What color tubes did your FIVE come with?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scary

Reaction score
Grey for me. I think they sound pretty good. I got green in my MkIV if memory serves.

Mine came with clear ones, unless they are on.
then they are orange with a blue tint.

lol

wnlively

hey guys i just posted a thread actually inquiring as to what what exactly the color codes meant in terms of overall tube quality. I know they are matching similar tube characteristics together, but is there one that actually has the best overall performance rating or that excells the best with regards to smooth clipping characteristics?
in particular to the str450's

here I found the answer to my own question 8)
http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/What_s_New_/Amplitudes/Tone_Tips/tone_tips.html

According to Mesa ======== Mesa/Boogie tubes have a three letter color code at the base of the tube used to group the tubes into matched pairs. These color codes do not apply to different tonal variation (the number and two letter codes with the color code are Production Batch #'s and Tester's initials respectively).

Any Mesa tested tube is guaranteed to perform tonefully and reliably within the preset bias of the amp, as long as matched pairs are in the appropriate sockets. No fuss, no muss! Just plug and play when it is time to re-tube. Maintain the TONE! Use Genuine MESA Tubes!

surferdeac said:
...is there one that actually has the best overall performance rating or that excells the best with regards to smooth clipping characteristics?
no, because the codes aren't quality but variation in how hot/cold the tubes run.

but according to a Mesa tech, you may find minor differences based on how early or late the different color-coded tubes break up. see this thread, the last post on the page, for a good explanation of the technical side of it by Joey B.

mejoshee said:
fleeced said:

+1
what does that even equate to in bias current? it doesn't really, does it?
The bias current in Mesas is fixed with resistors. Many say the bias is set too "cold", preserving tube life but (perhaps) sacrificing tone. Mesa matches tubes (presumably by measuring the idle plate current draw of the tube) and color codes the sets.

A few board members have measured the idle plate current draw of Mesa tubes. From low draw to high, the color range is Red, Yellow, Green, Gray, Blue, White. Reds have the most headroom while Whites have the earliest breakup/least headroom.

I read somewhere that the V's are shipping with JJ pre-amp tubes

I have the combo so it isn't a two minute job to look ... so ...

Is this true?

In which case a few Mesa standard 12AX7 tubes would smooth things out a lot I guess?

Or a Tung sol would really mellow it out ...

Anyone got any expreience or suggestions? - are they really JJ's?

fleeced said:
I read somewhere that the V's are shipping with JJ pre-amp tubes

I have the combo so it isn't a two minute job to look ... so ...

Is this true?

In which case a few Mesa standard 12AX7 tubes would smooth things out a lot I guess?

Or a Tung sol would really mellow it out ...

Anyone got any expreience or suggestions? - are they really JJ's?
In my experience, Mesa preamp tubes are not very smooth. I've had great results with vintage Tung Sols and Sylvanias in terms of smoothing out the gain in my Mark IV. I also installed a new Mullard 12AT7/CV4024 in the phase inverter of my C+ that really helped tame the beast. The 12AT7 is a lower gain tube, but in the PI it didn't cut the gain very much but made it more musical. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back