Celestion Sidewinder in Studio 22

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurentB

Reaction score
I started out on electric guitar using a 100W London City tube amplifier (kind of Marshall like head) and a huge bass speaker cabinet with a 15" speaker. Now, since 15 inch is obviously a bit too large for a guitar, at some point I decided I was going to build a stereo guitar amplification system using two 12"cabinets. A friend knew more about such stuff than I and recommended Celestion 150W Sidewinder speakers to me, which I indeed ordered. This was 30+ years ago, but I still have that 2x 12"cabinet that I later put those speakers in.

Last weekend I tested that cabinet with my Studio 22 amplifier and it sounded MUCH better. So now I transferred one of those speakers to the Mesa Boogie, and although that has a smaller, open-backed cabinet that is bound to sound differently, I think it does sound better. Warmer and more refined I think.
Since it's a 150W speaker it's a bit heavier as well, but it's still manageable. And it looks better from the back, I think
🙂

The original speaker (left) doesn't mention any brand by the way, what would that be, anyone knows?

Attachments

• new speaker 1 small.jpg
    new speaker 1 small.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 0
  • new speaker 2 small.jpg
    new speaker 2 small.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 0
I started out on electric guitar using a 100W London City tube amplifier (kind of Marshall like head) and a huge bass speaker cabinet with a 15" speaker. Now, since 15 inch is obviously a bit too large for a guitar, at some point I decided I was going to build a stereo guitar amplification system using two 12"cabinets. A friend knew more about such stuff than I and recommended Celestion 150W Sidewinder speakers to me, which I indeed ordered. This was 30+ years ago, but I still have that 2x 12"cabinet that I later put those speakers in.

Last weekend I tested that cabinet with my Studio 22 amplifier and it sounded MUCH better. So now I transferred one of those speakers to the Mesa Boogie, and although that has a smaller, open-backed cabinet that is bound to sound differently, I think it does sound better. Warmer and more refined I think.
Since it's a 150W speaker it's a bit heavier as well, but it's still manageable. And it looks better from the back, I think
🙂

The original speaker (left) doesn't mention any brand by the way, what would that be, anyone knows?
67 is an eminence code and I believe you are looking at the back in black VS-12, 50W. Many were painted black but some have the Vintage Black Shadow sticker, it being the 1st variant of a VBS.

Common in the bottom of 80's halfbacks and the lighter of the studio/DC series.

I didn't know the sidewinder came in the standard celestion label version. Mine has the graphics on it.

Just had the first rehearsal with the Celestion in my amplifier, it really sounds much better, really great! :)
It's got a warmer but still clear sound, with less harsh midrange tones and more sparkling trebles, I find.

Last edited:
Back