Compare 1x12 Wide Body to ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramerxxx

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting the opinions of folks that have played and/or owned the new Mesa 1x12 wide body to the 1x12 3/4 open back and the original Mark Thiele cabinet.

I own both the 3/4 and the Thiele but would like to pick up the Wide body if it is truly a marriage of the two. I'd like to accomplish the low end of the Thiele with the openness of the 3/4.

Anyone own all three?

1x12 Widebody open back or 1x12 Widebody Thiele?

I have both.

The widebody open back sounds like an open back. They just made it wider so that it fits under the medium heads. Totally different sound/response than the Thiele.

screamingdaisy said:
1x12 Widebody open back or 1x12 Widebody Thiele?

I have both.

The widebody open back sounds like an open back. They just made it wider so that it fits under the medium heads. Totally different sound/response than the Thiele.

I am interested in the new Thiele version. How does this one sound low to mid volume?

IMHO the 1x12 3/4 back doesn't sound like an open back cab in that it has much better bass responce. The older Thiele cab isn't the best for clean tones, unless you play it VERY loud.

A closed-back cab and an open-back cab are a great combination. With the closed-back on the floor and the open-back on top of it, you get the bottom end of the lower cab coupled to the floor, and the "air" of the open-back on top of it. It's an amazingly big sound for just a pair of 12" speakers.

kramerxxx said:
I am interested in the new Thiele version. How does this one sound low to mid volume?

Like a ported cab. It's still basically a thump generator. It can't compete with an open back for clean to overdriven tones, but the open back can't compete with the Thiele for high gain and palm muting. It's why I use the pair of them, although there are times where I wish I had two Thieles instead (straight up high gain).

kramerxxx said:
IMHO the 1x12 3/4 back doesn't sound like an open back cab in that it has much better bass responce. The older Thiele cab isn't the best for clean tones, unless you play it VERY loud.

I have a Mark V combo with the widebody Thiele cabinet. At low volumes it doesn't really sound much like a Thiele, but as the volume goes up the bass becomes more apparent. It's a great combination.

Hello from England where I have been enraptured by most of Boogie's products for nearly 30 years and have owned and loved a lot of their output ever since and am now a badge,tie and blazer wearing member of the Mark Five club.
The one constant companion throughout this seemingly endless journey has been the old style Boogie Thiele 1x12 cabinet loaded with an EV12L.This gives an immense bottom end and as your previous correspondent rightly says it's best place is on the floor.
I have placed Marks 1,111 AND 1V Combos atop this ( I don't think the Mark 11c ever made it across the pond !) every time with splendid results because you always had the perfect marriage of low-end grunt from the sealed cabinet and the sweet zingy highs from the half - back of the combos, which incidentally were always loaded with the Black Shadow EVs.
Now some may argue that having two EVs in tandem like this would provoke an overly clinical, almost too clean tonality.
However I always found that with the incredible amount of headroom on offer in this combination, if you spent time wedding the tone and volume controls of the guitar to the particular nuances of the amplifier (sadly an endangered species of guitar culture) then a whole world of sonic possibilities was there to be explored if you could think in terms of the amplifier and attendant cabinetry as being instruments of their own right in themselves.
I now have a Mark Five head, two open back 1x12s and a pair of antique 1x12 Thieles
all loaded with very old EVs and the results are superb.
It's a virtual 4x12 at a quarter of the weight, it's a vertical 2x12, it's a horizontal 2x12 and gosh golly it's both at the same time ! How much more versatility can you want ?
A wholehearted endorsement of the good old Thiele 1x12.

ave said:
Hello from England where I have been enraptured by most of Boogie's products for nearly 30 years and have owned and loved a lot of their output ever since and am now a badge,tie and blazer wearing member of the Mark Five club.
The one constant companion throughout this seemingly endless journey has been the old style Boogie Thiele 1x12 cabinet loaded with an EV12L.This gives an immense bottom end and as your previous correspondent rightly says it's best place is on the floor.
I have placed Marks 1,111 AND 1V Combos atop this ( I don't think the Mark 11c ever made it across the pond !) every time with splendid results because you always had the perfect marriage of low-end grunt from the sealed cabinet and the sweet zingy highs from the half - back of the combos, which incidentally were always loaded with the Black Shadow EVs.
Now some may argue that having two EVs in tandem like this would provoke an overly clinical, almost too clean tonality.
However I always found that with the incredible amount of headroom on offer in this combination, if you spent time wedding the tone and volume controls of the guitar to the particular nuances of the amplifier (sadly an endangered species of guitar culture) then a whole world of sonic possibilities was there to be explored if you could think in terms of the amplifier and attendant cabinetry as being instruments of their own right in themselves.
I now have a Mark Five head, two open back 1x12s and a pair of antique 1x12 Thieles
all loaded with very old EVs and the results are superb.
It's a virtual 4x12 at a quarter of the weight, it's a vertical 2x12, it's a horizontal 2x12 and gosh golly it's both at the same time ! How much more versatility can you want ?
A wholehearted endorsement of the good old Thiele 1x12.

wow... yea.. whatever he just said :|

Latest posts

Back