Mark V:35 Say WHAT?!?! Short Head and 1x12 combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy as a lark with my V:25 still even with the announcement of this new amp. I can't justify any more of an amp for my situation anyway so it works out well for me.

I WILL say though... why two solo boost modes? I would have rather seen FX loop on/off button instead of another solo boost...

Dreamtheaterrules said:
polaris20 said:
I had that iPad too. :lol: and I agree with everything else. 10 watts is literally the difference between two speakers of differing efficiency. The solo boost, if it's that important to you, is easily solved. I prefer the smaller, lighter head. You know what I'm "pissed" about? That they've not announced a TA/RA replacement! :lol:

Amen brother! I've been waiting for that for over a year. Thinking I may need to try an Electra Dyne and Royal Atlantic now that they are so affordable on the used market. If one of them blows me away I'd just keep my TA15 and be done amp shopping for a while. If not, I love my V25 so much I may just go ahead with my initial intention and get a full sized Mark V.

My next amp needs to be British-ey, so it'll either be whatever the TA/RA replacement is, or quite possibly the rumored Friedman Runt.

MusicManJP6 said:
I WILL say though... why two solo boost modes? I would have rather seen FX loop on/off button instead of another solo boost...

I'm curious about this.

I'm thinking Mesa has a new effects loop design. The ED never had a master output, just a channel master and no effects send knob on the rear. Plugging a cable into the send jack engages the loop, unplugging it hard bypasses it. Simple.

I'm guessing they liked this design as every amp released post ED seems to have this same setup, and generally people seem really satisfied with the tone of Mesa's newer amps, and people no longer post questions on here about how to dial in the channel/global master/effects send levels.

Every amp post ED also lacks a tuner mute and solo boost (until now), so maybe this is their attempt to correct that.

As for why it has two separate boosts, I figure it's either something really practical, such as each channel reacts differently, or something really silly, such as Mesa thinking the amp looked better with two knobs instead of one.

I'm curious to see if this new loop makes its way onto future revisions of the full size Recto or Mark...?

elvis said:
After churning this around in my head, I've come to agree with ryjan that we were used as a test market for the Mark V:25.

Of course, we were equally used as a test market for...

Electradyne
Royal Atlantic
Mark V
Mini Rectifier
Rectoverb 25
Cab Clone
etc.

Mesa is not a huge company. They do not have a "test market" per se. We are it.

If an amp tests well, sometimes it makes it to Rev 2, or G, or whatever.

Be that as it may, I still think the 25 is a sweet piece of gear, and its record sales are proof of that. I don't blame them for taking the complaints that prevented some from buying the 25 and then turning right around to make a bigger brother. They know they have struck gold with the mini Mark so why not capitalize with different flavors to try to suit all needs to generate more sales?

I don't feel duped in the slightest.

elvis said:
After churning this around in my head, I've come to agree with ryjan that we were used as a test market for the Mark V:25.

Of course, we were equally used as a test market for...

Electradyne
Royal Atlantic
Mark V
Mini Rectifier
Rectoverb 25
Cab Clone
etc.

Mesa is not a huge company. They do not have a "test market" per se. We are it.

If an amp tests well, sometimes it makes it to Rev 2, or G, or whatever.

So is it Mesa testing the market, or is the market testing Mesa?

Doesn't the whole world work by this process ? Does anyone feel used by the entire world ?

MusicManJP6 said:
Be that as it may, I still think the 25 is a sweet piece of gear, and its record sales are proof of that. I don't blame them for taking the complaints that prevented some from buying the 25 and then turning right around to make a bigger brother. They know they have struck gold with the mini Mark so why not capitalize with different flavors to try to suit all needs to generate more sales?

I don't feel duped in the slightest.

Agree with every word of this.

I wish i'd know this was coming out. I wanted a small combo version of the MKV. I bought an Express 5:50 a few months back and I'm considering returning it or trading it in to get a MKV 35. Looks like it has some really good features and a solo control which is what I wanted.

After all that reading it got me wondering . . . do i have to think that a 84' IIC+, a 74' Plexi or even more, a 59' Les Paul is obsolete ???? . . .

Man, I would love to have an obsolete 1960 Porsche Abarth 356B Carrera GTL in my garage . . .

Vigo,

yes, those are all worthless obsolete marketing ploys, and you don't want any of them! :lol:

Speaking of which, I saw a really nice black and gold "Smokey and the Bandit" Trans Amp last weekend. I thought it was pretty cool.

I went into to a local shop because I wanted to see if they had the 35, but was too early. However someone had brought their v:25 in on consignment (only a month old, he'd never used it). I lucked out and bought that (had just met someone and sold my h&k grandmeister so had money in hand :) ). It's perfect for me, solo boost and more headroom would be nice but I love the how compact the 25 is. Going to be traveling a lot next year and this is perfect for that. Of course they are Boogie is going to come out with new stuff but doesn't diminish the 25 to me at all. Even though I wanted to the see the 35 (and still do) but was going to buy the 25 anyway.

DT Rules . . . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

those Pontiacs are also welcome in my garage . . . :wink: on a side note, that film here in Brazil was called "Catch me if you can".

but i never saw a Smokey and the Bandit amp . . . :?

Vigo, He didn't have an amp. But if he did, it would have been a Mesa Boogie! (Black with gold stripes. :lol: )

Streuth, congrats on the amp. You're gonna love that thing!

Dreamtheaterrules said:
Vigo, He didn't have an amp. But if he did, it would have been a Mesa Boogie! (Black with gold stripes. :lol: )

Streuth, congrats on the amp. You're gonna love that thing!

Thanks, used it at practice tonight, really happy to be back in boogie land. Love the cleans and how much variation there is on the second channel.

big +1 on both, but wait til you get some time with the Crunch channel. It is exceptional! But really, so are all the modes once you dial them in. This amp can seemingly do almost anything. It's the only amp I've ever played, that if for some reason I could only have one amp, I'd be perfectly happy with this one!

Yea what ive tried of crunch was really cool although wish crunch was on channel 2

Play with the Crunch channel and varying the gain, mids and presence knobs. You can get anything from light breakup, to classic rock to hard rock, from smooth to crunchy. Just a KILLER channel. With the gain up to 1:00 or so, varying the mids from 9:00-3:00 gives you a huge variety of tones (and gain levels as the boost kicks in over noon). The presence can be used to open it up or to smooth it out.

I keep repeating the same things over and over about this amp, but I'll say this one again, if it had either clean voice as C1, and the Crunch Channel as C2, and no other voices, it would still be the best amp in it's price range IMO. But the same could be said for Clean/IIC+ or Fat/IV or .... they are all great! But I know what you mean. Mesa has packed so much into this little beast, that EVERYONE is going to have a their "if it had Crunch on C2 instead, it would be perfect" type preferences.

Mesa made this thing SO good, that us users don't want to give anything up. I laugh when I read people say that they really want to be able to footswitch between all 6 voices. Yes, that would be extremely cool. But with volume and EQ differences, not practical. It's just that they've put SO much great stuff in here, we want it all at once. There are no "ah, it's not bad" or "yeah it's pretty good" channels in this thing. They are ALL not only usable, they are all GREAT. 3 years ago, if Mesa had released this but with clean or fat on C1, and IIC+ on C2, and no other voices, it would have sold like crazy, we'd all have gone crazy over it and we'd all be happy. Instead, they gave us so much great stuff, it's sometimes hard to choose which two we want to switch between. I flip them almost daily, and enjoy the heck out of all of them.

Dreamtheaterrules said:
It's the only amp I've ever played, that if for some reason I could only have one amp, I'd be perfectly happy with this one!

I've had mine for about a year and it IS my only amp. I can't afford or justify anything more, nor do I need anything more! I've been more than content with it since day one. They really did a great job with the mini Mark, and it is plenty of power/headroom for my modest needs. I have owned many Mesas in the past including two full size Mark V's (separated by an AXE FX). The Mark series seems to get me the closest to my ideal tone that bounces around my squirrel brain the most. I have no doubt the 35 is one hell of an amp as well that will be a perfect fit for those that need a little more heavy lifting than the mini offers. If the DC-3 is anything of an indicator then I know the balls 4xEL84's can surprisingly put out. They managed to squeeze a good bit of oomph out of even the pair of EL84's in the mini so I bet an updated DC-3 power section would perform even better these days. I'll definitely try one out if I come across one, but I don't expect GAS to be an issue.

Anyone got their hands on a MKV35 yet? I've got to wait till mid dec over here in the UK before they turn up.

Back