Would I REALLY benefit from a Maxon OD808 in front?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The difference in the modes (from what I noticed when I had one) was the amount of low end. That pedal is capable of loads of low end girth. I still prefer my OD808.

DirtyNoise said:
DSC04821.jpg

No OD808 in this photo but it's there NOW!! Yeahhhh!!!

No OD808.

BUT.....

there appears to be a Triceritops....and not every jam room has one of those!!!!! :mrgreen:

MetalMGH said:
What's the difference between the modes? Cuz I know on my TS7 it can be either in TS9 or "Hot" mode, the latter totally defeating the purpose cuz it turns it into a generic distortion box (and thus why I never use it)

It changes the tone a little, especially the low end, and the amount and who the saturation sounds like, eg. TS9 mode sounding more TS9 like than the other modes. Granted, I own a Keeley modded TS9DX Flexi 4X2, and all the controls, including the modes, are more useable than a stock pedal...

I have a few different pedals on my board at the moment- on the front end of a Rev G Racto.

Voodoolab Sparkledrive
Fulltone OCD
Emma Stinkbug

Out of all of them the Stinkbug is my favourite for tightening up the bottom end.

Robusto said:
DirtyNoise said:
DSC04821.jpg

No OD808 in this photo but it's there NOW!! Yeahhhh!!!

No OD808.

BUT.....

there appears to be a Triceritops....and not every jam room has one of those!!!!! :mrgreen:

Ya this phot is current just not with the OD on the board..it IS THERE NOW FOR DAM SURE!!

Anybody ever try one of these? Im thinking about picking up one.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/fxkitindex.html

droptrd said:
Anybody ever try one of these? Im thinking about picking up one.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/fxkitindex.html

I tried the Triangle Big Muff clone, put it up against my old '71 Triangle Big Muff and it sounded like *** in comparison. It was so different I wouldn't even call it a clone. I've heard better reviews of some of their other products though.

I'm using a Boss SD-1, modified by Analog Mike thru my Dual Rectifier. I love the way it sounds. I also have a modded DS-1 which is a little too harsh unless I'm using it thru the clean channel.

Just giving you another way to go here.

http://www.analogman.com/boss.htm#basics

droptrd,

Their Tubescreamer options are some of the best out there, regardless of price. Every aspect of the Tubescreamer's circuitry is fairly well known on the modding circuit (pardon the pun), as are the various change options available. You can literally duplicate that unit from parts, or create whatever various mods off of that platform you want, including all the production model OD's based on it.

Chris McKinley said:
droptrd,

Their Tubescreamer options are some of the best out there, regardless of price. Every aspect of the Tubescreamer's circuitry is fairly well known on the modding circuit (pardon the pun), as are the various change options available. You can literally duplicate that unit from parts, or create whatever various mods off of that platform you want, including all the production model OD's based on it.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a fun project. Time to start building up my Paypal acount :lol:

Have to say, Ive moved on in the amp department after 10 yrs. of giging with my TOV, but after reading this thread i tried my Tubescreamer like everyone recomended and it solved every thing that i didnt like anymore with my DR (loose bass, lack of harmonics and that upper mid push that makes single note leads sound much fuller) This pedal has made me fall back in love with this amp! I now use a Zakk Wylde OD that i "borrowed" off my brother in law! If you have a chance try the ZW pedal, i like it better than my old ts9! Volume all the way up, tone in the middle and drive all the way down! My Mesa sounds like a boutique amp that costs much more now! What sucks is ive had these "tools" for years and never thought of putting an OD infront if that amp cuz i thought it had plenty of distortion but thats not what it adds! Just focuses the amp! :D

Latest posts

Back