Questions on the Mark IV!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicoroy123

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I currently own a Single Rectifier Head. It is a fantastic amp,
no questions there but I realise that it may just not suit my needs properly.
I am in a cover band (from the Beatles to Ozzy) so I need more versatility...

The things I would need to improve are:
-Lead tone
-Clean channel
-Tighter rhythm

For these reasons, I am considering a used Mark IV. ( Or maybe wait for the Mark V with the IIC+ voicing?).
I never had a chanche to play the IV. I can only base my opinion on demos and on user comments so here few
questions to current Mark IV owners...

-How good are the lead tones compared to the single rectifier?
-How good are the clean tones compared to the single rectifier?
-Is the Mark IV better than the IIC+ for lead tones? For rhythm?

The kind of tone I am after for lead are DT/Petrucci/LTE or Andy Timmons.
I currently have a 2x12 Rectifier cab.

Any feedback/input will be appreciated.

Regards

Based on your description, the Mark IV is a perfect choice for you.

The cleans and leads will kill your Rectifier's tones in that department. The need for a tighter rhythm is also found in spades in the Mark IV as well. The Mark IV is not better than a IIC+ for lead or rhythm tone in my opinion but it's a close approximation. The difference is more in the feeling and the organic nature of the IIC+, it is also brighter than the Mark IV.

The Mark IV will nail your DT/Petrucci, etc tones as well.

Yo,
First of all, all the mesa amps are fantastic amps, but what you seek is exactly what's the mark IV is like.
And if you say you want versatility, you should head straight for the mark IV. I now own one like 4 years and I still don't know all the secrets this heavy monster has in it. I don't know for the Single Rectifier, but with a Mark 4 you got a few options to get every lead tone you can imagine: class A- Simul class A, Pentode-Triode, Mid gain- Harmonics, Tweed power-full power. Then the tone knobs for bass middle treble do the finishing touch. I think you'll never want another amp when you hear the Mark 4 lead.
Then for clean (rhythm 1 channel): the clean channel seems basic, but if you turn your ckean gain + master volume on 10 (and you turn the clean master to 1-2 to keep your ears safe), you can even get the most crunchy sounds you can imagine. The mark 4 really has it all, and I'm not exaggerating.
For a tighter rhythm: no worries. Just the same as for the clean channel and lead channel. The mark IV can do clean or super crunchy or sweet bluesy with rhythm 2 channel.

I know the IIc+ lead is really good, but for what I heard on youtube (which could be wrong!) I can get the same sounds out of my mark IV.
And when you buy the mark IV, and you can't get any good tones, don't sell but try as much knobs as you can find on your mark IV, it will take years before you know all the different tone settings and how to get the fattest, or the smoothest sounds.

And, even from beatles to ozzy, which is quite a difference, the mark IV will be perfect. (I sound like a salesman I know) I played with my ex-band on a few small festivals, and we did songs like whole lotta rosie, the passenger, Johnny B goode (jimi hendrix version), Are you gonna be my girl, house of the rising sun, sultans of swing,... Last time I tried some Death metal and man, even that is no problem. No worries mate, the mark IV is excellent!

I own 2 C+s and a IV and they're different beasts... the Mark IV can approximate it but it's just not the same. Either way that's neither here nor there. Get the Mark IV, you'll be right where you want to be :)

Thanks for the input guys. You are confirming the impressions I had about the rhythm and lead tones.

So I should see a good improvement over the single recto clean?
Let's be honest, the Rectifier clean tones (beside Roadster and Roadking) are ok but not so sparkling.

Of course I am hot expecting a Lone Star, but I am just anxious to be at least better than my actual clean.

I heard that the M4 cleans are kind of Fenderish? I have an old Fender Vibrasonic 1961 tube amp, which is kind of a reference for me.

So if it comes into the same sound territory, I think I will give that amp a chance!

Regards

nicoroy123 said:
Thanks for the input guys. You are confirming the impressions I had about the rhythm and lead tones.

So I should see a good improvement over the single recto clean?
Let's be honest, the Rectifier clean tones (beside Roadster and Roadking) are ok but not so sparkling.

Of course I am hot expecting a Lone Star, but I am just anxious to be at least better than my actual clean.

I heard that the M4 cleans are kind of Fenderish? I have an old Fender Vibrasonic 1961 tube amp, which is kind of a reference for me.

So if it comes into the same sound territory, I think I will give that amp a chance!

Regards

Yes they are very Fendery and they will kill your Recto's cleans.

Platypus said:
I own 2 C+s and a IV and they're different beasts... the Mark IV can approximate it but it's just not the same. Either way that's neither here nor there. Get the Mark IV, you'll be right where you want to be :)

Hey plat, since you have a c+ and a IV, how would you describe the sound/feel differences, i have a IV but i'm dying to try a c+.

willrock said:
Platypus said:

Hey plat, since you have a c+ and a IV, how would you describe the sound/feel differences, i have a IV but i'm dying to try a c+.

i mean the lead channel, of course. :D

Uhm I forgot to mention: I had to replace my tubes, I put in Groovetubes EL34 for the end-socket and !12AX7 sovtechs for the pre-amp. If you have 200-250 $ extra you should really do this when you're not satisfied when you buy it.

And for the fender vs gibson: It really does sound cool for a fender, might be because these killers were made with fender stuff at the early days, I don't have any idea actually :p The clean + fender is able to sound like a real Jimi Hendrix, sounds perfectly for Wind Cries Mary/Hey Joe/Little wing.

For lead: I never tried with a gibson les paul (which i will buy in august), but I think it will sound even better. Mark IV can handle a lot of genres with fender guitars too, so no worries, as long as you keep changing you tone settings, cuz the tinyest change can change your whole sound.

willrock said:
willrock said:
Platypus said:

i mean the lead channel, of course. :D

I'll try but it's pretty subjective. The C+ is more natural and organic sounding and responds extremely well to your playing, it's like you can coax any sound you want out of it just by how you play it. The IV does this to some extent but it's just not the same. It really is an instrument, thats how it feels to play one. Aside from that it's not as dark and feels more harmonically rich.

About the Mark IV and IIC+...
Anybody knows which one Petrucci used for lead and which one for rhythm on DT and LTE studio albums?

Petrucci has a couple of really cool videos on youtube where he gives you the full tour of his live rigs. I dont know how long ago the video was taken but in an older one he is running a pair of IIC+ simul heads and in the newer one he is running a pair of Mark IVs and a lonestar for the cleans and I hear he is has a Mark V for demo. All I can say is that it must be nice to have factory sponsorship.

Back