My DIY 2x12 build process

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haha

Reaction score
I've had this up on another forum for some time. Thought maybe a few people might enjoy looking at some pictures.. :p

Phil

haha said:
(...like a month ago)

SSL21111.jpg

Let's see what's in it shall we?

SSL21112.jpg

Hm.. A piece fabric, strings, input-jack and plate, more boxes?

" 'ello govnar!" :wink:
SSL21114.jpg

And another one 8)

SSL21115.jpg

My sister helped me get some wood, look!

SSL21132.jpg

They cut the plywood up at the place for a fixed fee per cut. Well spent money as the only electric tool we have is a drill/screwdriver!

Time to get dirty!
SSL21133.jpg

Yeah, that's my *** applying pressure..
SSL21139.jpg

****, need something heavy.. I know! :wink:
SSL21140.jpg

The metal corners I had gotten turned out to be to long for the front so I had to come up with something.
SSL21146.jpg

Unfortunately these turned out to be insufficient, so I had to add yet another piece in each corner.. all that work :(

Anyway..

SSL21147.jpg

Frame for the back-panel added (+ some inside reinforcements, don't know if they're really good for anything but what the hell). You can also see the markings for the mounting-holes.

The (insufficient) corners added and this thing is ready for paint (I ended up painting it three times)!
SSL21151.jpg

Check that color out! :twisted:
SSL21152.jpg

Edges sanded down...
SSL21154.jpg

..I also added a few screws as you can see.
SSL21156.jpg

Time to put on the vinyl..
SSL21161.jpg

..Which basically took an entire day. Folding in the corners was a real ***** :eek:
SSL21162.jpg

Mounting holes pre-drilled. I was a bit nervous of going way to far right through the baffle, it all worked out just fine though.
SSL21164.jpg

One..
SSL21165.jpg

..and two!
SSL21166.jpg

Somewhere along it got caulked as well..

Funny story (I think) of when I got the screws for the speakers (the ones I used on the cab (By now I really do hope you have figured out it's a cab!) itself were too long. Those I got from my uncle who helped me cut the baffle-holes btw). I walked in to the hard-ware store, picked out a suitable screw and filled a little plastic bag with a whooping 16 screws. I go to the register to pay and the guy asks for 10 sek (about $1,5). I take out my credit card (didn't have any cash... :lol: ), and the guy goes "uh.. whatever, they're on me". Free screws!
:lol:

Back on topic..

I just had to take a pic cause it was so **** cool to finally have the speakers in!
SSL21167.jpg

Ok, time for some more little things. Found rubber feet (yeay :D ), and bought four additional corners for the backside (I didn't plan to have corners on the back but I couldn't find anything else that actually looked good. I guess I'll just have to unscrew them if I ever need to remove the back-panel). Also got some smaller screws (history does repeat itself, i.e. same thing happened as when I got the screws for the speakers, chocking huh? :lol: ).
SSL21169.jpg

Feet installed (did the front corners right after)..
SSL21171.jpg

Jack-plate next..
SSL21173.jpg

..(guess which finger :wink: :lol: )..
SSL21181.jpg

..and now that's on as well.
SSL21183.jpg

Now, I know what you guys are thinking right now: "****, I wonder what this thing looks like with an X2 on top of it!". Well, here you go!
SSL21184.jpg

Wires ready to be soldered.
SSL21186.jpg

Oh shoot, no solder at home. Hang on, I just gotta go to my uncle again and get some solder.. *leaves*

1,5h

*re-enters* Right, there we go 8) !
SSL21187.jpg

All ready to begin..
SSL21189.jpg

..and done!
SSL21190.jpg

IT WORKS!! HALLELUJAH!!
SSL21193.jpg

All there is left is fixing the back-panel up. It won't fit as it's too big, so I'm going to have to sand it down and put some vinyl on that too and THEN it will all be finished... after I've fitted the rear corners as well... AND I've found something fitting for a grill..
So there you have it! Lot's of time and glue (!!) later. Whaddya think? 8)

/Phil

*Update*

So I finally sawed off enough off the back for it to fit in the cab a couple of days ago.

Pre
SSL21197.jpg

I covered it in the same vinyl I used for the box...
SSL21199.jpg

..screwed it :wink: ..
SSL21201.jpg

..and fitted the remaining corners. All done yesterday
SSL21206.jpg

(ok, so not all that much work but whatever..)

Here it is again with the amp (can't have too much pron ey? :wink: )
SSL21207.jpg

Sounds pretty good to me, only needs a grill now (better safe than sorry, right..).. oh and some handles would be nice! 8)

Wow this is timely. I'll be building a 2 x 12 (vertical) in the next few weeks. Thanks for sharing this. This is just type of thing I was looking for.

Where did you get your hardware?

PS I loved your story about the credit card. haha.

The green color is over the top by I love these types of things. I't's giving me some ideas. Muuhhahahaha.

Thanks again.

What forum did you originally post your progress?

I found the hardware in a local store. Took me a while though.. :lol: I originally posted it up on the Dean forum.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Cool project. I've done a few of these. I can't see your pics at work but I'll be sure to check them at out at home. Here are some pics of cabs I've made...

cab_2.JPG

cab_3.JPG

cab_4.JPG

cab_5.JPG

cab_6.JPG

cab_front.JPG

Jacko123 said:
So Cudbucket ... did you use velcro to attach the grill? I see your cabs have a small tab at the bottom.

Exactly. My grills fit very tightly in the cab and the tabs were key. The piping was part of the grill and that's what provided the friction-fit so the grills were secure. Worked great.

Nicely done! I will be building a 2x10 cab soon... your pics have inspired me. 8)

That's awesome. I wanted to build a cab for a while but I don't have the space to do it in my apartment with a family and all.

I am inspired by the green though. Looks Cool.

Scott

Latest posts

Back