Why so much DIRT hate?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
papersoul said:
Have any of you with the Electradyne, had a chance to play the Royal Atlantic?
I am still considering the Royal, only because I need good tones at all volumes although I think the ED sounds bigger and wider, and less like my Bogner Shiva.

I own both amps. The ED for sure is bigger sounding with its subsonic lows. It is also warmer sounding with lots of low mid presence. The ED also seems to be more musical with lead notes that sing and enticing cleans. Marshall JTM + Fender Black face.

The RA is colder sounding, but not in a bad way, it has more cut. Vintage low is more dynanic than the EDs and does better crunch in my opinion. Vintage high is thicker sounding. Very JCM + the Fender cleans, but voiced a little higher.

I also want to make the comment, that while the RA does have way more gain available, you don't have to use it. The pot tapers are VERY good.

Since I have a Bogner 20th Shiva with EL34s and a PWE Event Horizon which reminds me a
a little of a Bogner XTC blue, I don't see a need for the RA.
I am still considering an Egnater Mod 50 too.
I like good low mids so the ED might be good.

Haha, I need to sell some stock first and also wait for a used head to come up for sale.

J.J said:
papersoul said:
Have any of you with the Electradyne, had a chance to play the Royal Atlantic?
I am still considering the Royal, only because I need good tones at all volumes although I think the ED sounds bigger and wider, and less like my Bogner Shiva.

I own both amps. The ED for sure is bigger sounding with its subsonic lows. It is also warmer sounding with lots of low mid presence. The ED also seems to be more musical with lead notes that sing and enticing cleans. Marshall JTM + Fender Black face.

The RA is colder sounding, but not in a bad way, it has more cut. Vintage low is more dynanic than the EDs and does better crunch in my opinion. Vintage high is thicker sounding. Very JCM + the Fender cleans, but voiced a little higher.

I also want to make the comment, that while the RA does have way more gain available, you don't have to use it. The pot tapers are VERY good.

I think I might like the RA but I really like using Vintage Hi as a rhythm channel with the 'volume' set to around 2:30 / 3:00. It is the very unique tone that drew me to the amp in the first place. I thought 'finally, an amp will do the sound I hear in my head.' I spend so many dollars trying to make my recto sounds like a 'dyne before ever trying one. I also like how huge and wide this amp sounds while simultaneously having quite a hot midrange and cutting exceptionally well. While the crunch tone may be better on the Royal Atlantic, I think the crunch tone on the Electra Dyne is by no means bad. Rather, it is really **** good and anything better than this is just icing!

papersoul said:
Since I have a Bogner 20th Shiva with EL34s and a PWE Event Horizon which reminds me a
a little of a Bogner XTC blue, I don't see a need for the RA.
I am still considering an Egnater Mod 50 too.
I like good low mids so the ED might be good.

If you like awesome mid gain tones and a really clear, crunchy, and articulate vintage high gain tone you'll love the 'Dyne. It doesn't do those firehose gain tones like a Mark V but the lead playing is really expressive with a lot of nuance. Just can't mess up when you play because there is nowhere to hide!

J.J said:
Go and get and ED already :D

If you recall, I suffered for over a year before getting mine.

papersoul said:
Haha, I need to sell some stock first and also wait for a used head to come up for sale.

Now for the wait, I hate that part most.

YellowJacket said:
I think I might like the RA but I really like using Vintage Hi as a rhythm channel with the 'volume' set to around 2:30 / 3:00. It is the very unique tone that drew me to the amp in the first place. I thought 'finally, an amp will do the sound I hear in my head.' I spend so many dollars trying to make my recto sounds like a 'dyne before ever trying one. I also like how huge and wide this amp sounds while simultaneously having quite a hot midrange and cutting exceptionally well. While the crunch tone may be better on the Royal Atlantic, I think the crunch tone on the Electra Dyne is by no means bad. Rather, it is really **** good and anything better than this is just icing!

Yep, me too. I feel the pain brother :wink:

Yes, I'm sure you would like the RA, I think you may even love its vintage high, but don't go and play one in case you do get GAS :lol: . By the vintage low crunch being better, I mean in the sense of traditional crunch. To me that means a percussive explosion of noise when you want it or you can back off a little and play almost clean. Gain around 12:00 to 1:00 does this for me with the BK Mules. That tone though is not so good for solos as there is so little compression.

The ED vintage low is just very rich and full sounding and has enough comparison for lighter solos, but doesn't clean up quite as well.

None of it bad, they cover quite different area. I still own both becuase one doesn't really replace the other. Cleans are another significant difference. The ED has that great meaty and stiff SRV tone with the top end sting. The RA is more pretty, yet breaks up a little more gently and has more harmonic focus.

Tried the RA and think it is too much like my 20th Shiva with EL34s but not quite as full and rich sounding.

The one complaint I had with the ED, even though I lived the wide tone was the gain doesn't clean up as well as some.other amps. For example, I thouh the Fryette Sig X cleaned up better.

But I really like wide and huge tone of a lot of Mesa amps like the Dual Rectifiers but always hated playing solos on them. The Sig X was wide like that but too stiff. The Deliverance would be so.sweet to own but I prefer an effects loop. If the ED fails me, I may try the Deliverance 60 and install an effects loop.

By the way, I found the ED gain fantastic. :)

The Electra Dyne's gain is FANTASTIC but the thing I like best about the amp is the feel. It is very possible to have every nuance of super expressive mid gain solos available. I personally have found that vintage lo cleans up pretty well when the gain is not dimed, even with pick dynamics alone. Vintage hi can dub as a great heavy rhythm tone / blow torch solo tone which means from jazz to rock, basically all the ground is covered. For what the amp cannot accomplish on its own, adjusting the controls on the guitar can give the extra push necessary.

J.J said:
papersoul said:

Now for the wait, I hate that part most.

YellowJacket said:

Yep, me too. I feel the pain brother :wink:

Yes, I'm sure you would like the RA, I think you may even love its vintage high, but don't go and play one in case you do get GAS :lol: . By the vintage low crunch being better, I mean in the sense of traditional crunch. To me that means a percussive explosion of noise when you want it or you can back off a little and play almost clean. Gain around 12:00 to 1:00 does this for me with the BK Mules. That tone though is not so good for solos as there is so little compression.

The ED vintage low is just very rich and full sounding and has enough comparison for lighter solos, but doesn't clean up quite as well.

None of it bad, they cover quite different area. I still own both becuase one doesn't really replace the other. Cleans are another significant difference. The ED has that great meaty and stiff SRV tone with the top end sting. The RA is more pretty, yet breaks up a little more gently and has more harmonic focus.

Awesome, but I'm too smart for this. Going to stay FAR away from the Royal Atlantic. I don't need GAS pains for a very VERY long time!

I would probably spend a lot of time on Vinatage Hi. Also looking to maybe grab an Egnater Mod 50!

There is a guy on Youtube who has a lot of ED videos, one of which is using the ED to play Alice in Chains Them Bones which is about as heavy as my band ever gets and the ED sounds massive, thick and tight!!!

I have seen and heard of many guys in hard rock bands using their Rectifiers as back up and their Electra Dyne as their main amp! That says something. And these are guys playing hard rock! Bayside is one such band, among others.

Listen to what Anthony Raneri says about the ED! Recto balls with clarity! And, a boost pedal will take you anywhere you want. This amp LOVES pedals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9FHh6lPdvU

Listen guys, this is the thing. I love my Bogner 20th Shiva and PWE Event Horizon. Both beautiful amps, I like well made gear that sounds and plays like a dream. I have always loved amps that sound HUGE for rhythm. Luckily my PWE sounds huge, huge for a Marshall type amp. But I am also looking for a third amp that is simple, sounds huge and is dynamic, cleans up well. I have always loved Rectifiers for their massive rhythm tones but could never get a good lead sound other than with the Rectover and Tremoverb but not with the same EQ settings. So with the Electradyne I was looking for that massive, punchy wide rhythm tone but with the ability to pull off a singing, thick, lead tones with the same amp settings.

One thing I love about my PWE and Bogner is I can get great rhyhtm and lead tones with the same settings.

papersoul said:
I have seen and heard of many guys in hard rock bands using their Rectifiers as back up and their Electra Dyne as their main amp! That says something. And these are guys playing hard rock! Bayside is one such band, among others.

I feel that the ED retains a lot of what I like about the Recto... namely, it retains the ability to alter the depth and tonality of the distortion when altering the way I attack the guitar, and it has a very expressive power section that expands a note by creating a separation between the attack and the sustain of a note via inducing a bit of sag when I dig in for big notes/riffs.

What I like about the ED is that it does this while excelling in the territory where the Recto traditionally fell flat... low gain overdrive to mid-gain crunch/lead.

The ED ad a Recto is a powerful pairing. Individually they compliment each other's tonal palate well... together they sound like you're dropping a bomb.

Well I am not a big enough Mesa fan to own more than one Boogie and I believe the Dyne is the Boogie for me. I like variety, so my amps so far are Bogner and PWE (AMAZING AMPS) and next, probably mid summer, will be Electra dyne because that is when I am planning my stock sale to get some more gear, also another Les Paul.

I like big, fat, wide sounding amps that still cut a mix.

This guy on Youtube proved to me just how big and nasty the ED can get.
He has killer clips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsfmK9roOzk&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlQlCWJsYLE&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_J2GtT3QdM&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgpBV12CJDc&feature=relmfu

This tone and the clean were the two reasons I bought an Electra Dyne in the first place. The rest was just gravy at first, but the middle ground is quickly becoming the staple of my tonal palette with this amp.

Funny story, I had a recital with my teaching studio and my one guitar student keeps claiming the 'Dyne so I get stuck with the recto. We played with the two amps, a markbass head, and a drummer. We got good tone at a low enough volume that I could sing un mic'd and be heard...

elvis said:
screamingdaisy said:
papersoul said:
The ED ad a Recto is a powerful pairing. Individually they compliment each other's tonal palate well... together they sound like you're dropping a bomb.

I've used my Dyne and MR in parallel, and it is monstrous!

UGGG. Now I'm going get GAS for an ABY box. My only complaint would be the epic amount of tap dancing necessary for channel switching two amps. To run both amps simultaneously, I think I'd pair the Recto's Red channel with Vintage Hi on the Dyne and have the orange channel set to clean and run it with the clean channel on the Recto. If I wanted some grit for cleans then I could recruit vintage lo.

That is cool, but I will never, ever bring two amps to a gig. No need to lug all that unless getting paid or if you are pro. The audience could care less. I do plan on getting an older SIngle Rec though since I am afraif the mini rec might not sound big enough or handle club gigs. Maybe I will run my Bogner 20th Shiva, PWE Event Horizon and Dyne when I get it...all together. LOL!

I agree. I do it at home for fun because both my amps are on the same wireless channel.

One thing I like to do is set up a repeating rhythm with the Dyne and a looper (I use a Time Factor), and play over it thru the MR, or both the MR and Dyne (I have the looper set up in the FX loop of the Dyne so I can set the rhythm, then switch the settings of the Dyne and play over the rhythm). It's wild because I can have one amp clean and one amp dirty, or one dry and one wet, or different FX on each, etc. It's pretty unbelievable!

I can't see any need to take the Dyne and Rectifier to a gig. The Dyne can sound brutal with a boost. Run the Xotic BB, Xotic EP or Barber Burn into it, and it kills. I hate the Modern setting on rectifiers.

Latest posts

Back