Mark Iv combo question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Is there any noticable differences in tone between the combo and head versions? If i was to purchase a cab for a combo would it sound the same and head+cab set up?

I'm going to guess and say theoretically no difference, realistically, with different speakers, cab construction, random voodoo variance (just hard to make even 2 combos the same) and probably a bunch of other factors they will almost surely sound different.
Similar maybe, exact probably not.
I've only played a Mark IV head just a little, the combo a lot.
The nice thing is the controls are pretty much the same.
And a cool thing with the head is you get to pick whatever wood and speakers you want for a cabinet (which may also be a downside, depending on how many you go through before you find what you want.)
Combo is convenient, pick it up, plug in and play.
Hope this helps.

marklyn said:
And a cool thing with the head is you get to pick whatever wood and speakers you want for a cabinet (which may also be a downside, depending on how many you go through before you find what you want.)
Combo is convenient, pick it up, plug in and play.
Hope this helps.
I prefer the short head, because first of all it fits in my rack and second the combo is HEAVY.

I sold my Mark IV combo because I didn't like the sound of the open back or the Black Shadow. So I got a Mark IV short head on a 2x12 vertical recto cab and am happy. So it's not the version of Mark IV that sounds different but the cabinet the speakers are in.

i noticed the lead voicing and eq switches are on the front of the widebody combo... in the regular combo are they by the pentode/triode switch?

dylan7620 said:
i noticed the lead voicing and eq switches are on the front of the widebody combo... in the regular combo are they by the pentode/triode switch?

Yes, they are around the back.

Don't worry also about the Mark IV being crap cheesebox- it is great :)

Back