DC-10 speaker jack question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
On a DC-10 combo with two speakers running parallel, should the speaker cable be plugged into the 16 ohm or 8 ohm input jack?

Thus spaketh the sacred text of the Owner's Manual:
"The DC-10 Combo contains two 90 watt custom designed Celestion speakers and these are wired in series, producing an impedance load of 16 ohms. Obviously the optimum speaker connection scheme for headroom and power would be the 16 ohm jack, but feel free to try connecting the speakers to any of the speaker output jacks. Sometimes a mismatch will lend a sonic character that you may find interesting or even preferable. When using two speaker cabinets rated for 16 ohms, it will be necessary to use a “Y” cable to connect both of these loads to the 8 ohm jack in order to maintain a proper
impedance match.
NOTE: Always use a load on the DC-10 when playing, unless you are recording direct and have the silent recording switch set to the MUTE position... Even then it is advisable to leave the speaker connected to avoid possible damage to the amplifier."

It can be confusing. If you have two separate speakers, or cabs, each rated at 16 ohms, connect each one to an 8 ohm speaker jack on the amp.
Two 8 ohm speakers should connect (one each) to the two 4 ohm jacks.
If you are daisy-chaining two 16 ohm cabs, plug into an 8 ohm jack on the amp.
The question is: What is the impedance of each speaker being run parallel?
Parallel means you take the impedance of one speaker (if they are identical), divide it in two, then that is the total impedance of both speakers. Thus, two 16 ohm speakers run in parallel yields a total impedance load of 8 ohms.
This will all be on the final...

I've got another question regarding speaker jack inputs. I was original wrong in saying the two 8ohm speakers were running parallel, the are actually running in series and plugged into the 16 ohm input jack. I just recently picked up a thiele cab with a EVM12L in it, also 8 ohms. I'd like to run this cab also. Which jack should it be plugged into? And should the speakers in the combo stay plugged into the 16 ohm?

Plug the combo speakers into an 8 ohm speaker jack. Plug the Thiele into the other 8 ohm speaker jack.
No matter what, you will have a mismatch.
In this case, the total load is 5.33 ohms. Mesa will tolerate mismatches well. The manual practically dares you to do this and see if you like the sound better.

If you were to unhook one of the combo speakers, you could plug the remaining speaker into a 4 ohm jack, and the Thiele into the other 4 ohm jack, giving you 8 ohms total (2 x 8 ohms in parallel, not a mismatch). But the combo speakers are most likely hard-wired, so...

Yes, the two eight ohm speakers would go into the two *FOUR* ohm jacks, NOT the two eight ohm jacks. The two 8 ohm jacks are for two 16 ohm loads, like if you ran two 16 ohm 4 x 12 cabs (many 4 x 12 cabs are 16 ohms each). If this is confusing, it's Mesa's fault, as they've always done it like this.

Hi, I've got a 4 Ohm Marshall and 8 Ohm Mesa cab. The Mesa tech told me to now use these two with my amp since it drive the total impedance to low.

However, he did say that rewiring the 4 Ohm cab to a 16 Ohm cab would be an option. Then this would work:

16 Ohm cab into 8 Ohm jack
8 Ohm cab into 4 Ohm jack

The tech did not specify if this was a "mismatch" or not but I'm thinking it is not a mismatch since each each cab has a jack for exactly half it's impedance, as it should be when connecting two cabs.

I haven't tried this yet but I'm wondering if one cab will be louder than the other because each has a different impedance.

Probably best to just stick with the same impedance cabs but this Marshall 2x12 was sure cheap.

Mace

mace said:
Hi, I've got a 4 Ohm Marshall and 8 Ohm Mesa cab. The Mesa tech told me to now use these two with my amp since it drive the total impedance to low.

However, he did say that rewiring the 4 Ohm cab to a 16 Ohm cab would be an option. Then this would work:

16 Ohm cab into 8 Ohm jack
8 Ohm cab into 4 Ohm jack

The tech did not specify if this was a "mismatch" or not but I'm thinking it is not a mismatch since each each cab has a jack for exactly half it's impedance, as it should be when connecting two cabs.

I haven't tried this yet but I'm wondering if one cab will be louder than the other because each has a different impedance.

Probably best to just stick with the same impedance cabs but this Marshall 2x12 was sure cheap.

Mace

Anything other than normal is a mismatch.
Your total impedance is 5.33 ohms.
Yes, the 8 ohm cab will be louder.

Here's a calculator for speaker impedance matching:

http://colomar.com/Shavano/impedance_proc.php

Values entered horizontally are for series connections.
Parallel connections are entered vertically.
Be sure to show all your work. This will be on the final. :D

Back