NAD - MKIII Red Stripe!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mboogman

Reaction score
My Mark III came in yesterday. Got the chance to fire it up for a little bit last night. Right out of the box, I can tell that it's a tweaker's amp, and I know I'll be having a lot of fun with it. Once I get the rackmount kit for it (which should be on it's way) I'll be ready to go. Definitely think I'll be doing the R2 mod, and I'll be grabbing a pair of EL34's for the outer tube sockets for Simul class operation.

What surprised me the most, is how rich and 3 dimensional the clean channel is. Got me to thinking that being able to have the Deep switched on just for the clean channel would be nice. But other than that, I think this might end up being where I stop, at least as far as "real" amps goes.

Congrats on a killer amp. Good move as well on the R2 mod. I like the mix of the EL34s as it sweetens up the top perfect. The cleans are spankin' good. Lots of tonal ground all over the amp. Did yours come with the GEQ? Enjoy!

mboogman said:
Once I get the rackmount kit for it (which should be on it's way) I'll be ready to go.

What are you going to do with the shell when you get the rack? I am looking for a short head shell.

I picked up my first Mesa a couple weeks ago (blue Mk III combo); amazing amp!

I was planning on just hanging on to it, but one of my Rig-Talk buddies took it off my hands last week.

mboogman said:
What surprised me the most, is how rich and 3 dimensional the clean channel is. Got me to thinking that being able to have the Deep switched on just for the clean channel would be nice. But other than that, I think this might end up being where I stop, at least as far as "real" amps goes.

New to the board here, but I just picked up a Mark III red stripe in a trade and I too am wildly impressed with R1. I love that it can sound kinda Fender-y but you can dial it in for some really nice chime (with single coils). Also very impressed with how well R1 takes pedals -- WOW! Could be even better than a Dr. Z Maz Jr (best pedal amp I've ever owned).

Last night at rehearsal (Alt-Country/Americana band) I ran a HotCake, Box of Rock, Dirty Little Secret and Lovepedal Super Six (as a boost) and WOW, just WOW. I think I like the mid-gain sounds of the HotCake better with the Mark III than I do my Vox AC30TB/6 (UK Korg era). And people say there's no better match for the HotCake than the AC30, well, I might just beg to differ.

And congrats on the NAD!

Cheers,
Carl

congrats on the red stripe!...Ive had 2 of em...its been like almost 30 years since these amps were made and they will hang right w/ anything boutique and modern today!..Enjoy!

Back