What is the best amp you have ever heard or played?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been through a lot of amps over the last thirty years. My all-time favorites in chronological order would be a '66 Standel Super Artist, a '68 Fender Super Reverb, an 80's Fender Concert and a Mesa Studio preamp.

screamingdaisy said:
The Recto is one of those amps that really likes being loud. I've fought this on and off over the years. Usually because when I finally get used to the quiet tone I'll have a chance to open it up, get used to the punch and power it has a high volumes... then it'll take me weeks before I'm used to the neutered low volume sound again.

It really is two totally different amps when you compare a loud Recto to a quiet Recto.

Yes, I've never understood the 'fizz' comments. I just figured that people dialed them in with the presence cranked but yes, the amp sounds like balls when it is almost off. The sweet spot is between 10:00 to 11:00, absolutely bringing maximum epic balls at 11:00.

The speakers are the missing part of the equation. V30s sound buzzy and stiff at low volumes, they only begin to roar once the amp is pushing sufficient power through them. The trouble is that 'sufficient power' is ear splittingly loud and not neighbour friendly. I found putting a pair of EL-34s in and running the variac on spongy gives more tube growl at slightly above practice volumes but it just isn't as satisfying as cranking the amp and feeling the power!

Diezel VH4 followed VERY closely by the new Multi-watt Dual Rectifier. Both amps have unbelievable clarity at any gain level to my ears.
They are both really flexible and can cover a wide range of sounds (even though I'd just use them for METAL)
I just sat with a "crap"-eating grin on my face that just wouldn't come off while trying out both of these amps (at different times). It was a good feeling.

-AJH

My Mark IV is it for me. However I was at a show a few weeks ago in a 150 person venue and heard a guy play through a Tremoverb and a Dual Recto in stereo with a 4x12 on either side of the stage, un-miced and LOUD. Probably the meanest tone ever.

Played the Sandwich Fair in NH this weekend with My V. This amp is the best thing I have ever played through. Got lots of comps. on the sound. No mics for Me let her rip!!! But thats the key...The amp has a comfort zone...loud...not bedroom not practice not don't wake the neighbors...just plain loud...

Best clean sound? Best lead sound? Best rhythm tone?
At what volume levels? What price range? Need more specificity.

Some new finds:
Egnater Tweaker (15W, 2 6V6s), but only with a greenback or a G12H, but NOT a harsher speaker.
I have the combo with G12H.
Has a Vox/Fender/Marshall switch...awesome in Vox setting with the Greenback, and Marshall with a G12H.
They will be coming out with higher powered Tweakers around Christmas.

Budda Superdrive SD18II; sounds Better with an external cab with Black Shadows than with its internal speaker.
Jazzy warm bright cleans to Voxy breakup, to brown tone and infinite sustain...2xEL84s, a very loud 18 watts.

Mic'ed, either one is loud enough to club with.

By the way, I'm a classic rock guy, not a metal guy...so figure that into my previous post.

The Grail tone for older guys has always been to get Plexi distortion tones at living room volumes,
and have superb cleans in the same amp.

Both of those amps I listed before are different from each other, but they do both those things.
The tone of the guitar comes clear through the amp without being muffled or strangled as in cheaper/poorly
designed amps.

I'd have to say the most impressive amp I've heard would probably have to be the Hiwatt DR series, but they are just too **** expensive. They also aren't nearly as versatile as my Mesa, but they do sound great.

I have a roadster and I have been experimenting with it for a long time now.

Set the Main power output volume to about 4 or 5 then lower your channel 3 gain to about 3 or 4 or whatever your desired volume is in this channel. You'll here a very mean recto sound similar to Mark V I think.

Set the Main power output volume to about 3 then crank your channel 3 gain to about 4 or 5 or whatever your desired volume is in this channel. You'll here a very mean modern high gain.

Set your solo to about a notch before tapping your solo switch, it'll blow your mind.

I installed a bias mod to further explore this amp. I changed the 22k resistor with a bias mod and BAM! what a huge difference. Opened up the full potential of this amp. I am currently using a quad set of High Gain JJ 6L6 from Eurotubes and set preamp kit from Doug's Tube. overall tune = awesomeness.

For me it is still my 2007' Carol-Ann OD2-100 EL34. Everytime I fire up my amp, it makes me grin. I still like a lot of other amps, but this is my holy grail tone... :mrgreen:

Honorable mention:

MKIII non-simul green stripe
SLO
Suhr PT100

JOEY B. said:
fusionbear said:

Pics please , or it does not exist. I have NEVER seen a greenie in any other fomat. :shock:

There is one in the classifieds that is simul-class. I miss my MKIII Green Stripe. To my ears, this is the best sounding Mesa for OD sounds ever. I even prefer it over the MKIIC+

fusionbear said:
JOEY B. said:
fusionbear said:

Pics please , or it does not exist. I have NEVER seen a greenie in any other fomat. :shock:

There is one in the classifieds that is simul-class. I miss my MKIII Green Stripe. To my ears, this is the best sounding Mesa for OD sounds ever. I even prefer it over the MKIIC+

...your post said NON -simul

fishyfishfish said:
LOVE Your demos of the Carrol Ann amps. Is the Revo a more "Metal" amp?

Here is a clip where i try to sound like Andy Timmons (not even close). But the amp sounds pretty good here.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=968347&songID=8506685

There are non-simul versions of the green stripe. I owned one and it is my fav.

P1010138.jpg

P1010137.jpg

mark v hands down, there is nothing out there that can compare. you can play any style of music with absolute distinction. the crown jewel of mesa imho. check out John's opinion on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kOIx7HbhxQ&feature=related

fusionbear said:
There are non-simul versions of the green stripe. I owned one and it is my fav.

Very interesting picture, as it is definately a non-simulclass amp. The one thing that is odd is that it has a capacitor in the C30 slot on the preamp board. My simul green stripe had no capacitor in that position from the factory, and I'm not the only one. Blue and green stripe simulclass amps were made without this capacitor in the circuit. Hmmmm? http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27879&start=45

94Tremoverb said:
My '94 Tremoverb.

There are also many great amps I like that do completely different things that the Tremoverb can't - like my friend's '61 Fender Tweed Deluxe for example...

screamingdaisy: "The Recto is one of those amps that really likes being loud. I've fought this on and off over the years. Usually because when I finally get used to the quiet tone I'll have a chance to open it up, get used to the punch and power it has a high volumes... then it'll take me weeks before I'm used to the neutered low volume sound again."

You may want to get an attenuator. It's still not the same because you don't get the sound of the speakers being driven hard, but it does make quite a difference. I like both the Hot Plate and the Marshall Powerbrake with my Tremoverb.

Wow...+1 all the way. (mine's even a '94 too!)
No amp does everything....but this one is **** close and E-Z to master. Nevermind that though....the real point of it is much sillier> It makes me feel like a God! (& that's pretty cool)

Back