Which Mark III stripe is for me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodbath666

Reaction score
I've read about differences with mark III stripes. I've looked at alot of topics on this board about the stripe differences. Blue and red seem to be the most popular and green as well I guess. Anywho, I'm wondering which stripe would match me best. I've owned a mark IV and sold it, but I still like the mark series amp sounds. The sound I'm kind of going for is more of a John Syke's Whitesnake '87 era tone. I know John used mark III collesium heads on alot of that album, but which stripe would get me closest to that tone?

I might be going for a combo, but I won't rule out the idea of getting a head.

BTW- I've heard of sound differences of the different stripes, but are there reliability differences between them or are they all the same quality?

I have played Mark III Blue Stripe 60 W. since 1988. You don't have to ask what's my favourite amp (ANY CHEAP ALL TRANSISTOR AMP WILL DO ! ! !). The first Boogie I tried was Mark III Blue stripe Simul Class Head with 2x12 Boogie cabinet but didn't have the money so I bought 60 W combo. Afterwards I tried Simul class Green stripe combo but I thougth my OWN amp is better. We are all individuals you know. YOU DECIDE MON ! ! !

All boogies are top quality ! ! ! Don't worry about that ! ! !

And I tell you what ! ! ! It's the only amp I have ! ! !

I don't need any other amp ! ! !

I currently own a blue and green. I've also owned a black stripe. My opinion of which amp is better changes each week. I played the green stripe at an outdoor festival this weekend and turned her up loud! So this week the green stripe is my favorite. The differences are subtle. Get the one you can afford, add some good tubes, get the R2 mod, experiment with speakers until you arrive at a combination that works for you. Any MkIII can sound amazing. Pick one and play.

I bought a green stripe from Ed and a blue off eBay for a friend. Put speakers in both and cleaned and retubed them and they are awesome. They have slight differences but I could find my tone and sound with either in minutes. Both are great amps!

Latest posts

Back