Boogie Mark V brown sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a little late to the party but reading all the comments of how good of a tone you achieved did you manage to post the settings. Having hard time getting that tone.

I can’t open the sound cloud. Is it still available ? Or settings posted. Or any good posting for brown sound tone settings for mark v ?

Hello mate,

I no longer have a Soundcloud account or a Boogie so I'm of limited usefulness! But the settings were basically as follows.

Treble at the sweet spot around two-thirds, mids at halfway, bass nearly off, gain at full. Presence was just over halfway IIRC.

I had the amp in 90w mode with everything on max (no Variac or any other reduced power settings). Presence was just over half. Here are the graphic settings again:

80Hz as high as possible before flub. Maybe 90%
240Hz bang in the middle
750Hz a whisker above the bottom line (same as Petrucci I think)
2200Hz exactly halfway between the bottom two lines
6600Hz bang in the middle

The channel was at 50% volume and the master was used to bring up the overall level in line with a drummer. Volume is a big part of this tone. For this recording I used an Ownhammer V30 sim, but I always preferred using a real mic in front of my Recto 2x12" when I had the amp.

I will say YMMV a lot with this tone. I think it's very reliant on pickups and wood type. I always liked the Custom Custom in ash, or the EVH Wolfgang pickup in basswood, or in this case the SSH+ in basswood/maple. I always feel like the trick is to get the right blend of woody sustain from the guitar topped off with a little extra push and zing from the pickup. The last component is to turn up nice and loud and pick HARD.

All fairly useless without the original clip, I will go and see if it's still on my Mac.

Does the Channel 2 with "Crunch" on the 90 watt have a mid-boost? Dialed this in on my V:25 and it sounds amazing. Only difference was I added some more mids in the preamp section.

Back