Picked up a Mark IIa today, couple of questions...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbskateracer

Reaction score
When I bought it, the speaker sounded blown so I plugged it into a extension cab to test out the amp section. So now I want to replace the speaker, but I'm curious if anyone knows what the one is that is in it... it only has some numbers that I assume are model and serial #'s and no branding. It has a square shaped magnet. Any ideas? Also, I'm thinking it would probably be better to run it through an extension cab anyway, so I'm not sure if replacing the speaker is even necessary in that case?

IMG_3470.JPG

IMG_3471.JPG

IMG_3473.JPG

IMG_3475.JPG

IMG_3478.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

That is a vintage Eminence speaker, dated 11th week of 1979.

I don't believe Eminence was ever a Boogie option at all, that was installed by the previous owner, undoubtably early on. It would have come stock with the Black Shadow or the Electro-Voice option.

Nice score... The original might be an alnico or maybe even EV 12L. If you are happy with your other cabinet,you can use that. maybe get a head cabinet and slide the chassis in there to lighten your load. I'm sure if you do some digging here you can find a ton of info...

scott

If you called Mesa with the serial would they have the OEM build sheet?

+1 on going all original or getting a head shell. Our forum member gts builds awesome shells.

SonicProvocateur said:
That is a vintage Eminence speaker, dated 11th week of 1979.

I don't believe Eminence was ever a Boogie option at all.

I believe that the square magnet speaker might be original to the IIA. I have only seen a couple of these installed in a Boogie. FWIW, the MESA Black Shadow MS-12 150 watt speaker was made by Eminence. 8) There is at least one person left at MESA that could give you an answer as to the originality of this combo.

take a GTS headshell, turn it into a head only, then apply any speaker cab you want!

that's what i'd do...

unless you just love creating hernias!

LOL

i much prefer the head/cab separated, for carrying purposes.....

plus, you're not married to that speaker, and i don't care for open back cabs anyway.

i will often place my head on the floor with the speaker cabinet pointing right at the tubes while recording.

the impact of the sound DOES have some effect on the tubes, which i like, but not enough to own a combo.

In Mesa Boogie, they say that the II A is a very unique sounding amp in the Mark lineage.
They compare the clean sound with the Tweed Bassman.

The Mark II-A has a very unique sound, especially, on the clean channel.

According to Mike Bendinelli, it is very much like a tweed Bassman and like the typical Jerry Garcia sound. He also said that you won't find the II-A sound in any other Mark series amp. Mike says it sounds better with single coil pickups.

I also recall that there was an interview to Randall Smith (you can find it in the Mesa Boogie site) where he was asked who came in first: himself with the Mark II-A or Dumble with his amp. He replied that both of them were working on similar designs with no knowledge of what the other one was doing.

In Randall Smith's own words... "As far as Dumble, I don't know much. I've never been inside of one of his amps, although I hear they're all gooped up to prevent copying and that they are built on printed circuit boards. I did run across a hand-drawn block diagram somewhere — I don't know — Gerald Weber's book or Aspen's — of an Overdrive Special and it looked to me like the functional equivalent of a Mark II. The configuration was the same, deriving the overdrive the same way, had the controls and internal switches in the same locations and so on. Howard no doubt has his own ways of doing things and makes great amps, so many of the parts values and such could be different, or the whole thing could be different for all I know. Really, my only exposure to his amps is that one block diagram, although I did meet him briefly in 1973 or'74."

Thats awesome and mines within 10 #'s of the same serial #. I remember Altec and EV being the only choices when these came out. It was during the Rolling Stones tour that year with Santana opening because I had to wait 8 months for mine because they were supplying them first go figure. I put a on/off switch on the cord for the fan cause its kind of noisy.

Andy

andyman95023 said:
Thats awesome and mines within 10 #'s of the same serial #. I remember Altec and EV being the only choices when these came out. It was during the Rolling Stones tour that year with Santana opening because I had to wait 8 months for mine because they were supplying them first go figure. I put a on/off switch on the cord for the fan cause its kind of noisy.

Andy
Globe fans are MUCH quieter. My C+ (upgraded from a IIA) had one of those fans - extremely loud.

Hi, Nice Amp!.
I used a MkII for years, and loved it.
Speakers - I would look for a used EVM12L and replace the speaker with the square magnet. I have used a duo cab with two V30's and it sounded very good to me.
Weight - They are a little heavy. The use of a wheels and/or a hand truck makes life much easier.
Sound - Great, contrary to popular opinion even the dirty channel!
Cons - Reverb is not pretty, Channel switching makes a pop that can be annoying, the master volume is very sensitive, just a touch can blow your head off.
Good luck and have fun with it!
Ian
MkII
MkIIC+

kiwi-kid said:
Hi, Nice Amp!.
Cons - Reverb is not pretty, Channel switching makes a pop that can be annoying.

True, but his doesn't have any reverb. Also, can the channel switching be improved by replacing the relays with LDRs, or possibly switching JFET's?

My IIa channel popping is god-awfull.
A local tube veteran has it and is looking thoroughly - will advise when it comes back, though i don't expect to see it B4 next yr.
We've excluded relay coil, relay contact clicking and reverb circuit interration as causes. We "think" it's something around V3b area though I haven't spoken with him for a few weeks so not sure what he's currently thinking.
IIRC, when NO signal present, or muted strings, the pop is minimal, but with no signal attenuation the pop is amplified awfully as the gain is dialled, which possibly points to a source early in the circuit chain.
It's the sort of problem to give to a university final year elec engineering class and see what they come up with.. I think some heavy circuit theory/application might sort it..
Re earlier post on chasing serial numbers through Mesa - I asked about the numbers on my Mk1, and they said the info was in a "warehouse" somewhere, and left it at that..

The Mark IIA/B channel pop is a common thing, it was always there. They worked the design flaw out in the IIC(?)/C+/III with the LDR silent switching design.

I don't know if Mesa has an "official" mod/fix for it or not.

thats strange my IIa head has reverb and yea its not to great but the channels dont pop in it.

It only makes a pop if you are playing at the time you are switching channels. If you are not making any sound at that time, it won't make any pop.

I don't think there is any mod in Mesa to fix this for the Mark II-A and II-B.

It took me a while to get back to the computer over the holidays... :)

So I started playing around with the amp more at home volumes, it turns out that the speaker isn't completely blown it is just so old that it can't handle high wattage anymore, it starts to break up very quickly. So for playing around the house the original speaker is great and sounds pretty cool, but will need an extension cab for stage volumes.

Yeah, getting to know it fairly well. Love the tone, except it can get a little dark at times regardless of the settings I use. I've ordered an extension cab so that might help, who knows... I've already recorded a couple of demos with it for the band I'm in and it worked out pretty well, although I'm finding I like putting a tube screamer in front of it to bring out the highs. I know this is a hard question without hearing/seeing the amp, but I'm wondering if I should spend the money to have a cap job done on it. I've inspected the board, and it looks like the caps are in good condition, but I don't have the gear to properly test caps. Any one done a cap job on this amp and noticed an improvement? Right now it has Mallory's in it, which I'd hate to lose if they are still in good shape and I know some amp techs will replace them anyway just to have the vintage ones....

Back