Replace my MarkIIC+ with an Express 5:25?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince in Philly

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to the forum and am the original owner of a Mark IIC+ Simul-Class Boogie. I love everything about the amp except for the weight. Mesa separated my old combo into a separate amp head and speaker cabinet years ago, but after two back surgeries it's still too much to lug around. I really need a combo amp under 40 pounds and 20 watts is plenty for me. I've read some good reviews on the Express 5:25 and it looks like it could fit the bill. Will I be able to get a tone similar to my IIC+ (especially the overdrive channel) out of the Express 5:25? I would probably be looking at the 1 x 10 combo rather than the 1 x 12 combo to save weight, unless I went with the 1 x 12 and replaced the speaker with a neodymium 12. The other option would be to stick with a small Boogie from the same era like a Subway Rocket or Studio .22+.

I honestly think the C+'s tone is unique to itself. From what I've read on here I don't foresee the Express doing a Mark tone.

Have you thought of putting some sort of casters, wheels, a hand truck or dolly?

Elpelotero said:
Have you thought of putting some sort of casters, wheels, a hand truck or dolly?

Yeah, the speaker cabinet has casters, and I also have a collapsible magna cart, but carrying up and down stairs, over curbs, and across crowded stages is still an issue. When I was a young man, this amp was still a 1 x 12 combo and I carried it in a road case by myself!

How will your kids ever appreciate 80's hair metal if you part with your 2C+. Keep it around for posterity is my vote!

I haven't owned a IIC+, but I have owned a IIb, III, IV and V, and an Express 5:50. Just being frank, if you love the tone of the Mark, I don't think you'll be happy with the tone on the Express. It isn't anything like the Mark series, either clean or gain, in my experience. I found the cleans to be more sterile and stiffer. I found the gain to be more like the DC series.

This may be out of bounds for you, but you might take a look at the TA-30 head and a 1x12 cab. The TA30 cleans are not Mark cleans, but very vox-y and cool in their own right. the Top Boost mode is way cool and can give you a punchy, edge of clean tone. Several of the high gain options can be more of the liquid sustain gain type of sounds closer to Mark than the Express. It is very light, and a 1x12 with a neo speaker would be light. Heck, I have a tone tubby in mine and it is light.

I am not suggesting this replicates Mk IIC+, so please don't flame me. I am just suggesting that you might consider it, as I think the tones are worthy of consideration and it is very light.

Brent

I just had an idea-er....

It has been said that a Mesa Studio Preamp has the same or very similar circuitry to a 2C+. I have one. I think it weighs about 10 pounds. Its a two space rack unit.

Mesa made a 20/20 power amp using EL84's (some prefer the voxier EL84 clean tone....) in a one rack space module. Probably doesn't weigh more than 20#. You can probably bridge the outputs for a 40W single channel output.

2C+ Simulclass amps are one of the most sought after Mesa's there is. You should have no problem trading it off for top coin, and applying the funds toward a Studio and Power amp, which you can could theoretically separate from each other for easy lifting.

Tommy_G said:
.Mesa made a 20/20 power amp using EL84's (some prefer the voxier EL84 clean tone....) in a one rack space module. Probably doesn't weigh more than 20#. You can probably bridge the outputs for a 40W single channel output.
No, you cannot bridge the outputs. You can utilize only one of them, just like any of the other stereo amps, but it puts out only its rated output for that channel. The 20:20 is a nice amp (I have one in addition to 3 of the larger rack amps) and definitely has the EL84 sound.

tonefordays said:
Tommy_G said:
.Mesa made a 20/20 power amp using EL84's (some prefer the voxier EL84 clean tone....) in a one rack space module. Probably doesn't weigh more than 20#. You can probably bridge the outputs for a 40W single channel output.
No, you cannot bridge the outputs. You can utilize only one of them, just like any of the other stereo amps, but it puts out only its rated output for that channel. The 20:20 is a nice amp (I have one in addition to 3 of the larger rack amps) and definitely has the EL84 sound.

My bad, the Peavey 50/50's can have their output bridged, it has a 100W mono switch on the back. That's what I got...its about 30 # though for a small hunk of iron, at which point, there's little to be gained moving away from an simulclass Head.

So I guess the way to handle the 20/20 stereo output would be to run the Output A & B (actually has separate volumes for each channel) from the Studio Pre into the A & B of the 20/20, and then take the A and B output to each speaker of a 2x12....or better yet, a stereo rig with two different speakers, full independent channels for each of them, all in one compact 3 space rack. Not many would complain about that.

What are the ohm ratings on the 20/20?

I'm not sure off the top of my head. I'm currently on the opposite end of the country to my rig. You can download the manual from Mesa. It details all the acceptable speaker combinations and ohm mismatches it can handle.

Dude... keep the Mark. Marks, as they get older, become a rarity. As YOU get older, and if you may want one, won't it be harder to get another one?

Definitely keep the IIC+.

Then buy a Studio Pre and a 20/20. I used that combo for a while and it was Mark tone all the way, and plenty loud. You can even put the preamp and amp in separate ABS rack cases to keep the weight to a minimum. You still need to move the cab, though.

I recommend Yoga or Karate. Fixed my back nicely (sciatica from crushed lumbar discs).

elvis said:
Definitely keep the IIC+.

Then buy a Studio Pre and a 20/20. I used that combo for a while and it was Mark tone all the way, and plenty loud. You can even put the preamp and amp in separate ABS rack cases to keep the weight to a minimum. You still need to move the cab, though.

I recommend Yoga or Karate. Fixed my back nicely (sciatica from crushed lumbar discs).

Elvis, you's right! I was in a car accident at age 5... messed up my neck. I had some physical therapy, and meditated. I also do exercise. It's great!

While I don't have a IIC+ (I have a IV), I would suggest that you stick with the Mark series. They have an underlying tone philosophy that cannot be beat. I play through my other amps - and they sound good. I play through my Mark IV - and I am at home!

I have played through a 5:50 (the older one, not the new 5:50+) and it was very neat - but it was not on the same level as my Mark.

Also, I am getting older and my arthritis is getting much worse (hips and knees). I don't know how you would feel about cabinet modifications - but, my IVb combo has two heavy duty spring loaded handles on the side. It makes it very easy for me and either my daughter or my wife to move the amp around. I can pick up my amp using the Mesa handle on top, but trying to carry it up or down my stairs while holding it that way is very heavy and aggrivates the arthritis. Plus, it tends to get you off balance.

Post and update us when you decide. I would be curious as to your decision and the reasons you choose.

PS: Either way you are still in the Mesa family!

Keep that amp you will regret getting rid of it one day!!! Maybe get a rack mount preamp. I know its not the same but maybe go direct into the pa on non critical gigs to save having to move your amp all the time.

I would not sell the MKIIC+ unless you don't like the sound (but that isn't the case), simply because it would be so hard to replace and is worth so much money.

With a rack system, you also have to consider the weight of the rack case. I do not know how much a studio pre weighs, but my Quad is between 18 and 23#. The 20/20 is 14#. IMO a 20/20 will sound good with a mark preamp, but it will not sound the same as a simulclass power amp.

Have you looked into modelers? Specifically the California from tech 21, run into a clean amp. Digital modelers can get you close as well, but is a different setup. Also a triaxis is light weight, and with an IR unit like a torpedo, should get very close.

Back