Mesa/Boogie MK2 c+ or Mark V head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friedmett

Reaction score
I finally got money for a MK2C+ and a head is aviable in Germany.

However its more expensive at 4444 euros than a new Mark V head.

What would you go for and why?

I dig the MK2C+ sounds of Metallica and both amps sounds awesome on the MK2C+settings.

I guess if the original Mk2 c+ is in good shape get that. They are far more rare. You an always pick up a mark V in the future.

that is overpriced, I live in europe too and that's just crazy!!!

Its true. Europeans have to pay truly horrendous prices for those amps. Its really overpriced, considering that theres not many who can fix them in case they break.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Mesa-Boogie-MK-II-C-Mark-2C-EQ-RV-Simul-excellent-/290473973153?pt=Amps&hash=item43a19915a1

I don't really care about the age to much. I still got my Marshall 50 watt 2104 combo Ex Thin Lizzy from 1978 that sounds awesome and still stock apart from a former owner whose done an effects loop on it.

Mark V all the Way, you will get more tones with the Mark V and the IIc+ is one of them.
and if it's more cheap than the old IIC+ than i would not hesitate to get a Brand New Mark V.

Do the real MK2C+ and MK V gain for MK2C+ actually sound alike? How close?

Friedmett said:
Do the real MK2C+ and MK V gain for MK2C+ actually sound alike? How close?

They are similar, but i'm sure there is a difference.

for that price you can pick up a mark V AND a 2c+. for little more than that you can buy them BOTH...and i'm in europe too!! if you search well a 2c+ here in europe can usually go for MAX 2500€...and you can have them even cheaper....

In Denmark Mesa/Boogie amps are not imported and even these days no official stock anywhere only a few spred all ower the country once in a while.

European voltage is 220-240 voltage and this limits original Boogies like this one so that's one of the reason for the more expensive price ower here.

Where do I search in Europe for a Mark2C+ head like the one in the link? Other tolex like black or white does not matter.

germany and the netherlands my friend... I had one (60watt non eq, non reverb combo) and sold it for 1600 euro which is an ok price... Fully loaded ok price in europe is around 2500 euro's and sometimes even less. Don't buy this one, it's extremely overpriced imho

hi fridmett my danish brother :)

You just missed my DRG c+ , it was sold for 17000 dkr, that about 2200 euro`s

I have compared it with the mark V at aage, the dont sound the same, the V is more stiff, and less organic,and dont bark the same way the c+ dos if you play metal, but both sounds amazing and the V is like 10 times as versital.

But im a purist and thats why i bourgt another c+ .

but the next amp il get would proberly be the V because of channel one and two, those channels shine more then channel 3 IMO, and has crazy good jazzy clean , rock , blues sounds + it is a true concert players dream amp.
il keep the c+ as recording amp and for song and riff inspiration.

If you get a c+ Make sure you get some good nos tubes for it ,remember it has fixed bias and will run best with the right sylvania tubes, it really makes a world of a difference IMO

I agree with the C+ on Ebay. It's way overpriced. The original PT Transformer was replaced by a 240V Transformer from TAD. That will also cut the value of the Amp. Instead of the 4444€ you could really get a Mark V and a fully loaded Mark III. I wouldn't say European IIC+ are overpriced. Looking at the US IIC+ they're not cheaper. The same seller selling the DRG in Germany sold a IIC+ DRGX Hardwood Combo for 4000€. Actually the DRG IIC+ reaches $3000-$4000 in the US. Plus postage, tax and customs you have the same price in Euros.

I would go for the Mark V if you want to stay versatile with the tone. There is also a thread somewhere in the "Mark V" thread where there was a direct comparsion with both amps. I also remember some Forum members have both Amps and compared them saying that they sound very similar. But there are so much information on this, since the Mark V came out. So for any one who is interested can search in the Mark V Thread.

The thing is what settings do you love on a c+ ? some settings on the c+ is easy duplicated on the V and some ar not.

One thing is for sure the respons is not the same, and the Mark V seem to lack what the pull deep dos to the c+.

Im not saying one is better the then other , you can turned it around dos the c+ come close to the mark V ?, both are special.

As i recall the comparison where made where both amps used stock mesa tubes, the c+ with sylvania 415/416 str tubes sound very different , i know because i have had both mesas and sylvanias power tubes in my c+.
And the did NOT use the metallica/metal settings on the c+ as comparison

The mark V is the wisest choice IMO , you will have many different sounds to chose from and a solid world class amp that is easy fixable and will give you the metallica sounds and then some.

On the other hand
If you like searching for nos tubes , constantly worring about if you amp breaks down or gets stolen , dont mind having to crank it loud enough to get hearing damaged. the sound of c+ can be a life chaning event.

Thank you for your answers.

I've been taking a look around this site and MKIIC+ guide for dummies + the Mark V section has been very imformative so far.

Deep down I have come to what kind of MKII C+ I would like to get. It's what you would call the "crunshberries" as used by Metallica in the '80s at least.

I do not know what this head is actually called other than MKII C+. The type I'm not sure about.

Again the Mark V is very simpel to get even in Denmark. A local dealer can get one in 4 weeks to the same price as getting one imported from UK or Germany. Having one in stock is a different matter as there are no Mark V's around in my location.

I can wait for the right MKII C+ to turn up as it will come up some day.

Also I do like my Quad preamp so a Mesa poweramp might be a solution as well. The right kind of poweramp is like the MKII C+ it takes time to turn up.

I do dig the Justice and Puppets crunch but I do need more than that and a Mark V has it.

Friedmett said:
Thank you for your answers.

I've been taking a look around this site and MKIIC+ guide for dummies + the Mark V section has been very imformative so far.

Deep down I have come to what kind of MKII C+ I would like to get. It's what you would call the "crunshberries" as used by Metallica in the '80s at least.

I do not know what this head is actually called other than MKII C+. The type I'm not sure about.

Again the Mark V is very simpel to get even in Denmark. A local dealer can get one in 4 weeks to the same price as getting one imported from UK or Germany. Having one in stock is a different matter as there are no Mark V's around in my location.

I can wait for the right MKII C+ to turn up as it will come up some day.

Also I do like my Quad preamp so a Mesa poweramp might be a solution as well. The right kind of poweramp is like the MKII C+ it takes time to turn up.

I do dig the Justice and Puppets crunch but I do need more than that and a Mark V has it.

The crunch berri is a DRG spec IIc+ (DRG= eq/reverbe/simul class) and has a 105 power transformer wich is the one that are on the orginal c+ and not the upgrades, but the difference should be minimal.

The IIC+ is an excellent amp, but I would head straight to the Mark V. The V's are sounding pretty **** bad ***. I just heard another one live the other night that was kickin' *** and taking names. That amp seems to be able to get nice and chunky with a grit all the while still retaining silky smooths for leads. Very tight sounding amp. The cleans are very sweet and chimey as well. I love older Mark series amps, but sometimes they may need a little TLC which may cost time and money. One may want to go that route, one may not. But seriously, if you want good tone right out of the box with a crap load of versatility ( and a warranty! ), hit up that Mark V. Those amps are convincing me more and more every time I hear one.

~Nep~

Back