Searching for my first Mesa; decisions, decisions...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markshu

Reaction score
I've been reading this board for awhile, first time posting. I'm in the market for a new amp head and recently played a mini recto and both new express amps at Guitar Center. Although the express' were both combos I'd be interested in the head version. I did find a head version of each either used or as demo version for a good price, figure I'd save some money over the new plus series since I don't think I need the added features although nice. I play in a top 40 cover band very regularly and am looking for a big and sweet sounding compact setup. We're playing a wide variety from 70's to current, dancey pop stuff to hard rock. I have an oversized, ported 1x12 cab with a v30 in it that will go with it. So, I really liked all three amps I tried. I do like the addition of reverb on the express and don't really need the metal capability of the mini rec although I understand it excels at much more. I'm leaning towards the express though, just not sure now of 525 or 550? Our stage volume in kept at a minimum usually, everything is always mic'd, so headroom really isn't an issue. I think 25 watts is probably plenty. I know the tonal difference is pretty great between the two different power sections though. Does the 550 have a bigger, fuller sound at all? Keep in mind they would all be run through the same cab. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated, I'm really looking forward to experiencing one of these. If I could only afford two or three of them!

Welcome to the forum.

Ultimately, you would probably be very happy with any of the three amps. All have good cleans and good drive, and plenty for your purposes. They are also all very flexible. So you could stop now and throw a dart at the wall to choose and live out your days happy.

If you must have some reason for deciding, then here is my take on them:

The MR is the easiest to carry, has plenty of power and punch, and doesn't just excel at metal. It also has some of the best mild rock tones I've gotten from an amp. It also has a very nice clean channel with reasonable headroom, and set for "pushed", is very flexible and responsive to guitar volume. It will work well at lower volume settings and still let you push the EL84s a bit. But it is still a loud amp and needs to run with some volume to have good transient response. As a footnote, I recently saw Dave Matthews Band, and their guitarist was using Dual Rectifiers in a decidedly non-metal band. It's just a great all-around amp with amazing projection.

The express series are very good amps. They have good clean tone, and the modes will give you a wide variety of tones overall. They tend to have a crispy, biting-sounding drive tone. Some people like it, others not so much. It's considered closer to a recto than a mark, so not terribly different from the MR. The contour/EQ control is nice, and gives additional footswitchable-alternatives for tone. These sound pretty good to me at low volume, but again, need some volume for transient response. They are a bit large and heavy, especially as compared to the MR.

Of the two Express amps, I prefer the 50W. My experience with EL84 has been that they tend to sound saturated at any volume, and if you need to turn them up loud, can lose low-end and start to sound shrill. Some people prefer the lower-volume saturation, but to me they never really sound clean and punchy. This comment is based on my experience with the 20/20 power amp. My MR is actually better in this respect. But with the 6L6 version of the Express, you will have TONS of headroom, so you can get really clean tones and lots of dynamics even at higher volumes. It will not lose bass response at any volume, and sounds bigger and beefier, as well as more dynamic and live, to my ears. It also sounds good at relatively low volume.

This is all based on my taste: squeaky-clean and punchy when on clean channel, and solid breakup and sustain, but with lots of dynamic punch on gain channel.

However, all 3 of those amps allow for a pushed clean channel that is punchy and breaks up a little, but can be dialled back to clean via guitar volume, as well as a wide range of drive tone from bluesy to shred. They also all take pedals well and have series FX loops for compatibility with digital effects. (The express loop is parallel, but can go to 100% wet on the mix control, so it is basically series when set that way). All 3 amps will cut through well in a band setting.

Elvis, thanks for the detailed response. That is some very good information, as I thought it sounds like I can't go wrong with any of them.

Yes, I'm familiar with Tim Reynolds from The DMB. I saw a video a while back of him talking about his love for his recto. Definitely proves that they can cover all styles with ease, even though maybe not known as such.

I'm still not sure which way I'm leaning but thanks again for all the insight. The 5:50 does sound attractive, I was just wondering if the 525 excelled more at lower volume work but I guess they are both loud in general being mid wattage tube amps. If the 50 watter has a bigger sound even at the same volume then that is attractive. Maybe I need to pay one more visit to guitar center!

My pleasure.

Unless you really push them hard, there is no volume difference between a 25W and 50W amp, and even then it's barely noticeable. The more noticeable difference is in the tone of EL84 vs 6L6.

Hey, I know the Electra Dyne is probably a bit bigger than what you are looking at, but if you can find a Medium head (Shorter headshell) you should definitely try one. It hits those top 40s / hard rock / dance type tones perfectly. You get a Godin Guitar and you'll be able to cop just about every tone you need!!! My Godin LG has two humbuckers with a coil tap on my push pull tone pot. I can go from Surf to Eric Clapton to Iron Maiden or Bad Religion with the click of a button and a couple of switches on my guitar!!!!!

I found the Electra Dyne to be very manageable volume wise in the 45 watt setting and it has this great vintage grease to the tone in this setting. It gets heavier and more modern sounding when you flip it onto 90 watts. It should pair up well with an oversized cab with a v30 in it. I have the ported oversized 27" Mesa cab which I run with the Long head. The amp is jaw droppingly awesome and just beautiful in so many ways.

Personally, I think you would be happy with any of these amps... you just have to find what is better to your ear. Maybe the Mini Rec is too crunchy, or the Express is... well, you get my point. My ideal solution would be to see which just sounds better to your ear.

Back