Dialing Your Amp In: Ear Plugs Or Not?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluff191

Reaction score
A friend came over and brought his amp along to compare to my Recto. He doesn't use ear plugs and we were playing at moderate volume levels (not bedroom levels) and without earplugs his amp sounded great, while mine sounded like the thinnest piece of crap ever. No low end. Once I got my earplugs in my amp sounded fantastic while his had no high end at all and was pretty boomy.

While I know ear plugs cut the highs alot, I have always used ear plugs to half-way dial in my amp, as the result is close to the recorded tone using an SM57 and hearing the amp for what it is in a moderate-to-high volume situation is impossible.

So my question is this:

A) Do you guys use any form of ear protection when dialing in a good tone (Or playing for that matter)? Or do you dial
in the tone as best as you can and then go for the ear plugs when the drummer gets there?

In my experience, the 'high definition' ear plugs only cut highs and some volume and are not representative for a very 'even' reduction. The classic foam ear plugs (to my ears anyways) seem to do a good job in reducing all frequencies fairly evenly.

Any input would be appreciated.

Unless the people coming to your shows are going to be wearing earplugs, I would dial it in without them.

For me I dial my Triple rect durings playing levels, once that sounds good to my ears - I plug in my earplugs and jam. But at the same time nothings perfect so when the drummer plays louder I'll tweak the settings along the way.

Unless everyone in the band wears them, earplugs are useless.
If I don't wear them and the bass player puts them in, guess what?
He's twice as loud as before.
Feh!

Good point. So lets say the whole band is wearing earplugs. Are you going to EQ your amp according to how it sounds with the earplugs in? Or out?

I EQ without earplugs, then put them in (if I put them in) afterwards. Most of the time I don't use them, even though I know I should. When I do use them, it's at the really large shows played with major label bands where you have a big *** PA blasting behind you and the sound on stage is relatively decent. I just use the cheap-o orange foam ones you can get in bulk at any pharmacy for cheap. They always seemed to work best for me, and you can just toss them when you're done.

I rehearse without earplugs but when i play live i use them cos i cant really hear **** anyways. Its more of a comfort thing. I dont think i'd ever dial in my amp with earplugs though - you just have to get used to the idea that it will sound worse when youve got them in but knowing the crowd are hearing good **** ;)

I use earplugs, because I have this kind of "blown speaker" effect going on in my ears if the frequencies and volume get above moderate levels. Just certain levels cause my ear to distort like a a blown speaker. So I need to ask the other guys, "how does the guitar sound." Foam plugs are too much so I depend on the type of earplug that cuts down on high frequencies (hearos). I do know that open back cabinets in well insulated rooms are much easier on the ears. A 4x12 marshall in a cinderblock basement or brick walled club is sheer pain!.

Cost of doing business after years of rock and roll and shooting guns.....so wear your earplugs and ask someone in audience or a sound guy, "how does it sound"

58boogie said:
Cost of doing business after years of rock and roll and shooting guns.....so wear your earplugs and ask someone in audience or a sound guy, "how does it sound"

That's a good way to do it too.

I know standing right in front of a Vintage 30 is not ideal for dialing in a good tone (I stand about 45 degrees off center from the speaker cab), but man I think some tube rolling is in order cause I got no low end in my sound with the ear plugs off!

I dial in my tone without earplugs at moderate volumes. After that, I put in the earplugs and crank to match drums. I personally think the only adjustment that would have to be made going from moderate to LOUD is to turn down the gain to compensate for the added roar from the speakers and the power section of the amp.
Worn tubes should be replaced but aside from that, is a lack of low end really a problem? I think that the bass guitar and drums add that in while the guitar is primarily about midrange. Yada, yada, etc etc.

My earplugs are in all the time, doesnt matter if im jamming with someone whos not using them or any of that.

My practice volume is close to what my stage volume is, but my settings on my amp are pretty much all around 12:00. Ive found that at super low all the way to super high volume, my tone doesnt change, so my settings stay that way anywhere. I adjust with my earplugs in, but there are times when I step into a different room or into the middle of the venue and wont have my plugs in, and the amp sounds great.

For shows you might as well adjust the tone to how the people by the stage. For a bigger venue youll be mic'd up, and then its up to their soundguy, or your soundguy to mic it right and eq it right. Generally, most people at shows will not have plugs, which sucks, so you might as well adjust for the majority.

Jerrick said:
My earplugs are in all the time, doesnt matter if im jamming with someone whos not using them or any of that.

My practice volume is close to what my stage volume is.

+1

I wear earplugs at all times, alone or with a band or at a show of any size.

. . . and you probably hear better than most people here. When I was gigging all the time, I'd always wear earplugs too. You'd think it is weird but even playing in orchestra, one's ears take a beating. I remember how my right one was always ringing because of the brass, and the worst part is that I couldn't even hear myself with earplugs in! At least with guitar, you can still hear yourself and the rest of the band! It just sucks that unprotected guitarists lose a few more Hz of high frequencies every time they enjoy a 100watt tube amp at moderate volumes =-/

Setting tone with plugs I think is a bad idea, plugs muddy the sound as you are no longer hearing the sound within the actual atmosphere where the sound is being produced.

Plugs used for rehearsal only, always sounds a bit dull and muddy, but playing live gigs no need for plugs, as there is plenty of space in venues for the sound to travel.

Most guitarists already lean towards using too much treble and ear plugs attenuate the treble even further.

Thus dialling the tone in with the plugs in your ears sounds like a recipe for icepick.

Myself, I always dial my amp in with my face right in front of the speakers, then I accept the slightly muddy off-axis sound as the cost of doing business with a 4x12.

Last gig I played a couple of weeks back, I tried using only one plug in my left ear (side nearest drummer) and this worked relatively well, I could still hear my "sound" clearly and keep the correct feel happening, and dampen out the drums a little.

I always dial in with no plugs and then put them in afterwards if I think it's going to be too loud - like 58boogie I have a 'distorting' ear above certain levels, so I don't play all that loud anyway, but I'm always careful.

If you're at a gig and you need to know about your volume and tone, ask a non-musician who hangs about with bands (no I don't mean the drummer! :) ) - someone like one of your girlfriends or the bar staff, who get used to listening to rock band mixes. They may not be able to tell a NOS tube from a Chinese firecracker or even a Mesa from a Marshall but if they tell you your guitar is too loud/quiet/bassy/harsh or whatever, *it is*.

94Tremoverb said:
They may not be able to tell a NOS tube from a Chinese firecracker or even a Mesa from a Marshall but if they tell you your guitar is too loud/quiet/bassy/harsh or whatever, *it is*.

+10

I have custom-molded hifi ear plugs that I use all the time. My ears were feeling too numb and ringing when I didn't have them so I spent the money and got some.

They're pretty "flat" (even frequency response) but they still take some getting used to. I put them in before the show--usually on the car ride to the show and listen to the car stero with them in just to get used to them.

Interestingly, I find I make better sound decisions with them in then when they're out. When they're out, things seem to sound better initially because "louder is better". But after a while of unprotected ear abuse, my ears go numb and I think I want more treble and more volume to compensate.

With the plugs in, things seem more bland at first (the volume is reduced by about 3/4). But my ears stay sharp all night. And live recordings have shown that my tones and mixes are better when I keep the plugs in.

Keep in mind I'm talking about proper musician's hifi plugs--not stuffing foam in my ears. And these custom-fitted plugs are better than the "hifi" Hearos you can get from the Guitar Center counter.

Latest posts

Back