i know this has been discussed before but...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rispsira

Reaction score
After reading and doing a lot of research i still dont know if i should go with a 2 channel dual recto like the rackmount version or a roadking/roadster (darker sound)

I know i know a lot of differences when it comes to versatility etc and i LOVE having the extra sounds of the roadking, but having the versatility of the mark V (not that the roadking will have the same sounds), my priority is the best RECTIFIER high gain tone i can get.

What would you choose if you forgot about versatility and price. Just that rectifier tone!!!

:? ?????

rispsira said:
my priority is the best RECTIFIER high gain tone i can get.

Do you like apples? or oranges? :?: :roll:
Only your ears can decide...I know its hard to find a Mesa dealer that carries all these options at one time, one location so you can test them all, but you really have to try. Sadly, no one else on this board hears what you hear or knows what you like... :wink:

I wish you...
Good luck! :D

No Guitar Centers near you? Sounds like a fun half day of amp tweaking at some store lucky enough to have someone buying an expensive amp. Ya know, I bought a MKV but really wanted that REC sound. Ended up picking up a used Single Rec on the cheap. Great stereo rig. Since money is not the overriding factor.

horse-1.gif

cmon guys... easy on me. Where i live, non of the high end gear is available and i have to buy it from abroad.

i cannot try ANYTHING. With the mark V it was an easy decision as i grew up with the mark sound and came to love it.

If i could try gear then i would only be asking specific questions perhaps such as setup etc, but in my case, the opinion/advice of guys like you have been the best thing and i appreciate it a lot..

Anyway. thanks.

The issue you are asking about has been well documented on this forum. Just do a search in the Rectifier Series area and you should get all the information you ever wanted!!!!

i know man i tried but i got more confused lol.

Ok lets do it this way: did you guys ever have like an amp "shootout" between the versions with clips i can hear? It just really sucks man between the standard dual and triple rectifiers the 2 channels, the three channels, the rackmount, the roadster an roadking, and the 2010 rectos (dono if there really has been a change to the tone maybe to get them closer to the 2 channels, though i dont since it has t do with the transformers..) im getting really confused.

If only i could hear some clips recorded the same way with a boost in front..

Dono man. Right now im looking at the dual rec rackmount vs the roadking (thats because from a review i understand that the 2010 rectos sound the same)

Of course all i care about is the recto tone not versatility. But if i end up liking the darker tone of the roadster i might py more ndget the roadking (never too much versatility!)

But so far im wondering if th rackmount (2 channels) will sound better to me than the roadtsre/roadking. (again thats suppoing that the 2010 sound just like the 3 channel rectos)

2 channels = tone. 3+ channels = versatility.

Anybody not in agreement with that can buy a plane ticket to Miami and we'll have an amp duel. :D :D

Thats exactly what i heard from this forum which is why assuming again that the 2010 rectos besides extra options sound likethe three channels and that i would go for the 2 channels or roadking.

1)M i assuming right in regard to the 2010 rectos? cause so far thats what i heard...
2) So if 2 channels = tone what about the 4 channels? :) are they an improvement over the 3 channels or would you say the 2 channels are still superior to the roadster/roadking recto tone?
3) with all the revisions on the 2 channels where does the rackmount version stand? should i consider them like any 2 channels and find out what the serial number is to get to the revision or do they sound the same?
4) ayone owned a 2 channels and purchased a 4 channels recto and compared them?

If you want a pure Recto tone, get a 2 Channel Recto. Period.

A Road King is close, and the Roadster is close as well. Very versatile amps.

But if tone is what you are after, the 2 Channel is the only way to fly.
I have a 2 Channel Recto and a modified 3 Channel Recto. The 2 channel spanks the 3 Channel,
but I leave it at home, because I need 3 channels in a band setting.

As for what you like more, only you can answer that. How would we know how you like the nuances of the individual amps.

As for sound clips, they can be found on YouTube all day long. Here are 3 decent ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUkvbc2HFgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It_k4uDnetU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgGnWufCjso

rispsira said:
Thats exactly what i heard from this forum which is why assuming again that the 2010 rectos besides extra options sound likethe three channels and that i would go for the 2 channels or roadking.

1)M i assuming right in regard to the 2010 rectos? cause so far thats what i heard...
2) So if 2 channels = tone what about the 4 channels? :) are they an improvement over the 3 channels or would you say the 2 channels are still superior to the roadster/roadking recto tone?
3) with all the revisions on the 2 channels where does the rackmount version stand? should i consider them like any 2 channels and find out what the serial number is to get to the revision or do they sound the same?
4) ayone owned a 2 channels and purchased a 4 channels recto and compared them?

1. Yes, the 2010 rectos, in theory, should sound like their 3 ch brothers. Haven't played one, never seen one, and neither have many around here, but it makes sense to my logic since it seems they have only made small little touches to a couple of options.

2. The 4 channels are an improvement over the 3 channels, many would say. In particular, the roadster. The roadster I have played was fizzy compared to my 2 channel at similar volumes. So, 2 ch wins for tone again.

3. The rackmount lands between revisions F and G. It will have a great clean channel (comparatively speaking) and a smooth, aggressive, organic distortion. It will not be as "up front" or "in your face" as a rev C, D, E. At the end of the day, all the revisions sound strikingly similar and you will do well with most any one of them.

4. Someone here must have.

theres a used dual rackmount serial 011658

Would that be a revision G or F. Would you advise me to go for that?

Thanks for all the useful info i REALLY appreciate it. Thanks a lot guys..

that's a G. If it's priced around $1200 +/- it's a good deal. I wouldn't pay more than 1300 though. This will be the "loosest" sounding of the 2 channel rectos, but not by leaps and bounds.

Latest posts

Back