Mark V:35 Say WHAT?!?! Short Head and 1x12 combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barryswanson said:
This is ridiculous. Cast your minds back to when everyone said how cool would it be to have a mini mark like the mini rec. They gave you what you wanted now that they have offered something that sits between the mini and the big V y'all crying foul. If you really wanted more you could have just bought the big V with all the features you wished the 25 and 35 had like Mark 1 mode and 6L6's? The big V does have 10 watt mode you know.

Agreed.

People asked for a Mini-Mark. Mesa gave them a Mini-Mark.

People said, "I like the Mini-Mark, but I wish it had more headroom, a solo boost, and was available in a combo". Mesa gave them more headroom, a solo boost, and a combo.

Maybe the whiners would prefer it if Mesa stopped listening to their customers?

screamingdaisy said:
barryswanson said:
This is ridiculous. Cast your minds back to when everyone said how cool would it be to have a mini mark like the mini rec. They gave you what you wanted now that they have offered something that sits between the mini and the big V y'all crying foul. If you really wanted more you could have just bought the big V with all the features you wished the 25 and 35 had like Mark 1 mode and 6L6's? The big V does have 10 watt mode you know.

Agreed.

People said, "I like the Mini-Mark, but I wish it had more headroom, a solo boost, and was available in a combo". Mesa gave them more headroom, a solo boost, and a combo.

I guess Mesa listened to their customers when we asked them to raise prices on the amps as well...

screamingdaisy said:
Agreed.

Nope... Maybe Mesa could have listened to customers before made the V25. Everyone I know that have V25 (including me) wanted the boost for solos. I don't know what Mesa was thinking when released the V25 without that.

This new V:35 have almost the same dimensions of V:90 but almost same sound of V:25.
Result: You don't the portability of V:25 nor the amount of sound of V:90.

I understand where those who are upset with this coming out after the V25, but I don't think it is that big of a deal.

It does sound to me like Mesa was listening to there customers when they came out with the 35.

To me the added cost weight and size outweigh (no pun intended) 10 more watts and a solo boost.

Your 25 sounds just as good today as it did last week. As did those with the 90 watt Mark V when the V25 came out.

No point complaining that the MV:25 doesn't suit after you bought it. I really wanted the V25, but decided not to get one based on it not completely meeting my needs. Now I'm excited by the V35 that I waited for while everyone else was enjoying the V25, it's almost perfect for me.
To a previous post complaining about price, if you want a cheap amp go somewhere else. Mesa don't do cheap and that is one of the great things about them.

Will there be more complaining when the V45 arrives next year with a pair of big bottles and separate clean and crunch modes or some other cool offering ?

Having choice is great, thanks Mesa, keep it up.

I used to exchange messages with a member on this board who was interested in the Axe FX.

This was back when I used the Ultra.

We probably went back and forth for 6 months till he finally sold a bunch of gear to buy the Axe FX Ultra.

Not a full month later (I think it was right about 3 weeks) Fractal announced the Axe FX II

You want to talk about pissed!

I even felt bad.

Yep it's always going to happen. I had my ED for about a year when the RA 100 came. I hated shelling out for the RA so soon after the ED, but the RA suits me much better and I haven't thought about the cost in years.

Gotta love evolution :lol:

DelRei said:
This new V:35 have almost the same dimensions of V:90 but almost same sound of V:25.
Result: You don't the portability of V:25 nor the amount of sound of V:90.

Exactly. Its an odd middle ground. As I said it wouldnt make sense to own a 35 and a 25, or a 35 and a V.

A 45/50 6L6 version of the 35 would of slotted perfectly in the middle and have been another 10/10 from Mesa.

screamingdaisy said:

I hope they listen and make a stripped down 6L6 V with 50 watts. I have the money ready mesa.

Also I seriously dont know why people consider a solo boost a 'deal breaker' sure its nice to have but there are thousands of pedal options to choice from. Its like the onboard reverb, yeah its nice to have. But some people dont like it and use their favorite pedal instead.

With pedals you get to shape the type of boost you get frequencies, gain and volume. The solo boost on the 35 is just a volume button. I agree with most and think it should of been a standard feature on the 25. But a deal breaker? if someone is really that picky they should get a custom built amp because the chances of a mass produced amp meeting every single need is tiny.

ryjan said:
This is a true slap in the face to all of us who purchased a new V:25.

If the V:25 was not quite there for you but bought it any way because it was the only Full sized mark alternative I fully get it. But they arent close enough to be competing with eachother to the point the 25 is obsolete at least imo.

If you look at my comparison from earlier (I go into actual %'s). The size and weight difference is huge, the 35 is not a 'grab and go' portable option like the 25. The 35 is the same size as the old mark short heads, not exactly a mini head. Im willing to bet the 25 will out sell the 35 no problems.

xdg999 said:
I bought a Mark V 25 to use as a practice amp and lightweight, grab and go alternative to my c+ combo. If I was trying to decide today which one to buy I would still go with the 25. Two more el84's wouldn't make that much of difference to me. Big Tone comes from big tubes and transformers. The only new amp I'd be interested in is a c+ reissue.

Yep the 35 doesnt fit your bill as will it wont alot of 25 owners.

nathan28 said:
ryjan said:
All I know is that I went from having a unique and desirable product one day and having it reduced to the "base model" which be over abundant on the used market and devalued the next.
If you sell boutique, high end products at a boutique, high end price point then I expect that company to protect it's customer's investments. Any fool who runs out to get the V:35 will have it shoved up their a#$% next year when the 2X6L6 version is introduced.
This is a true slap in the face to all of us who purchased a new V:25.

Agreed again! Mark V 25 just became old news and its resale will definitely drop. This was a poor move
That will hurt the existing V 25 customer. With this news and looking at Mesas new pricing seems to me
they are starting to only care about the quick way to make $$$. Its an easy fix though: Have a trade in program for us customers who bought a V 25 at launch. We did Mesa a favor and paid them to be their test market!!

First Mesa is not boutique and does not sell at boutique prices, if this was true the Mini Mark would be selling for over 2k like the soldano or friedman small amps.

Second, Really you guys are just bitching to *****, the 35 sits between the 25 and full size version and like many series amps they bring more to the table with extra features for extra money. The DC series had the DC2, DC3, DC5 and DC10 and each has their fan base, same with the rectifier series, they had at first the dual, then released the triple and single, them many more as we know. Basically what I am saying is they have not discontinued the Mark 25 and there will still be demand for it from the people that want a easy portable mini amp, where people that dont care as much but want a lower wattage amp with more features will pay the extra for the Mark 35.

Third it was only time before the Mark V 25's went down in price on the used market, actually it has been going for the last few months as i have seen the used prices on Mark 25's dropping down to about $1050 used. I predict at first they will take about a $150 to $200 drop from there as the market gets flooded with people selling off to get the 35, but once it gets stable they will go back to about 1k used. A good example of this is the Mini recto's, when the mini recto-verb came out the mini's dropped down to about $650 on the used market and you could pick them up all day long at that price, but now they are back up and sell between $650 and $800 depending on how old and condition of the amp.

As to me I still love my 25 and have no plans to sell it to get a 35, only thing the 35 has that I wish my 25 would have is the solo boost, but honestly a pedal in the loop is just as good. As to wanting it in a combo, pick up a used mark IV small conbo on ebay and do a little modification to it and you can fit your 25 watt mark in it. But the reason i still love my 25 is I want a really small amp that is easy to carry.

The amount of butt hurt and self-entitlement in this thread is **** funny.

polaris20 said:

I can not disagree.

I think this is going to be a great new amp from everything I've seen. There are some really nice upgrades from the V:25, but not enough that I'd want to replace mine (which I LOVE) any time soon.

On the other hand, I know people that wanted the V:25, but really needed a combo, and this is going to be great for them.

I can't wait to see some of these innovations move over to the full sized Mark V. Even as a rev 2, some of these changes, particularly the midboost and GREAT crunch and iic+ tones, are making me wanting this in a three channel configuration.

dlpasco said:
polaris20 said:

I can not disagree.

I think this is going to be a great new amp from everything I've seen. There are some really nice upgrades from the V:25, but not enough that I'd want to replace mine (which I LOVE) any time soon.

On the other hand, I know people that wanted the V:25, but really needed a combo, and this is going to be great for them.

I can't wait to see some of these innovations move over to the full sized Mark V. Even as a rev 2, some of these changes, particularly the midboost and GREAT crunch and iic+ tones, are making me wanting this in a three channel configuration.

It is a great addition. But these people buying an amp that came out a year ago, and apparently being happy with it, then being upset that Mesa (a for-profit business) has expanded the line with a new amp, is nuts.

As for the price increase, they do it as necessary, not because they're greedy. Every other amp has held where it was at.

polaris20 said:
dlpasco said:
polaris20 said:

I can not disagree.

It is a great addition. But these people buying an amp that came out a year ago, and apparently being happy with it, then being upset that Mesa (a for-profit business) has expanded the line with a new amp, is nuts.

As for the price increase, they do it as necessary, not because they're greedy. Every other amp has held where it was at.

I bought my V:25 three months ago. No butt hurt here, no particular desire to upgrade either. Happy Mesa is continuing to innovate, and you know what, it'd be kind of cool continuous updates to their product line helped them, like, stay in business.

dlpasco said:

I'm hoping the combo makes its way to the V:25 line. I'm not sure if it will; the trend seems to indicate a small lunchbox head, a compact 19" head/combo, and a full size head/combo.

I've been thinking about making my Mark V 25 into a 1x10 combo with a 1x10 extension cab. If I ever do it I'll post the results.

What I really wanted when I bought my ROV25 was a mini Mark. 6 months later, the V:25 shows up. I bought the V:25 in July. Now the V:35 shows up.

I bought both amps because they made me happy when I bought them. They both continue to do so, despite other stuff coming out, and Mesa not clearing it with their customers first.

10 watts more is going to be very negligible in terms of volume, and a Wampler Db+ is a splendid solo boost.

ryjan said:
Thank you Mesa Boogie for tanking the value of my less than a year old V:25. :evil:

I really don't appreciate being a test market so that I and any others who bought your "new" product can take it in the *** when you make what we spent our hard earned money on obsolete less than a f#%$#ing year later.

Dick move Mesa.

It just doesn't get any better than this. Pure gold :lol: :lol: :lol:

conrad79 said:
ryjan said:
Thank you Mesa Boogie for tanking the value of my less than a year old V:25. :evil:

I really don't appreciate being a test market so that I and any others who bought your "new" product can take it in the *** when you make what we spent our hard earned money on obsolete less than a f#%$#ing year later.

Dick move Mesa.

It just doesn't get any better than this. Pure gold :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, someone doesn't understand what the word "obsolete" means.

dlpasco said:
polaris20 said:

I can not disagree.

So am I missing something here? I see lots of "what is my amp worth now that a new version came out?" Do people buy amps as an investment because I just buy them to use. Lots of them, like guitars and effects pedals. Really I'm at a bit of a loss here. All this proverbial stomping around, arms flailing, lower lip all sticking out, pout pout like https://youtu.be/NBUhV4seFHA

I am disappointed it was not a EL34 based version II of the Royal Atlantic or something in that direction.

The clips of the V - 35 sound really awesome. Audio clips being what they are, I love how the V - 35 has so much more mid bark and crunch than the Mark V. I always found the Mark series amps to sound grainy but the overall voice of the EL 84 platform is cool, at least in recorded form.

That said, I'm somewhat surprised that a 6v6 platform wasn't considered.

Ah well. I just make the mistake of trying my friend's Mark V for an extended period of time and I must say, the lead tone & feel is rather addictive. I find it helps me play better ^__^

Latest posts

Back