What's your favorite kind of strings and why?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started using Dean Markley lites (.009-.042)about 20 years ago, and haven't turned back. They were the only brand that I found that really held up for me without breaking so often. Every so often I will try something new, just in case I find something I might like better. But for now it's Dean Markleys for me.

Big Harry said:
Conclusion :
The best strings ever could be a breed between Elixir and Daddario :p

Elixir buys strings from D'Addario, they are wound to Elixir spec but are made for them by D'Addario.

People dont realize that there are only a handful of string manufacturers and most brands you see are the result of subcontracting. D'Addario makes strings for PRS, Elixir and few others.

I used D'Addario since 1986, and I can remember only having 3 bad sets. I liked the fact that they gave me/us bulk discounts. After I stretch a set out they hardly ever go out of tune.
I use DR High Beam's on my Bass, and they have a very piano like tone for funk, and for RnB with the highs rolled off have a nice bloom without sounding hollow.

My guitar actually has an LED Laser-bridge. It eliminates the need for those pesky, annoying "Strings" and gives way to real harmonic nuances via the Virtual SupraString package. The LED creates a light/laser coming from my bridge that runs over the frets and responds to my fretting on it via the supercomputer inside the guitar's neck pickup. You don't even need to push on the "strings" you can use a limp hand. This is how I outfitted my first guitar - my Hamer Slammer.

uuuuhhhhhh wait what??! to the guy above

ive been using ernie ball 9s just since theyre everywhere, generally cheap, and they sound pretty nice for a while.

i recently took a chance on first act strings which sounded pretty nice actually but after two weeks i couldnt even play the guitar anymore! they were horrible!

anyway i wanted to ask whats a good string that keeps its initial metallic ringy sound for the longest? i love that sound and its a drag playing a guitar with old mellowed out strings

kingster911 said:
My guitar actually has an LED Laser-bridge. It eliminates the need for those pesky, annoying "Strings" and gives way to real harmonic nuances via the Virtual SupraString package. The LED creates a light/laser coming from my bridge that runs over the frets and responds to my fretting on it via the supercomputer inside the guitar's neck pickup. You don't even need to push on the "strings" you can use a limp hand. This is how I outfitted my first guitar - my Hamer Slammer.

That's interesting. I've never heard of that. Is this a custum jobber you did yourself, or does someone manufacture these commercially?

I used to swear by GHS Boomers. Tried some EB's and hated them. When I joined my current band I didn't use our string endorsement for over a year (I like what I like) but then 12 sets for 20 bucks made me change my mind. I now use S.I.T. strings on all my guitars.

I use Curt Mangan strings... he worked for Ernie Ball for many many years and then went out on his own... He uses the best quality materials he can find and always gets them from the same supplier.. so the strings you got last year will sound like the pack you bought today.. they are very very consistent .. And they last a long time as well. My band manged to get a sponsorship from mangan strings from my local music store... we dont get them for free but we get a super nice discount on them..

Next time you are looking for something new give them a shot.

Me= D'Addario 9-42. I restrung mt sons Strat with EB 8-38 recently (either D'Addario does'nt make 8's or GC did'nt carry them), he's just starting to learn how to play so when his callouses kick in I'll up them to 9-42 and suggest even bumping it up to 10's just to hear the difference. 8)

I use Ernie Ball 11's(purple) with my ESP eclipse. They work really well and have a depth to their tone. Aside from longevity, I honestly don't see why one would need a more expensive string.

I've been playing for 22 years, and have spent most of that time looking for the string I like the best. For a long time, I used GHS Boomer 9.5's, but they take forever to break in and don't last long once they do. I went to Dean Markley Blue Steels, and they sound good but the G string never stays in tune (and I'm using Sperzel locking keys, with a fixed bridge). Tried Elixirs, hate them; they last forever but just don't sound or feel very good.
Last year my quest ended: Snake Oil Brand Strings. These strings have the feel and the sound that I've always been searching for. They come in two flavors: standard and rock formula. I use the rock formula, but the standard ones are wound from steel like they did in the '70s, if you're after that. The strings take a lot of stretching, but they last at LEAST 3 times as long as GHS, Ernie Balls, etc. They keep their tone SO long, that I actually get anxious to change them because dust starts to accumulate under the strings. I hate that you have to order them, but they're more than worth it; these strings are AWESOME!

Wow, I see a lot of love for D'Addarios, I'm probably going to try a set again; it's been 4 years since I've given up on them. I've been using 0.011-0.052 DR's (nice strings) and Dunlop (warmer and punchier).

So far I have tried Gibson Brite Wires and Les Paul Strings, Rotosound Rotoblues strings, D'Addario and various EB Slinkies, which work the best for me (10s). Just have to remember to wipe them because the wound strings don't really retain the chime very long. I rarely have one break and when it does it has already gone through so much abuse that I'm surprised it didn't break sooner.
If you need a cheap yet durable and decent sounding string, D'Addario can't be beat IMO.

I also like Elixirs for acoustics and bass guitars, these things last forever and they clean nicely.

i used a duncan JB for several years.....

but on a whim, i changed it out to a Custom Custom, i had a chance to try one in a paul, and liked it...

and in my Koa Carvin, it was perfect.
still is, 15 years later.

at this point, the only other pickup i'd consider changing it out to, would be a Bill Lawrence L-90

gonzo said:
i used a duncan JB for several years.....

but on a whim, i changed it out to a Custom Custom, i had a chance to try one in a paul, and liked it...

and in my Koa Carvin, it was perfect.
still is, 15 years later.

at this point, the only other pickup i'd consider changing it out to, would be a Bill Lawrence L-90

I think this might belong in another thread? :D

My all time favorites are Thomastik Blues Sliders, because they last a very long time, and the tonal difference between the wound and plain strings is zero - very important when I play Jazz, but very nice on any kind of lead. I haven't found another string that has this characteristic, and they respond the same on both my PRS and my Parker.

I've been playing for 8 years... and for the past couple of years, I've been using Elixirs... they seem to hold out very well. I used to use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, but they tended to alter tone after a while.

Hmmm...

D'Addario 9-42 Super Light. Tried all the rest. Keep coming back to these.

I am considering changing gauge.

Moving to a thicker gauge may yield more tone, sustain, thickness, percussive sound, something like 9.5-44 Super Light Plus or 10-46 Regular Light.

I have a bulk set of the 9-42 so I guess I need to play thru these first.

I try to use some of the best playing styles of Bettencourt, Vai and Gregg Howe, but I suck cuz I am just a hack...but I love to try hard and accidentally pull something out of my a$$. I wonder what these guys use and what gauge they play.

I've played DR's exclusively for the last 15 years. I like them on acoustic's and electric's. Started buying them because they were pretty cheap, and kept buying them because they last forever and sound good for a long time. The only other strings I've tried in this time were elixir's and I wasn't impressed enough to justify spending that much for strings. If you can get three pack's of DR's for the same as one set of elixir's I'd rather just change my strings more often and have strings with life in them.

Latest posts

Back