What made you decide to buy a mesa boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ryjan said:
fredster said:
Don West and his @%&^#* manuals:

"The MARK I sound is known for it’s huge low end and girth that can fatten single note sounds and create a voice that can not just carry, but propel a melody. This wall of gain can be shaped, not only to enhance single note sounds, it can be stripped back to create purring lower gain chording and Blues sounds as well. The higher GAIN settings produce amazing single note textures or, with the BASS and MID set low and the EQ kicked in, crushing heavy chord sounds."

OMG, WHO WOULDN'T WANT THAT???????

:lol: :lol: :lol:
No sh!t! :lol:
Don't read the Mark IV or Triaxis manual. You'll be selling blood and organs to get the funds for both.

Now thats funny right there! :lol:

I was on the road full time in 1985. And while sitting in a shop in Seattle while my Fender Super Reverb was getting serviced . . . (my Marshall had just gotten a new transformer one month earlier in San Francisco.) I pled with the tech for mercy as my paycheck was taking a beating from my amps lately. He suggested I look at Mesa Boogie. I told him I didn't think I could afford one. He then asked me how much I had spent on repairs over the last couple of years . . . I bought a Mark III shortly after that. Over the next ten years I never did anything more than change tubes.

markwayne said:
I was on the road full time in 1985. And while sitting in a shop in Seattle while my Fender Super Reverb was getting serviced . . . (my Marshall had just gotten a new transformer one month earlier in San Francisco.) I pled with the tech for mercy as my paycheck was taking a beating from my amps lately. He suggested I look at Mesa Boogie. I told him I didn't think I could afford one. He then asked me how much I had spent on repairs over the last couple of years . . . I bought a Mark III shortly after that. Over the next ten years I never did anything more than change tubes.
Like someone said in another thread: Mesa Boogie amps are hard to kill!

boss4 said:
markwayne said:
Like someone said in another thread: Mesa Boogie amps are hard to kill!

I will attest to that. My Nomad was knocked off its speaker cabinet, breaking off the 8ohm speaker jack as the speaker cable was very forcibly yanked out at an unnatural angle. The broken speaker jack and a scuff on the tolex was the only damage it took. That's it. Still plays just like day one.

TFridgen said:
No Use for a Name's 'Making Friends' album.

HELL YES!!!!

That record, Strung Out's Twisted By Design and Pennywise's Full Circle record still has me playing a Rectifier.

+1 for Pennywise, but I have to be honest I dig HiWatt amps for punk (face to face).

As for getting me into Boogies, Metallica and Chevelle (and just really sick of solid state, tone sucking gear in general). I haven't really been able to get the Chevelle sound yet. The Chevelle sound to me is really thick, dry and creamy if that makes sense.

fluff191 said:
TFridgen said:
No Use for a Name's 'Making Friends' album.

HELL YES!!!!

That record, Strung Out's Twisted By Design and Pennywise's Full Circle record still has me playing a Rectifier.

You, sir, just named another two of my favourite all time albums!!!!!!!!
PUNK ROCK LIVES!

Honestly? It came after years of having not good amps. My first tube amp was a B-52 AT-100 which I bought brand new and hand more problems with than anything. Then a Blue Voodoo. Better construction but not so good a sound. Constantly ran a graphic EQ to shape it how I wanted. Then my old boss got a good tax return and bought a Rectoverb and constantly told me that the sound that I was looking for between gain and cleans were in that little box. I got a decent return myself, so I bought a Single Rec off Ebay for $750. It was the best price I saw out of all the used ones at the time so I snagged it. I wasn't super worried about the reverb at first and was just stoked to have one of these heads. But I was nervous as hell waiting for it to come in :lol: . I hadn't played a rectifier in years and the one time was at a Guitar Center years ago. But my impulsiveness paid off. I got one of my favorite amps ever and have since made the Mesa name all I use for amps now. The other reason was that I couldn't let my boss have an amp that I didn't have :lol: But seriously they are superbly versatile amps and sound amazing. I tried Peavey, Marshall and VHT after I got my Mesas and while I liked different things about each one, I always kept coming back to my Tremoverb and Solo 50. They are MY sound.

Why?
The reason was fairly simple. I traded my AC15 HD for my Nomad55 combo, because I wanted an amp with 3 way eq. Of course I got much more, 3 channels, gain, master volume...
Why will she never leave?
TONE
She is the most versatile amp Ive ever used. She can do any style I ask of her.

Then and Now:

Then: Trey Anastasio of Phish

I'm in the minority here, but 11 years ago I bought a Mark IV because I wanted an amp that could do fusion, blues, and jazz... I had played many blues jams and (at 22 years of age,) was no longer much of a rocker. I had loved some metal in high school though. I ended up selling it after a month as I needed the money.. big mistake... next few years I downgraded to a hot rod deluxe, and even a cyber deluxe (due to money..)...

This year after building up better gear the last few years I finally have a Mark V again. I still love jazz and blues but as I have gotten older I rediscovered some of my rock and metal roots and enjoy a good chug as well as good cleans.... So now, along with Trey, there is DT, Metallica, Al Dimeola, Andy Timmons,..Santana... Some of whome I dug hard 11 years ago too, but I wasn't hip enough to know they played Boogie..

Latest posts

Back