Mark v no punch?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrup

Reaction score
Hi... Ive just gotten my mark v bit cant get to punch my gut with a great metallica tone though ive tryied every settings i could find on this forum including petruccis. Theres more punch in the mark 1 mode than all of channel three... Now why is this, are your mark v like this??

I should say its hooked up to a 4x12" celestion line6 speaker 240 W 8 ohm

Welcome to the forum.

Not punchy? What are your amp settings & guitar/pickups.

Which model Celestions are in the cabinet?

You hint that you like MK1 mode, why not use that for the sound you are trying to achieve?

Maybe the MKV's Ch3 modes are just not for you? I like my MKV, but if I want a "punch in the gut" tone I play my Roadster. When I want a Metallica type Lead tone I use MKIIC+ mode.

Dom

Punch is in the 2200 slider. Raise it.

Playing loud helps a lot too. Only so much you can do playing quietly.

Lastly, the V30s in the Mesa cabs are really percussive in their response.

Its celestion v30s in the line6 cab, so im thinkin how different can the mesa cab be when its the same units?! I use the het set pickups. It seems to help when i turn up the output but i dont want to play that loud, its just not very comfortable... I can upload a pic on the setttings im using later.

What volume are you playing at? Bedroom volume or band volume? IMHO you are never going to get that "punch in the gut" at bedroom levels.

Cabinet construction plays a HUGE role in speaker response.

Dom

domct203 said:
Cabinet construction plays a HUGE role in speaker response.

This I like to hear! So theres hope;) i'll go get a mesa cabinet then... one more for you guys; if i buy the mesa standard cabinet slant 4x12" that says celestion v30, will the speakers be the ones specifically made for Mesa or standard celestions?

Yeah i play bedroom volume... sucks. as i wrote earlier it kinda helps when i turn it up. I've experimented with the extreme setting and its gotten better thats for sure...

Anyway thanks for helping out a mark v newbie!;)

Myrup said:
Its celestion v30s in the line6 cab, so im thinkin how different can the mesa cab be when its the same units?!

Quite different.

The speakers made for Mesa are custom voiced.

I don't find the Mark V to be very punchy at low volumes. Extreme could probably do an alright job, but if you want chest thumping punch you need chest thumping volume.

Make sure you're also running your guitar through a TS9 before hitting the amp, classic setup of level at 10, gain at 0. I can nail Metallica tone at low volume at 10 watts with Petruccis settings. Solid state rec, reverb off, variac power.

How is the v90 different from the v30?? Ive always had either 2x12" or 4x12" so im thinking 1x12" might be a little doll.. (?)

Interresting, but i dont understand why i would need an overdrive pedal (ts9)? Furthermore it should be set to 0 gain? Wtf??;)

Myrup said:
Interresting, but i dont understand why i would need an overdrive pedal (ts9)? Furthermore it should be set to 0 gain? Wtf??;)

Overdrive pedals are the secret to tight metal... James Hetfield used a TS9 back in the day. just about every modern metal guitarist uses one in front of their amp. The purpose of the pedal is not to add gain (that's what your amps for), that's why the gain is at 0. The purpose of the pedal is to drive the preamp section harder... it also "tightens" everything up due to how it affects the mid-range/bass response of the amp. You get a much clearer/tighter non-flubby chug. Do a google search on it... it's pretty common knowledge.

Thx for the info man, ive looked it up online and ive got to get me one of those tubescreamers! And a 2x12" mesa cab... So the tubescreamer in front of the amp, but what about a noise gate, parametric eq, wah pedal, compressor and such?? In the loop?
Ive been playing for over 10 years, but now ive decided to dig into that perfect sound ive always wanted, so i got myself the mark v head, and im gonna get everything else necessary. Therefore its really helpful with all of your advice... Thanks again...

SonVolt said:
Overdrive pedals are the secret to tight metal... James Hetfield used a TS9 back in the day.

James Hetfield used it for one album (Ride the Lightning) and hated the way it felt, so he ditched it and was looking for a better sounding amp that didn't need a pedal when he discovered the Mark IIC+.

Anyway, Mark's don't need a tubescreamer to tighten them up. It's not a bass heavy modern amp that needs a pedal to cut the bass out front to fix it. That said, it's worth trying it out and seeing if you like it for yourself.

Myrup said:
How is the v90 different from the v30?? Ive always had either 2x12" or 4x12" so im thinking 1x12" might be a little doll.. (?)

The V30 is punchier and more percussive. More modern sounding. They're what Hetfield's been using since the early 90s if it makes any difference to you.

Holy crap!! I got my mesa std cab today with 4x12" old english v30s. Its an amazing difference....! Thanks everybody!!

I can't take any Line 6 product seriously. This thread further confirms this. Just about the only useful thing they have is the pod for quick on the go direct in recordings.

Latest posts

Back