Flashback delay in Mark V 25 FX Loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gdim

Reaction score
Hi,

New owner of Mesa Mark V 25 here. First Mesa rig. I wanted to free up some room on my pedal board for a booster so I plugged the FB delay through the FX loop. I didn't get the sound I expected - it lost clarity, it was saturated and overly fizzy on top. I understand I need to back the master of the channel a bit, but I play mostly clean which means I don't want to crank the gain that much to get the right volume.
Currently the order of the pedal board is:
guitar-->buffered Korg tuner-->Analog Man Boss BD--> Analog Man TS9-> TC Flashback-->Mesa, which sounds really good.

What settings should I have the Flashback for Series FX Loop? The Kill dry feature is supposed to be set to Off and the True Bypass on. Any ideas on how to configure it?

hi m8,

the loop of the 25 is serial, so no need to activate the killdry wich is needed in a parallel FX loop :)

A.

Thanks for chiming in...

I knew that before I posted here. I was wondering if something else needs to be tweaked.

I read the post a little bit too fast and i misunderstood the bottom line, sorry :( :eek:ops

is the level of the Delay at 100%?

sorry again

A.

No worries...:)

I don't think it was. I never set it to %100, as I am not into super wet sounds. Mostly Analog and Slap modes are utilized.

hmmm

I am just wondering what can be the source of the behavior, the thing is coming to my mind right now is ''try to swap the pre tubes'', but tbh even I am thinking of it I consider it a little bit absud 'cause your amp is kinda brand new.

anyway a try did not cost anything. maybe the one driving the loop is a little bit microphonic. at the moment nothing else come to my mind that can be the source of the problem

A.

I didn't think of the tubes, since it's really new - I bought it end of December. Gigged twice with it. I didn't know that a separate tube is responsible for the FX loop.

I have gig tomorrow, but I won't take a chance with the FX loop, I'll run it the order I normally have. Most of all, I need to open the pedal tonight and check the settings for True Bypass and kill dry on/off.

I really hope the FB is the issue, not the amp.

I've used my Flashback X4 in the loop of my Mark 5:25 and big V with no issues. Kill dry off, true bypass (pretty sure). Boss DD-500 also fantastic in the loop. Hopefully it's something simple.

Regarding tubes, I had an EL84 go bad a week after I unboxed the 5:25. New tubes do fail.

Interesting,

I use the same pedal in my loop and it sounds fantastic. Kill dry off, true bypass.

No idea what could be causing it.

What are your settings when you run into this? Maybe it is something with your settings.
If you give me your settings I will try them

What is the guitar pickup (neck/bridge, hum bucker/single coil)?
What channel and what are the exact settings on that channel?
And lastly with ONLY the flashback in the loop, what are your EXACT settings on it.

You provide me that info and give me a few days and I will give it a try

I've used my Flashback in the loop of my V25 for over a year now. No issues at all. And, I tried it out front and it sounds better in the loop.

Dreamtheaterrules said:
I've used my Flashback in the loop of my V25 for over a year now. No issues at all. And, I tried it out front and it sounds better in the loop.

No question it should sound better in the loop. I'm using my Nova System in the loop and no issues as well. Good quality cables?

What are your channel one volume and gain set at? With the loop active, the channel master and gain act as an effects loop send and can drive outboard FX units into clipping if set too high, even in channel one. Try dropping both of those to 8-9, increase the master output into maybe (just guessing here) the 10-2 range, then bring up the channel master and/or gain as needed. Hope that helps!

Back