Mark V:35 Say WHAT?!?! Short Head and 1x12 combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ryjan said:
Thank you Mesa Boogie for tanking the value of my less than a year old V:25. :evil:

I really don't appreciate being a test market so that I and any others who bought your "new" product can take it in the *** when you make what we spent our hard earned money on obsolete less than a f#%$#ing year later.

Dick move Mesa.

Agreed!! This would of been a nice option when I purchased the 25, now I can shell out more $$ for 10 watts and a solo feature or try and sale my outdated 25 on eBay that no one will prob want because of the 35. How about a trade in program for us folk who bought a 25 at launch? Since we did you a pleasure of being a test market. Seems resonable to me.

Justin_Blackened said:
$1599 for the Head.

$1799 for the combo.

Decent price point.

I was shocked to see that the 90 watt Mark V head is now 2350$.

I don't think this obsoletes the 25 at all.

If I'm buying today I'm probably still getting the 25

Smaller for factor.
16 lbs.

And fits PERFECTLY on top of my Fryette power station.

Don't mistake the power station either. I haven't actually needed to use it yet with 25. It's main use has been an attenuator/effects loop for my JCM 800.

MarkV25PowerStationFront_zpssaojngat.jpg

MarkV25PowerStationSide_zpsuf5djuyp.jpg

primal said:
Justin_Blackened said:
$1599 for the Head.

$1799 for the combo.

Decent price point.

I was shocked to see that the 90 watt Mark V head is now 2350$.

I don't think this obsoletes the 25 at all.

If I'm buying today I'm probably still getting the 25

Smaller for factor.
16 lbs.

Yeah smaller and lighter. 35 head is 27lbs so 10lb/5kgs lighter. Which is quite alot in fact 39% lighter almost half.
Its also 1 1/8" (2.85cm 13.5%) Shorter, 4 7/8" (12.4cm 25.8%) thinner and 2 1/8" (5.4cm 13%) narrower. Thats considerable.

If you ignore the size the 35 does to the 25 what the Rectoverb did to the mini rec. But just on size they are way different. However I bet they will sound so similar that in it would be splitting hairs especially in recording.

The way I see it.

If you had to own 2 Mark V's (ignoring combos for a minute) It makes sense to own a full size V and a 25. But does it make sense to own a V and a 35? or a 25 and 35? Not really at least in my opinion.

- V and 35 are similar sizes and if you wanna go small and portable with your monster V the 25 is the right choice.
- 35 and 25 are to close to eachother to own both.

However if the 35 was really a 45 with 2 6L6's You could justify having a 25 aswell. Because its different enough.

Combinations could be.

- V and 25
- 45 and 25

So really Mesa has eliminated a potential customer. Someone that wants the 6L6 juice of the V but not all the features (myself I am a simple player) slighty smaller and 17lb(7.5ish KG's) lighter thats more than the V:25 weighs!!! I mean the 35 is close to that, but is it really?

Id be in the market for a stripped down V with 45w and 6L6's but with already owning a V:25 it would make no sense to pick up a 35.

****HOWEVER.

Havent even played it yet. maybe we are looking at the el84's to critically and should let the amp do the talking?

I think Mesa is on to something with there dynawatt power section. Although I've never heard one.

My V:25 is plenty for me, so I won't be getting one. But I'm curious as to why the combo is using the Black Shadow speaker instead of the Fillmore speaker? Seemed Mesa was quite high on that speaker for a while. What happened?

I have been waiting to see what was coming. I shouldn't say it is a disappointment but for me it is :| . I was hoping for an EL34 based amp for a new addition to my tool box. I love my Mark V and I have been able to use it at every gig, even the small ones. Once I figured out how to get good tone at low volume levels my other amps are dragged along strictly for backup amps and when we get guest players.

I was hoping for a follow up and expansion of the Royal Atlantic for Mesa's next release. I am really getting into the EL34 tones I am hearing from some other amps. I wanted a multi channel (3 complete channels) Boogie EL34 amp because Mesa's are so well made and the service is is awesome. I live in California and there is a Boogie store right in Hollywood just a couple of hours from me. It is getting close to gear buying time. I only buy gear every other year for tax purposes. I got my Mark V in the beginning of 2013 so I have been window shopping and waiting to see what Mesa was going to come out with all year.

BTW: I took me most all of 2013 to learn how to drive, so to speak, the Mark V properly. Maybe I should try EL34s in the Mark V.

As for the Mark 25 or 35.... For me ...naaa...why?

"Technically... double the power only adds about 3dB of overall volume."

(Have to edited my own thread reply from 10hrs ago. Please ignore the following misinformation I posted:
["3db increase is a doubling of volume. (nonlinear)"],
That (my) statement is simply not true. Editing and not removing incase someone read it and took it at face value to be true, which it is not.
3db is a noticeable difference in apparent sound volume and needs a doubling of power, but it is not a doubling of volume. After some double checking, a number of sources state that a doubling of apparent volume requires a 9 to 10db increase. Sorry about the Blah, and thanks for those who knew it and still chose not to give me a ribbing. For which you still may, if it will help).

Should be nice to hear how that headroom sits. I've been a fan of the studio 22 forever, but it just doesn't deliver any depth at volume. I will be comparing the 35 against my 22 rather than V or 25.
I can see why people are debating whether this should have been two ELs or 6's.
Can't wait to hear it regardless.

Edited by OryCheyne, after a good sleep.

OldTelecasterMan said:
I have been waiting to see what was coming. I shouldn't say it is a disappointment but for me it is :| . I was hoping for an EL34 based amp for a new addition to my tool box. I love my Mark V and I have been able to use it at every gig, even the small ones. Once I figured out how to get good tone at low volume levels my other amps are dragged along strictly for backup amps and when we get guest players.

I was hoping for a follow up and expansion of the Royal Atlantic for Mesa's next release. I am really getting into the EL34 tones I am hearing from some other amps. I wanted a multi channel (3 complete channels) Boogie EL34 amp because Mesa's are so well made and the service is is awesome.

THIS ^^^^^^ My thoughts exactly I really want a EL34 amp from Mesa with three channels and a lot of options.

Justin_Blackened said:
ryjan said:
Thank you Mesa Boogie for tanking the value of my less than a year old V:25. :evil:

I know the feeling man. I would go for this over the 25 for sure (despite its cuteness). I estimate it will be 30-40% more expensive however. So thats a factor.

I wouldnt get to fired up though. As I said the 25 is a home run, you know you love it ;) if anything im more concerned the 35 is almost pointless. The 25 sounds huge enough as it is, how different will the 35 sound? But time will tell once I test one out, videos help but not alot.

I know and I still really love my V:25 but I can't help but be pissed that I was used as a test market. If they introduced a Mark VI a year after the V came out I would feel the same.

I love my Mrk V 25. And I am going to make another Boogie purchase. But looking at this new offerings features and price point.... I think I`ll just keep my eye out for a Mrk V head.

OryCheyne said:
Should be nice to hear how that headroom sits. I've been a fan of the studio 22 forever, but it just doesn't deliver any depth at volume. I will be comparing the 35 against my 22 rather than V or 25.
I can see why people are debating whether this should have been two ELs or 6's.
Can't wait to hear it regardless.

I'm coming from a Studio .22+ combo and think this combo would be a great upgrade from that though I think I'd kinda like it a little better if it used 6L6s and had a MKI mode on the dirty channel.
I use the 22+ with a Private Jack speaker in the combo cab on top of a Thiele cab with an EVM12L and thing that cab would work great for this amp too.

I bought a Mark V 25 to use as a practice amp and lightweight, grab and go alternative to my c+ combo. If I was trying to decide today which one to buy I would still go with the 25. Two more el84's wouldn't make that much of difference to me. Big Tone comes from big tubes and transformers. The only new amp I'd be interested in is a c+ reissue.

All I know is that I went from having a unique and desirable product one day and having it reduced to the "base model" which be over abundant on the used market and devalued the next.
If you sell boutique, high end products at a boutique, high end price point then I expect that company to protect it's customer's investments. Any fool who runs out to get the V:35 will have it shoved up their a#$% next year when the 2X6L6 version is introduced.
This is a true slap in the face to all of us who purchased a new V:25.

ryjan said:
All I know is that I went from having a unique and desirable product one day and having it reduced to the "base model" which be over abundant on the used market and devalued the next.
If you sell boutique, high end products at a boutique, high end price point then I expect that company to protect it's customer's investments. Any fool who runs out to get the V:35 will have it shoved up their a#$% next year when the 2X6L6 version is introduced.

You need to learn Mesa's history.

Mark I, II, IIB, IIC, IIC+, III, III Purple, III Red, III Coliseum, III Blue, III Green, IV, IVB, V, V:25, V:35.

Dual Recto Rev C, D, E, F, G, Triple Recto Rev F, G, Trem-O-Verb, 3 Ch Dual/Triple, Road King I & 2, Roadster, Multi-Watt Dual/Triple, Mini-Recto, Rectoverb 25.

Stiletto 1 & 2. Lonestar 1 & 2, TA-15 & 30. ElectraDyne & Royal Atlantic.

If Mesa followed your logic they would've never released the IIC+ or the Rev G Recto.

I feel with any Mesa product you're competing with their price as new when it comes to resale and value. If the V:25 retail price has gone up since you bought it then you're good. The extra wattage comes at what I would say is a hefty percentage increase. The only way you lose resale value is if folks wanted a 1x12 and you elected against it buying the head anyway.

Like I posted elsewhere, I was pissed for less than a minute. If I wanted a solo boost I could add a very good clean boost for around $150 or less and the extra watts aren't why I bought a V:25. I'm OK.

Now bring on a new Triaxis with cabclone!

I've got to agree with daisy. Mesa is not an investment firm, they make guitar amps. Guitar gear is always going to have depreciation. Even if Mesa didn't make a V:25 killer, you can bet that the other guys will keep trying. Mesa has to keep running to stay ahead.

Atma
DSL 40
Orange Terror Series
Tubemeister
AC30
Classic 30
Black Pearl 30
Deluxe Reverb
PRS 30
Archon 25

elvis said:
I've got to agree with daisy. Mesa is not an investment firm, they make guitar amps. Guitar gear is always going to have depreciation. Even if Mesa didn't make a V:25 killer, you can bet that the other guys will keep trying. Mesa has to keep running to stay ahead......

+1

Besides, buying a guitar amp as an investment IMHO is really not a good choice.

I buy my amps to play them.....

Dom

ryjan said:

Agreed again! Mark V 25 just became old news and its resale will definitely drop. This was a poor move
That will hurt the existing V 25 customer. With this news and looking at Mesas new pricing seems to me
they are starting to only care about the quick way to make $$$. Its an easy fix though: Have a trade in program for us customers who bought a V 25 at launch. We did Mesa a favor and paid them to be their test market!!

This is ridiculous. Cast your minds back to when everyone said how cool would it be to have a mini mark like the mini rec. They gave you what you wanted now that they have offered something that sits between the mini and the big V y'all crying foul. If you really wanted more you could have just bought the big V with all the features you wished the 25 and 35 had like Mark 1 mode and 6L6's? The big V does have 10 watt mode you know.

Back