Out of love with my OD808 :-(

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
screamingdaisy said:
Neptical said:
Why not just buy an amp that produces it all without any pedals in front???
To be honest, I've never liked pedals of any kind in front of an amp---especially a Rectifier.

~Nep~

And where would someone be able to find an amp that sounds exactly like a boosted Recto?
Me.

I'm building a prototype right now, and will have ordering available within 4-6 weeks. The clip I posted of my build was alright, but the tones I'm getting out of this thing now are unreal. Like a boosted Rectifier, but better. It will have two very usable switches that take it from standard heavy Rectifier to boosted Rectifier to Pre-500 to boosted Pre-500, all using simple circuitry for the best possible sound and, of course, all tube.

I'll be posting more information as all my parts come in for the prototype. Plenty of clips and hopefully videos will follow.

I'm new to all this tube amp type stuff, but as a metal player, I've gotten much better results from using an equalizer pedal to not only feed the amp more of the frequencies I want it to distort (compress) but also to increase the signal hitting the amp.. ie a REALLY loud guitar.

distortion/overdrive/fuzz into distortion just gets way too undefined sounding for me, which is 90% of the reason most live metal bands sound like crap, esp with 2 guitarists. Way too much distortion and saturation from too many sources.

Usually what people want more than distortion is compression and eq, give it a try. it changes the texture of the distortion, which is what you commonly want to hear.

screamingdaisy said:
Neptical said:
Why not just buy an amp that produces it all without any pedals in front???
To be honest, I've never liked pedals of any kind in front of an amp---especially a Rectifier.

~Nep~

And where would someone be able to find an amp that sounds exactly like a boosted Recto?
Not exact, but a Framus Cobra is close.

The Maxon OD808 does wonders for my Lone Star, but doesn't really work the same with the IIc+ or my DR. I have gotten better results on those with the Xotic RC Booster. (I am also tempted to try the EP Booster.)

I love my Maxon OD808 running in front of my 2CH Triple! I clone both channels and have the orange channel gain about 1 or 2 o'clock, my presence is also around 1 or 2 o'clock with bass being at 10, mids at 11, and treble around 1. Maxon's overdrive is at zero, tone around 10:00, and the balance full. I have had so many people tell me that my tone is insane! When I switch to my red channel I have the gain slightly higher as well as my master volume up to provide a nice solo boost. Works very well with the g-major for delays since it only kicks on on the red channel. My other guitarist has an Ibanez Tubescreamer and it also sounds really good. His is slightly more smooth sounding than mine which has more grit to it. He also uses his TS as a clean boost, works VERY well with the boogies!

Latest posts

Back