Dual Rectifier Roadster - Issue with RAW and VINTAGE on CH.4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksport

Reaction score
I recently bought a used Dual Rectifier Roadster Combo 2x12 (about 3 years old).
So far everything looks quite fine, but as I'm getting used to dial in tones with the various modes, I'm starting to wonder whether the RAW and VINTAGE modes on Channel 4 are working correctly... :?:

When I switch from MODERN mode to VINTAGE in Channel 4, the volume drops quite massive (nearly like half as loud as before) and the sound gets very muffled. Switching further to RAW does not change anything for the good (the sound stays muffled).
To "fix" this issue the only help is to set the TREBEL to full to get the sound nearly as "clear" as it was before switching the modes.

Compared to switching the modes in Channel 3 (where "only" the sound characteristic changes but the sound overall stays loud and clear) this behaviour looks very strange to me. :shock:

Can anyone tell me whether this is normal? And if not, any idea where the fault could be? :?

Thanks and best regards,
rocksport

I too fight Channel 4 from time to time. The Modern to Vintage volume drop is totally normal and affects other Dual Rectifier line amps as well. I do wish there wasn't such a massive volume change between the modes but a quick lap through the manual will explain that its normal.

Channel 3 and channel 4 are voiced the same except for the sweep on the presence knob, channel 4 is much more extreme.

My Channel 4 in my 2x12 Roadster acted the same, until I cranked the Presence knob, which really "took the blanket off" the channel so to speak. Seriously, my presence knob does literally nothing to the channel until its at 3-4 o'clock or higher. Maybe another roadster owner can chime in with their experience?

Try putting the treble knob back to noon and play with the presence knob and see what happens.

That's completely normal for the amp. Channel 4 in modern mode requires very little presence but in Raw and Vintage modes the presence does nothing until it hits the upper end of its range. Nothing wrong with your amp.

Thanks andross182 & LithiumZero for your replies and the confirmation, that my amp is ok! :D
Now it's time to get some good tone out of it!

Any good setting proposals to get the amp to break up and have a nice heavy "metal core" style of tone? :twisted:
Or is that only achievable by adding an overdrive pedal infront...?

I don't think that the Roadster needs an OD in front and in fact I don't like the sound with one there. The amp has more than enough gain on tap. Avoid scooping the mids (unless you want to sound like that annoying guy at GC endlessly playing Enter Sandman) and remember that the treble is the most powerful control in the EQ section and works together with the gain control. Also, run the bass at 9:00 or less for higher gain sounds to keep it from getting muddy and loose. I never run the gain past 2:00 and it's a gain monster even with my PAF equipped Les Paul.

I'm not an expert on metal core or the various other breeds and subgenres of metal music but I do know metal players who consider the Rectifier distortion basically unusable for metal riffing without an OD pedal. It's not the amount of gain that is the issue here - any Recto has more than enough on tap, like you say - but, rather, its quality. Except for the very earliest Dual revisions (C, D, E), the distortion character is too loose for fast & tight thrash-style riffing and not particularly good for metal leads either.

Which is why some metal players like to stick an OD in front of the Rectos - not to increase the gain (pedal drive/gain is typically zeroed) but to tighten up the tone by cutting the excess lows before they turn into mud or flub in the Recto preamp. This is far more effective than trying to achieve the same with the bass pot. The OD pedal makes the distortion structure and overall tone more solid, more focused.
...or they just buy a different amp, like a 6505 or an Engl.

I don't have any issues with the amp not being tight enough for metal riffing without an OD in front. I do agree that the Peavey is an excellent choice for that music

Thanks for the feedback regarding the OD pedal...
Just bought a Maxon OD808 and put it in front of the roadster. It makes the sound so much more tight and adds a lovely load of sustain, that I definitely don't wanna miss anymore...!!
It just boosted (zero overdrive, full balance, tone at 12 o'clock) channel 3 in Vintage mode to a real, heavy vintage monster... :twisted:

Only thing I didn't achieve so far is getting the roadster to the "verge of clipping". Tried it with the stated OD settings above and modern mode of channel 4 but it didn't work out.

Any suggestions on OD or Amp settings for achieving the clipping of the tubes?
Or could there be a limitation by the pickups in my guitar (PRS Tremonti Signature 2007 with original Tremonti Pickups)...?

I guess, to achieve "clipping" of the power section, you might clean up the pre-amp section of the amp, turn the gain down, and volume up?

Latest posts

Back