What made you decide to buy a mesa boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EMGguitarist said:
Hetfield and Hammett
Mark Tremonti
Chad Kroeger
Wes Borland
Tony Rombola and Sully Erna
Head and Munky

on principle i hate chad kroeger but i have to admit the boy has great tone

mikey383 said:
jdurso said:
EMGguitarist said:
Hetfield and Hammett
Mark Tremonti
Chad Kroeger
Wes Borland
Tony Rombola and Sully Erna
Head and Munky

on principle i hate chad kroeger but i have to admit the boy has great tone

I've never understood why all the dislike for Nickelback or Chad Kroeger. :?

when nickleback first came out i kinda dug them.... but as more and more albums came out i just got tired of his sound writing..... then when i heard the 2 nickleback songs dubbed ontop of one another i just lost some respect for them...especially when i think that the overdubbed one sounds better than either song on its own.... its also the wya he carries himself... im sure he's a nice guy and all but he just comes off like an a$$ sometimes.... so maybe the word hate doesnt fit so it should have been on principle i dislike cahd kroger..... but like i said he has some awesome tone

jdurso said:
when nickleback first came out i kinda dug them.... but as more and more albums came out i just got tired of his sound writing..... then when i heard the 2 nickleback songs dubbed ontop of one another i just lost some respect for them...especially when i think that the overdubbed one sounds better than either song on its own.... its also the wya he carries himself... im sure he's a nice guy and all but he just comes off like an a$$ sometimes.... so maybe the word hate doesnt fit so it should have been on principle i dislike cahd kroger..... but like i said he has some awesome tone
+1. I actually saw NickelBack at Fall Festation in San Antonio in '01. They were there with bands like Union Underground, Orgy and Papa Roach, and put on a great show. They had great guitar tone, and a lot of energy. Kroger even climbed one of the light towers - it was pretty cool. Then, I started seeing him doing side/solo projects, producing bands that now sound just like them (Theory of a Deadman, etc.) and they (IMHO) started writing lame tunes. Too bad, because I really liked their first album...

I simply could not find an amp that I was happy with, and heard great things about Mesa amps. I tried out a few DC and Heartbreakers, but didn't like any of them. Then I saw a picture of a Dual Recto and had to have one. Since MusicStop (Halifax, NS) didn't stock many Mesas at the time, I had to order one on blind faith. I got it home, took it out of the box, plugged it in and... HATED IT. :shock: Over the years I've tried a few things to get a tone that I like, but only recently (since finding the BoogieBoard) have I get that **** thing dialed... well, nearly :p

I'm not into metal at all and can't site most of the artists that you guys mentioned.

I've been playing tweed, blackface and blackface style Fender amps for the past 25 years and wanted something different.

I wanted an amp that could get real nasty using only tubes, no diodes or other crap. An amp that I don't need an overdrive or distortion pedal with unless I'm looking to have added flexibility or to create a certain sound.
I also wanted it to be built well and for the company who made it to have better than average customer support.

My Express 5:50 1 x 12 combo completely blew the competition away and cast the same, even less than vastly inferior amps made by Fender and Marshall.

As an added bonus, I got an amp that I can create all kind of sounds on, from jazz, to blues, to hard rock, to noise when I'm in the mood.

Jay22 said:
what two songs overdubbed? I gotta hear this... hahah!

the songs are "how you remind me" and "someday" which at the time was their two biggets hits.... someone recognized they were in the same key, used the same chord progressions, and were structured almost exactly the same (quarter note drum builds before the choruses is the clincher for me)...... anyway the guy got the two songs adjust one of them a notch as far tempo and basically threw one panned left and the other panned right..... and then sent it to howard stern..... this was sort of a big story back in 2003-2004.... anyway i think the overdubbed version actually creates a great song.... the chorus create some great harmonies and the versus feature a cool call and response.... i'll dig it up

here it is haha.... "how you remind me of someday".... so fitting of a name... the chorus sounds so cool this way.... it sounds huge.... and listen in the solo... the yeahs in the back ground fit so perfectly... kroeger would be a genious if he wrote that song (obviously with better planned harmonies) but instead he wrote 2 mainstream decent songs that dont set him apart from the thousands of others that sound like that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbCzGt7S7M4

btw i think i finally understand the someday video.... the dude is dead the whole time... i feel like a sucker... nickleback tricked me.... i demote myself :oops:

my amp was discovered by me for a friend of mine who needed a new amp at a Sam Ash.

I said ... wow look at this Mesa! (Roadking) and my friend bought it. We formed a band together and this friend of mine plugged a Strat into it and it sounded like a Paul! I dug the sounds he got better than my Rivera Knucklehead. FF'd to a few months later.. My friend sells it to me for 3000.00 with a stilleto 4x12. Yep I got taken becausde I thought I was buying a RK II. I plug into the amp and I dig what I heard but my excitment to own the amp. I start the long process of learning how to use the Roadking the hard way. One mistake at a time...

I have had plastic jacks break, I have had tubes go bad, I have had to service this amp 4 times and send it to Mesa for a final checkup. The last service dealt with the JFET and FET's being replaced to clean up inside the amp.

This amp has been a major source of income spent... but I love the way it sounds and I learned the hard way how not to do some things but I now have a good service place that can handle any problem but moreover... I have learned how tempermental the Roadkings can be

I have been through a blues band that failed, a heavy cover band that saw some gigs and 2 garage bands that have died in my garage... I am gearing up for the best band yet in this new project where I could be finally the player with the least talent (thank you Lord!) and the Roadking is exactley what I need right now..

It's tone is what made me decide to pay less attention to knobs and more attention to my fingers... good amp!

Way WAY back in the day, my band organized a show and booked all local bands. Circa 1999, I was still playing a Godin LG through a Peavey Bandit 112 combo and thought it sounded good. Well, this one band wheels in twin Dual Rectifier stacks and when I heard them play, the tone was jaw dropping. It was perfectly tailored through the highs, mids, and lows. The tone was so phat and basically perfect. That day, I didn't care that the ticket price was $5,000 CAD for a halfstack, I fell in love!
Later, I tried a tube Marshall halfstack for the first time and thought it was decent, but nothing special. I saw another Dual Recto show up locally and again, I was totally stunned by the tone. I loved mesa and was in the market for a new Nomad55 head, but I found a blackface Dual Recto used at the same time and picked that up instead. Back in 2000, it went for $1700 used CAD (which worked out to $1,100 USD with the exchange rate) and it was worth every penny.

My lead guitarist is ALL vintage Fender...I wanted to piss him off! LOL!
What started off as a joke ended in a love affair with Mesa tone...

I wanted great clean, crunch and high gain with zero comprimise. I could spend more money and get a Diezel or CAA or a mupltiple amp set up and it still wouldn't be as flexible as my Mark V.

I saw an amazing Journey cover band. The guitar had the most amazing live tone I have ever heard so I snuck up after the show. It was a Triple Rec with the guitar plugged straight in with no effects. That was cool but the one and only thing that made me part with over $2k of my hard earned dough was........
JAYMZ FUKN HETFIELD
:twisted:

at first metallica/every rock band that uses it... then andy timmons :D

but, also that its built like a tank and built in the u.s...

Latest posts

Back