4 Mesas and a Marshall (Fseries and Recto content)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no soul

Reaction score
My band is in the middle of recording and producing our own CD. Today myself and our guitarist set some time aside just to work on dialing in guitar tones. We pooled almost all our gear together which we figured would make the most sense for our recording, as we are a modern metal-hardcore band.

Both guitarists use single rectos live, so this made the most obvious choice for the primary recording amp for all the dirty sounds.

We were going to use an original 1965 Fender Super reverb for cleans, but it crapped out recently, so the F-100 was nominated to take its place.

Cab selection included a Marshall 1960a 4x12, a verticle Mesa Recto 2x12, a horizontal Mesa Recto 2x12, and possibly the 3/4 back 2x12 of the F-100.

One of my favorite speaker combos for live use (with a recto head) is a mix of a Mesa Recto cab (or most vintage30 equiped cabs) with a Marshall1960 cab, so we decided to play with this option. The Mesa cab was mic'd with a SM57 and the Marshall with a Sennheiser (dont recall which model). There was also a condesner mic (I extra dont recall what this was at all) placed further back facing the Marshall.

This is where we probably wasted the most time. The sound was alright, but still lacked something. We tried numerous settings on the recto, different mic positions, just using the Mesa, just using the Marshall etc etc etc. Even switching out guitars, no matter what we did, we just couldnt nail anything we were really happy with.

After getting kinda frustrated, I decided I would fire up the F-100 and give her a shot at the dirty sounds, just for comparisons sake. Long story short, between all the gear listed, guess who ended up as the final contestant for our elusive metal tone?

The F-100 through its own cab beat out every other combo. Just as heavy and agressive as we could get the recto, but A LOT smoother and more articulate.

Go figure it sounded the best with just the SM57 too..

The closest runner up would be the F-100 with the Marshall cab, which I believe may ultimately sound better (tighter bass response) however we didnt spend as much time dialing it in.

no soul said:
..... The F-100 through its own cab beat out every other combo. Just as heavy and agressive as we could get the recto, but A LOT smoother and more articulate.
The closest runner up would be the F-100 with the Marshall cab,...

LoL.
I've been saying it since they came out!

F-series can nail THAT tone inside my head. Recto's just cant. (even though I'm about to buy a recto, that is for different reasons...)

I used to think F-series were the best mesa amp ever. Till I got a mark IV, now their 2nd best.

I definitely would like to add a MkIV to my stable, but the one thing Ive got to hand to the F-100 over most of Mesas current production line is howmuch easier it is to dial in, which by in large is a given considering that its relatively speaking much more simple than most of their other models.

no soul said:
I definitely would like to add a MkIV to my stable, but the one thing Ive got to hand to the F-100 over most of Mesas current production line is howmuch easier it is to dial in, which by in large is a given considering that its relatively speaking much more simple than most of their other models.

+1 to that!

+1 to the awesome tone of the F-series. I love my F-30, especially for recording. It's got such nice presence and growl in the lower-mids that seems to transfer down to tape or disc a lot better than most other high-gain amps.

For live use and a lot of studio work, me and the other guitarist in my band prefer to use our Road King / Mark IV blend, but the F-30 will always make it down to record when that throaty growl is needed.

What Im curious about is in live situations.
I cant vouch for the F vs. recto just yet, as the closest Ive got to comparing the two was in our tiny rehearsal studio, so the sound program isnt exactly realistic for comparing to a gig.

I can say this though: Our other guitarist (who plays through a single recto) seemed rather frustrated when I was running the F100 instead of the my recto. The F-100 sliced through the mix and completely dominated it. My other guitarist spent the whole messing with her settings and what not trying to keep up :twisted:

Latest posts

Back