Extention cab for my 5:25 combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackie59

Reaction score
Somebody point me in the right direction for an extention cabinet for my 5:25 combo. I don't know anything about the Mesa compact cabs but am considering getting the 1x12 wide body but I don't know whether to get the closed or open back model? Any pros or cons to either one if I'm using it in tandem with the stock open back combo? Or while I'm on the subject is there a better cab you'd recommend? Thanks in advance.

there is a better cab - a 2x12 :mrgreen:

if it has to be 1x12 then get a mesa thiele cab...

I'll see if my wallet has room for a 2x12. If I go 1x12 closed or open back?

Open or closed back is really a personal preference thing, and highly subjective. Its also fairly dependent on the style of music you want to play. If you like a more airy open sound, an open back cab can cover a wide variety of genres. A closed back cab is definitely more suited towards metal, with a direct focused sound.

I have a compact 1/12 to use with my 5:25 + and the C-90 speaker really compliments the V30. You may be surprised by the increased bass response and the whole sound seems to bloom. They are the same size so they look well together as well.

TW

I recently purchased at Mesa 2x12 closed-back extension cab with Celestion V30s, and I love it. Even with the Celestion Gold G10 speaker in my 5:25 combo, there wasn't enough roundness and depth for larger gigs. Now, running all 3 speakers, it's a freakin' dream.

twally said:
I have a compact 1/12 to use with my 5:25 + and the C-90 speaker really compliments the V30. You may be surprised by the increased bass response and the whole sound seems to bloom. They are the same size so they look well together as well.

TW

Hi twally - like blackie59, I would be interested in hearing a little more from you about which compact 1/12 you chose, and whether you A/B'ed the closed and open back models. I'm thinking about buying one of them for my 5:25+ combo. Thanks!

I use an Avatar Trad 112 cab with my 525-10" combo. Stellar! The mids-rich content and chiminess of the 10" is complimented by the deeper voice and tight bass of the 112 cab.

BTW, the avatar cabs are great! Solid and gig-worthy units, IMHO. Mine has the oval rear port so you can run either open or closed backed. I found I liked open better, but of course, YMMV. Oh, and FWIW I had gone through different speakers and found the best compliment to the 10" combo is the garden-variety Mesa 12" Black Shadow. Go figure! I had no predisposition, believe me, as I had gone through an EVM, a couple of Webers, and an Emi. All good speakers, to be sure, but together with the 10" combo amp, the Mesa (which of course is a Celestion) won out.

Edward

Back