Who is your favorite guitarist?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense guys but Kerry King sucks, he has no diversity whatsoever and he doesnt even play his solos in the right key, he always sounds like a pissed off 16 year old playing guitar, but only he is in his 40's. If you heard one slayer album or song you have heard them all. Its time for some change.

In no real order.

Buckethead
Tom Morello
Paul Gilbert
Dave Knudson
Jimi Hendrix

There are more. These guys just stick out as big influences.

Trey Anastasio of Phish is in my opinion one of the most under-rated guitarists out there.

I think we should turn this into a poll - if anyone is willing to sort through and see who got "voted for" the most, then make a poll out of it. My favorites change from time to time, but my list (based on most skilled, favorite style, longest enduring in my favorites, and all current favorites) includes:

John Petrucci
Dave Mustaine
Marty Friedman
Zakk Wylde
David Gilmour
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
EVH
Yngwie
Paul Gilbert
Marco Sfogli

Special mention to:
Jimmy Page
Tony Iommi
Tom Morello
Trey Anastasio
Mikael Akerfeldt (probably butchered his last name)

Sorry, long post.

Steve albini
lee ranaldo
joey santiago

the fall of troy one... i don't know his name...
the prong one... especially the rythm on "cleansing"

maybe RL burnside as well

I second that emotion,gts...and rl burnside rules!!...and Joey is soooo correct...sykes is a monsta!I would like to add joey b and jay(home cooking...)its cool we all came together thru the guitar ,cars,etc...and we are still cookin' after all these years-viva la NAMM-lets do mesa soon!

here are a few that I haven't seen on the list yet:

Grant Green- one of the most underated old school jazz masters

Derek Trucks - the next evolution in slide guitar

Dave Fuzinski (Screaming headless torsos)- from the tightest funk rhythms to shredding fretless guitar solos, the guy is ridiculous :shock:

and for a glimpse at my all time favorite list:

Steve Howe - Yes Songs - live in '72
Pat Metheny - -Bright size life, w/Jaco - first album, I think he's 19!
Trey Anastasio- 92-93 for composition, '97 grooves/tasteful effects
Jimmy Page - my all time rock riff heavy weight champion
Prince - (your right gts, anyone who questions that one should listen to one of his legendary "after show" late night small club performances)
John Mclaughlin - Shakti era - check out their live recording-
Stevie Ray- and I'm not even a blues guy
Jimi- Axis Bold as Love
Django R. -most of that is done post accident (burn) with only two fingers of his fretting hand :shock:
Tony Rice - flatpicking master
o.k., there are lots more, but its back to work...

Heres one that hasn,t been mentioned...Played the odd boogie also ..Dan Huff. would be in my top 10..back in the day of the big hair.

jimi hendrix, eddie van halen, jerry garcia, vernon reid, eric clapton, chuck berry, trey anastasio, keith richards, kurt cobain, george thorogood, pat martino, warren haynes, john scofield, derek trucks, joe perry, chris robinson, neil young, bob dylan

so many more my pee-brain cant remember right now :wink:

changes from time to time but Nuno Bettencourt is at the top of my list.

Danny Gatton has been there as well. My jaw hits the floor everytime I hear him play. Same with Roy Buchanan. My father-in-law is a tele guy an introduced me to these fellas several years ago...arguably as life-changing as meeting his daughter... :lol:

Back