Dual rectifier 12v fan mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slash_83

Reaction score
Hi,

I started using a dual rectifier from 2010 (multi watt)

I realized that the power transformer gives off an annoying buzzing/vibration
I've also noticed that it heats up a bit, not excessively (I can keep my hand on it despite the heat), but I think it's in any case warmer than e.g. the mark v's power transformer at the same use level
Wonder if it would be useful to add a fan, as for example in other mesa boogie amps

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions?

That transformer buzz can be real annoying but should be inaudible while playing.

Moving heat away from the amp is never a bad thing, but the amp is built for that environment.

I used to use a cheap clip on fan for long rehearsals when I first got my Roadster, but the fan died after a few months and I never replaced it. That was probably 2007 or 2008. I still play the amp regularly at band volumes.

Before that I had a Triple Recto I gigged for 6 years, never used a fan. Only sold it to fund the Roadster.

Totally optional, not detrimental to the amp, but unnecessary.

What were you thinking? Something permanent and powered by the amp?

Dom

That transformer buzz can be real annoying but should be inaudible while playing.

Moving heat away from the amp is never a bad thing, but the amp is built for that environment.

I used to use a cheap clip on fan for long rehearsals when I first got my Roadster, but the fan died after a few months and I never replaced it. That was probably 2007 or 2008. I still play the amp regularly at band volumes.

Before that I had a Triple Recto I gigged for 6 years, never used a fan. Only sold it to fund the Roadster.

Totally optional, not detrimental to the amp, but unnecessary.

What were you thinking? Something permanent and powered by the amp?

Dom

Thank you for your experience
I've owned this amp for a dozen years, I've used it very little.

I changed rectifier tubes once, while power tubes are a bit old.

I might think that the old tubes put a strain on the power transformer
It's warm enough, I can put my hand down and feel warmth, but not so hot that I have to take it off

You gave me a great idea anyway, before you do anything definitive, try a clip-on fan.

Anyway, what I think it was something as the v mark,taking 12v from 12v or similar, filament

Latest posts

Back