v30 compared to c90 or c80

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmb

Reaction score
I'm very curious to hear how a v30 sounds compared to a c90 or c80.
Does anyone have clips of both speakers played on with a mark III or a IV
Thank you

Don't have any clips but the C90/80 are a bit smoother/mellow sounding than the V30.

I much prefer the V30, after some LONG comparing and A/Bing.

This is all with a rectifier, which I have come to not like very much in general :lol:

The V30's gave the amp a nice kick and attack....mids were there, and it was really aggressive....fairly good clarity for a rectifier.

Then I plugged into the C90s, and it seemed as if I LOST a bunch of clarity....everything seemed slurred together and not articulate at all. Didn't like them in the slightest.

Some guys here get good results with them though :?

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I much prefer the V30, after some LONG comparing and A/Bing.

This is all with a rectifier, which I have come to not like very much in general :lol:

The V30's gave the amp a nice kick and attack....mids were there, and it was really aggressive....fairly good clarity for a rectifier.

Then I plugged into the C90s, and it seemed as if I LOST a bunch of clarity....everything seemed slurred together and not articulate at all. Didn't like them in the slightest.

Some guys here get good results with them though :?
Thanks guys
I seem to like v30's too, but markseries are made with c90's in them, so I thought they would really fit together very well, and maybe not sound very good together with a recto, but really compliment a markseries amp very nice.
I just think it's not worth buying c90's without hearing them at first

pmb said:
but markseries are made with c90's in them
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think a major reason for that is that a mark combo would blow a single v30 with a simple nudge of the master volume knob

That's a possibility, but still, the cabinets they made for markseries had c90's or EV's in them most of the time, while four v30's would be enough watts to play through.
I just heard the recordings in this post
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=15837
Those are played through an EV. I really don't like that sharp sound. The way my mark III sounds through v30's is a lot better, much warmer and fatter.
Is the sound through c90's comparable to the sounds in the clips?? If yes, it's clear to me I have to stick with the v30's.

Someone who can tell me if c90's sound something like the EV's??
Thank you :D :D

I just heard the clips on john D's myspace. I think there the EV's sound a lot better but still I think I like v30's much better. The EV-stuff sounds very Stryper alike.

it's really hard to judge speakers based on recordings alone, i think you really need to be in a room with the amp to tell

Which is why a guy like Hetfield, for instance prefers v30's as well. His big v-scoops work very well with the added midrange of the v30's, they round each other off and make for a nice sound.

Hetfield scoops the 750, but sets his 2200 very high, and v30's have a lot of mids but especially the higher mids, so it isn't fully correct. I know c90's have less mids, but I'm afraid they would sound harsh, just like the EV's seem to.
And I like v30's, their breakup sounds amazing.

I have a set of Greenbacks and was thinking about swapping them out with V30's. Any opinion of the tonality comparison of V30's to Greenbacks?

Mark

I tried V30s in a Peavey 412MS cabinet and later tried C-90's. This topic is all about finding great combinations. It is not the speakers or the amps, but specific speakers with specific amps for specific classic tones. My C-90's are in two Bogner Cubes now and work great with my Lonestar Classic but not as good with my Hughes & Kettner VS-250.

The V-30s for me are better for the Boogie Metal amp sounds, which I don't use right now. I prefer G12H30s with a Mojave Scorpion I have, which is dead-on Marshall Plexi. The V30s for me are too bright in a Marshall amp, but may be perfect in a Boogie 80s metal tone amp. I don't have these amps so I can't say.

I learned. It is the combinations that are in play here. That is why the topic is so confusing. It is why a Hiwatt craves a Fane, and so on. It costs money to experiment, unfortunately. To save money, copy the classic combinations from the classic songs.

Gtrzan99 said:
I have a set of Greenbacks and was thinking about swapping them out with V30's. Any opinion of the tonality comparison of V30's to Greenbacks?

Mark

The Greenbacks have quite a low power rating, don't they? Maybe in a 4 x 12 cabinet that could work,
but in a 2 x 12 cabinet with 4 or 6 power tubes you'd be asking for trouble, wouldn't you?

Greenbacks are rated at 25 watts and have a smaller maginet. They do not have as much bottem or top end as a V30 and have more midrange.

Now the G12H is suppose to be a comination between the V30 and greenback.

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=7

123thefirst said:
Gtrzan99 said:

Mark

The Greenbacks have quite a low power rating, don't they? Maybe in a 4 x 12 cabinet that could work,
but in a 2 x 12 cabinet with 4 or 6 power tubes you'd be asking for trouble, wouldn't you?

I have a 5:50 1x12 combo with the C9 black shadow (open back) - the C9 is a good speaker. No criticism there.

Then I had my own closed back cab made with 2 x V30's and had it wired so I could use either

1) the C9 alone
2) the 2 x 12 cab alone
3) the C9 plus the cab

Result - 2) was a big improvement on 1) and 3) was another significant improvement. My cab maker was a local guy whose been making and repairing amps forever. He reckons the overall quality on the V30's is THE best in the Celestion range. He doesn't rate Eminence at all.

I've been doing lots of A/Bing with the Road King dual chamber cabinet. On first impression the C90's are very mellow compared to the V30's. But they also have a lot more real bass response. They work very well for clean sounds. The V30 is too pungent there. The V30's are everywhere "in your face".

I just added a very high end cable from the amp to the speaker and now the C90's really sing with beauty, definition and much more punch - no longer mellow.

I've recently heard a respected person say that V30's are the best choice for modern metal. Celestion Blues are for the Blues and Blues Rock. G12H's are the original Marshall speaker and are best for 70's rock and also do classic British rock very well along with Greenbacks (which are great for jazz).

Along those lines this is what I'm looking at so far:

Blues/Jazz Tones:
Lone Star 6V6 in Class A: Mesa Lone Star 23 1x12 Cabinet w/ Celestion Blue (Low Volume)
Lone Star 6V6 Class AB: Mesa 3/4 1x12 Cabinets w/ Celestion Gold (Normal Volume)

Modern/Rock Tones:
Splawn Nitro KT88: Mesa 3/4 1x12 Cabinets w/ Celestion 90 or V30
Dual Rectifier 6L6: Mesa 3/4 1x12 Cabinets w/ Celestion 90 or V30

Atleast for my Roadster, I think I prefer the Celestion 90s over V30s, but not sure which I'll prefer for mic'ing. So I could possibly end up having my ears preference on top (C90) and the mic preference on bottom (V30), stacked 3/4 1x12s.

Back