Mesa Cabinets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fernando

Reaction score
hi!

I was wondering if mesa cabs can be ordered without speakers, or if they can be ordered with other speakers besides the stock celestions. Could i purchase the speakers i want to use and send them to mesa to install in the cab i order? I'm not a big fan of the celestion sound; i once had a mkIII loaded with a evm12l from the factory that i really loved and also a thiele with an evm12l loaded from the factory that was really loud and powerful!

i'm looking at getting the road king 2 X 12 with a jensen blackbird/evm12l combination....

thanks for your replies!!

f

Cool! thx! i guess i'll be posting some new, unused celestions for sale when i pop for the cab! :wink:

I have an Avatar 2x12 cab that I really like, and their cabs are fully customizable (tolex, grille cloth, piping, speaker choices, open/closed back, impedance, etc.), and of very good quality. You can pick your speakers, they offer Celestion and Eminence, I believe, or you can get a 2x12 cab without speakers for about $339. You could check with them as to the specific speakers you want, maybe they can put them in the cab for you at a discount from retail prices (I'm not sure on that). With speakers the 2x12 cabs are only about $480 so the speakers they carry are discounted from retail prices when installed in their cabs.

http://avatarspeakers.com/home/product-category/guitar-cabinets/

I have the Vintage style, and it looks killer sitting under my Mesa Express 5:50+.

Thanks for all the replies!! For me the biggest reason I would like to get a raw mesa cabinet without any speakers is so that I dont end up hacking the wood to death swapping speakers, since i imagine that the speaker mounting holes probably wont line up between the different brands. I would like it to be a clean, pro install with no excess holes to "mar" the pro look of pro gear... Not really concerned about any possible discount, and if i can avoid having to sell stuff, much better. I have been looking at alternative speaker cab brands, but i've never been disappointed by all the mesa equipment i've owned in the past, and, even though i know its superficial to a certain extent, except possibly for the thiele cab that really rocks with an evm12l, i love the look of an "all boogie" rig... 8)

Again thx for the replies, especially "Authorized Boogie"... i now have a better idea what i'll do when i order from my local dealer....

:)

Fernando said:
Thanks for all the replies!! For me the biggest reason I would like to get a raw mesa cabinet without any speakers is so that I dont end up hacking the wood to death swapping speakers, since i imagine that the speaker mounting holes probably wont line up between the different brands.
FWIW- I've never had an issue with hole locations when swapping different brands of guitar speakers, they seem to follow a standard 4 or 8 hole pattern. The bigger issue is the thicker rim of a cast basket vs a stamped basket. Chances are the OEM screws will not be long enough for the thicker rim of the cast basket (frame).

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45554

HTH,
Dom

Thanks for the link and the info on the rim thickness, hadn't thought of that.... good stuff :wink:

Back