Cheapest way to switch two Mesa's using one foot switch?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryswanson

Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all but let me clarify what I actually mean. I would like a pedal that switches my Mark V and Rectifiers channels. So I can hit one button and it switches both amps to channel one and another to switch both to channel two etc. I have looked at the Voodoo labs ground control pro but it's going to cost a lot of money surely there must be something a little more straight forward that includes a pedal? I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I've never seen anything cheaper, personally.

I've even had a setup where I wanted to switch between Mesa and MusicMan tube heads, both of which were running into the same cab.. I had to get a $300 Radial Headbone pedal to even do that :cry:

I'm interested to find out if anyone else knows of a cheaper option to do what you're asking though.

Cool I'll check them out! I was thinking of trying a 8 pin DIN Y cable/adaptor if there is such a thing and using the Mark V pedal to control both. That's assuming the pin outs are the same.

elvis said:
I wouldn't. Mesa uses various active switch circuits, could damage the amps to connect their switch inputs together.
+1

MIDI control would be the best bet. There are other MIDI controllers besides the Voodoo Lab GCP, and you'll need a MIDI function switcher to control the amps as well as the MIDI controller.

Dom

Not sure if it would work, but have you tried using a regular latching type foot switch and splitting it with a y xable? I feel like that would work (although depending on how many channels you're running this could end up being quite the front of house snake)

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at the Mini Amp Gizmo bot not sure if it will controll two amps? Another idea I was think about is making my own pedal. One I figure the pin outs on both amp cables I could easly make my own pedal just using single throw double pole latching switches.

Mini amp gizmo uses different cables for different amps. I do know that they do share some attributes but, not wholesale. They may be willing to give you the pin out for each amp you have though. Might even be in their user guides online.

I use a Voodoo Labs GFX and Ground Control with a mini amp gizmo and it works really well. Adding a second mini amp gizmo in for a second amp would be a snap. Issue is it is cost prohibitive.

Do post a solution if you come up with one (that works of course)! I run 2 heads and cabs from time to time and another trick in the tool box would be sweet.

barryswanson said:
Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at the Mini Amp Gizmo bot not sure if it will controll two amps? Another idea I was think about is making my own pedal. One I figure the pin outs on both amp cables I could easly make my own pedal just using single throw double pole latching switches.

While a DPST switch would keep the amps isolated you'll still be left with having to turn off one channel then turn on the other channel (2 stomps per channel change).

Edit: If you could live with using only two channels per amp a 4PDT switch might work for you.

3dc2208e-66db-4d4d-8f9e-6b39aae5eaed_zpsd17f966d.jpg

Dom

Yeah I never thought of that! My job is being made redundant soon so I'll have plenty of time to work something out. I'll keep y'all posted.

You guys made that looks fairly easy. I would have contacted Custom Audio Electronics to ask them what would be the most economical way to do that switching that would work properly every time. Tell them in the email that you have a budget of $xxx that you can put towards the set up. I'm sure they would be able to come up with something easy.

Each amp has it's own cab? Then what you're asking for shouldn't be that hard. I think MIDI is the way to go. Control everything on both amps from a single midi footswitch. Each amp needs it's own midi box, though.

If both amps go into the same cab, then one amp is disconnected from the cab = no load = damage to amp. You need to solve this first as priority. Radial make the Headbone switcher just for this purpose as mentioned in another post.

Sherlock Amplifiers in Australia make dedicated midi switch boxes for various amps and their functions. Here's the link. Maybe send them an email and see what they say. http://www.sherlockamps.com/products/MidiMod.html

Sherlock amps have been around for decades and have a decent reputation. I have no affiliation with them whatsoever.

The RJM Mini Amp Gizmo is another and I run this on my Roadster. Neat unit.

The difference between the Sherlock dedicated unit and the RJM is that the RJM can be used on any amp just by changing the cable required for the particular amp. The RJM wins out in this case because it's more flexible if you change amps.

Blaklynx said:
Each amp has it's own cab? Then what you're asking for shouldn't be that hard. I think MIDI is the way to go. Control everything on both amps from a single midi footswitch. Each amp needs it's own midi box, though.

If both amps go into the same cab, then one amp is disconnected from the cab = no load = damage to amp. You need to solve this first as priority. Radial make the Headbone switcher just for this purpose as mentioned in another post.

Sherlock Amplifiers in Australia make dedicated midi switch boxes for various amps and their functions. Here's the link. Maybe send them an email and see what they say. http://www.sherlockamps.com/products/MidiMod.html

Sherlock amps have been around for decades and have a decent reputation. I have no affiliation with them whatsoever.

The RJM Mini Amp Gizmo is another and I run this on my Roadster. Neat unit.

The difference between the Sherlock dedicated unit and the RJM is that the RJM can be used on any amp just by changing the cable required for the particular amp. The RJM wins out in this case because it's more flexible if you change amps.
The OP was asking how to switch channels simultaneously, he mentioned nothing about switching in/out amps and cabs......

barryswanson said:
The title pretty much says it all but let me clarify what I actually mean. I would like a pedal that switches my Mark V and Rectifiers channels. So I can hit one button and it switches both amps to channel one and another to switch both to channel two etc. I have looked at the Voodoo labs ground control pro but it's going to cost a lot of money surely there must be something a little more straight forward that includes a pedal? I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

Dom

domct203 said:
The OP was asking how to switch channels simultaneously, he mentioned nothing about switching in/out amps and cabs......

Dom

True.

And here's the start of my reply:
Blaklynx said:

I merely mentioned the rest to make sure that no amp is running without a load. Better to be aware than having an amp blow.

Consider it a community service :mrgreen:

Back