I Chose The Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lef T

Reaction score
For many months I tried out the Mesa contenders.
Lonestar Classic,Lonestar Special and Mesa 5.50 Express+ and Mark V
All the amps were beautiful but I picked the Mark V
I went head and cab.
I'm just too old to try and lug a combo around.
My last amp was a Twin Reverb and at 65 lbs. it was getting too much.
Here's a pic of my grown up Twin.

Congrats on your selection. Welcome to the board. Glad to see another lefty on the board.

Congrats on your new acquisition!

I made a similar choice not too long ago and never looked back!

Arsony

Congrats! Enjoy the honeymoon. My only advice for new boogie owners is to read the manual. Mesa has some the best, most well written manuals I've ever come across. Not only is it a great read, but you can use it as a reference down the road. I've owned my mark v for almost 5 years and I still enjoy reading the manual from time to time. Enjoy!

I use mine nearly every day mostly at home and have done for the last 3 and more years. For home use and even playing out my two thoughts are

1 move it away from the wall and the corner a bit, you get less resonance. The cabinet is better off the ground closer to ear level.

Out of the corner you say? I might have to try that. My Mark V and 2-12 recto cab sit in a corner about 2 feet from the wall, and I get a good dose of piercing, headache-inducing highs with distorted tones, even with channel 2/ low gain tones. It always feels as if it's coming from behind me. I read somewhere that corner placement can help cancel out a lot of that, but then again the article was speaking of amp placement for recording purposes. I'll have to give that a go. Been considering moving it for a while. I do like mine on the floor though; I can "feel" it more. Gonna try angling it towards the ceiling too. A dying wish of mine is to play a strat in Mark 1 mode. I'm in love with it; sounds incredible with every guitar I've played through it with.

SamuelJ86 said:
My only advice for new boogie owners is to read the manual.

Yes. That's #1.

#2 is, when you dial your amp, close your eyes (and use your ears).

When it sounds the way you want, you got it right.
And you may be surprised with the settings you end up with...

I, for one, would have never expected that I'd want the Treble pot that high on channels 2 and 3, and Gain barely past noon. Which is what I ended up with when I dialed using my ears. But once you realize it's not really a Treble pot but a treble boost in disguise, it all starts to make sense.

Welcome to the family and get ready to enjoy hours of tone-a-licious joy.
And, don't overlook Mark I mode on Channel 2 as a great lead tone. So rich and gooey. I tend to generally default from left to right, with the last channel on the right being the lead channel. But, I've come to love Mark I/Ch 2 mode as my lead tone and Mark IV/Ch 3 as my crunch rock rhythm channel, which I can boost up for a different toned lead. It can be hard when all the modes in Channel 2 are so good.

Kind of like having to choose between Fat and Tweed modes in Channel 1.

You almost need TWO MV's.... bwahahahahahaha. :twisted: Or, you end up like a lot of us - getting a Mark V:25 or Mark V:35 in addition to the big boy.
This path leads to the Dark Side.
New%20Mesas_zpstuqpacjc.jpg

Congrats.

babow2 said:
And, don't overlook Mark I mode on Channel 2 as a great lead tone. So rich and gooey. I tend to generally default from left to right, with the last channel on the right being the lead channel. But, I've come to love Mark I/Ch 2 mode as my lead tone and Mark IV/Ch 3 as my crunch rock rhythm channel, which I can boost up for a different toned lead. It can be hard when all the modes in Channel 2 are so good.

You almost need TWO MV's.... bwahahahahahaha. :twisted: Or, you end up like a lot of us - getting a Mark V:25 or Mark V:35 in addition to the big boy.

Congrats.

Thanks all for the warm welcome.
I blew my budget on this rig and this amp is going to do me for a long time.
I would like to get a delay pedal to run in the loop.
I am leaning toward a Providence Chrono delay.
Nice amps babow2.
You're living right in the heart of Mesa country.
You should be playing Mesa's

babow2 said:

Congrats.

Welcome to the club you won't regret it.

I've been a Boogie owner for years but recently I've been going thru amps like there's no tomorrow. I've had a few over the years Tremoverb, RK, RKII (Owned Twice), Mark V, Rectoverb 25 Head and Combo, Mark V 25, Express 5:50+, Lonestar Classic. I've since settled on a Mark V 35 combo which I got just before Xmas last year. I love that amp its sounds awesome! I've made some changes to my rack recently due to a drunken audience member spilling their drink on the floor and nearly ruining it and it turns out I now need a head to sit on top of my rack which is on my 1x12 wide body cab.

I really missed that Mark I sound on chan 2 so much I caved and left a deposit on a Mark V head yesterday. Picking her up a week Monday along with a cab clone. I'm looking forward to familiarising myself with the MKV again its been a while and Oh how I've missed it.

And you're right the path does lead to the dark side lol

I've played with my new Mark V at home at soft levels,but once a week get to jam with friends
in a large warehouse style room.
I can't believe the sounds I'm getting out of this amp.
Clean,to mean and everything in between.
I like all the sounds,but so far am using fat channel 1,crunch channel 2 and for heavy riffing and chording
really like extreme on channel 3.
I am still exploring the sounds and am having a blast.
This amp has a lot of solid muscle to it....which I love.
It also has such a smooth liquidy sound....which I love also.
This amp is made to be played cranked up.
That's when it starts to take on a life of it's own that can't help but make you grin
from ear to ear.

Late to the party, but congratulations on your new Mark V amp!
I have owned my Mark V combo when it was first released, and continue to be impressed with it to this day.
The Mark V is by far the most versatile 3 channel footswitchable amp available on the market IMO! :mrgreen:

Back