Help! Changing my Blue Stripe's PT

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agustín Collia

Reaction score
Hi guys! I've got an HRG Blue Stripe that's hardwired from the factory for 220v, so I assume it's got an export PT (not the one with the switchable voltage as this one's hardwired, and of course it's not an X101 leftover from the IIC+ production). The thing is I have the chance to replace my amp's PT for a blue-printed, 220v version of the bigger 105 PT (I'm certain this is an exact clone of the original 105 PT, but made to work with 220v instead of 110). My questions are:
1. How much will swapping the PT improve the tone/feel of my amp? (In other words, is it worth the hassle?)
2. Is it just as simple as removing the old PT and installing the new one (desoldering the old cables and soldering the new ones in the same place)? Or will I have to measure other voltages down the signal path or change any other components to make the new (bigger) PT work without harming my amp? Bear in mind the input voltage won't be changed as the amp (and the PT) was hardwired from the factory for 220v operation and the new PT will also work with 220v.
Sorry for the mouthful and hope you can help me!
Thanks a lot!

There's only one person who can tell you if swapping the PT out will improve your sound, and that's YOU - after you make the swap.
mesa has pretty good trafos, from what I can tell
I have mercury mags trafos in my Studio .22 - power, output and even a CHOKE installed. that amp rocks - it has a soft, growly sound that is great for my living room.
I also had a mercury output trafo installed in my Express 5:50 - again, a superb amp and very versatile, all my guitars sound good through it.
Please keep in mind that your amp is only about 1/3 to 1/2 your sound - guitar and speakers have a LOT to say... so don't expect the world from your power trafo swap.
A good power trafo is important for your amp's performance, but mesa don't fool around - they have pretty good stuff in their amps from the factory.

himmelhund said:
There's only one person who can tell you if swapping the PT out will improve your sound, and that's YOU - after you make the swap.
mesa has pretty good trafos, from what I can tell
I have mercury mags trafos in my Studio .22 - power, output and even a CHOKE installed. that amp rocks - it has a soft, growly sound that is great for my living room.
I also had a mercury output trafo installed in my Express 5:50 - again, a superb amp and very versatile, all my guitars sound good through it.
Please keep in mind that your amp is only about 1/3 to 1/2 your sound - guitar and speakers have a LOT to say... so don't expect the world from your power trafo swap.
A good power trafo is important for your amp's performance, but mesa don't fool around - they have pretty good stuff in their amps from the factory.
Thanks for your answer! I know that many elements contribute to the final sound coming out of a speaker, so actually my first question was kind of a reassuring thing. I actually know that the bigger PT will affect the feel of the amp more than the sound.
I don't doubt the stock PT is good, I mean, the amp sounds incredible! But I also know that the 105 PTs were even better.
I'm actually more interested in my second set of questions, hope somebody can help!
Thanks a lot guys!

Bump!!
Agustín Collia said:
Hi guys! I've got an HRG Blue Stripe that's hardwired from the factory for 220v, so I assume it's got an export PT (not the one with the switchable voltage as this one's hardwired, and of course it's not an X101 leftover from the IIC+ production). The thing is I have the chance to replace my amp's PT for a blue-printed, 220v version of the bigger 105 PT (I'm certain this is an exact clone of the original 105 PT, but made to work with 220v instead of 110). My questions are:
Is it just as simple as removing the old PT and installing the new one (desoldering the old cables and soldering the new ones in the same place)? Or will I have to measure other voltages down the signal path or change any other components to make the new (bigger) PT work without harming my amp? Bear in mind the input voltage won't be changed as the amp (and the PT) was hardwired from the factory for 220v operation and the new PT will also work with 220v, what will change is the voltage coming out of the PT (which I guess will be higher).
Sorry for the mouthful and hope you can help me!
Thanks a lot!

Back