What amp could give the Electra Dyne a run for its money!??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, the Dyne is classic rock, blues, and hair metal. The MR is contemporary rock and metal. The MR has a couple extra tricks up its sleeve, and can also be 70s rock and blues. It doesn't have a great clean, though. Passable, but not great. The Dyne has God's own clean.

I am running a wireless (even at home), and have a receiver on each amp. So I can easily switch between them, or play both.

elvis said:
To me, the Dyne is classic rock, blues, and hair metal. The MR is contemporary rock and metal. The MR has a couple extra tricks up its sleeve, and can also be 70s rock and blues. It doesn't have a great clean, though. Passable, but not great. The Dyne has God's own clean.

I am running a wireless (even at home), and have a receiver on each amp. So I can easily switch between them, or play both.

I love the Electradyne and I HATE hair metal. :) My band plays classic rock and mostly 90s rock and grunge.

I got my Cornford Mk50H for less than I paid for the Dyne, but it has no clean channel. Drive side is different than the ED, more gain but less compressed. I would say the drive channels of the Cornford are a little more awesome than the ED, but ED wins for overall versatility and cleans goodness!

elvis said:

Funny thing is I don't play classic rock any longer and I hate hair metal.....but I love the Electradyne! My style is more Alice in Chains meets STP meets Manchester Orchestra meets Linkin Park meets 30 Seconds to Mars meets Matthew Sweet. So what kind of music is that? LOL!

I thought about the Royal Atlantic and a few Orange amps but they have TOO MUCH gain!

Fargen?
Divided By Thirteen?
Budda?
London 65?
Orange?

I am not going to pay what Divides By Thirteen and London 65 want for amps.

Tried out my friend's Cornfords recently in his studio and was not impressed. Way too fizzy like a Soldano or something. Electradyne is smoother, warmer, bigger sounding, more 3D. Better on both sides.

Well I sold my Fargen Olde 800 MKII, I sold my Marshall vintage JCM800, I sold my Egnater Renegade, I sold my Fender Supersonic 22, I'm thinking about selling my Marshall Plexi 1987x but I won't be selling my Electra Dyne any time soon!

Electradyne + EP booster = WOW!

Pretty much. I turn on the Electra Dyne and it a) heats my music room and b) eats up an entire morning.
It is the amp I can't stop playing. I prefer vintage lo with single coils and vintage hi with humbuckers so being able to split coils is amazing.
The Dual Rectifier has been collecting dust for months now.

I will say this. This amp is hands down my favourite amp I have ever played and owned and I'm sure it is poised to become a sought after classic.

Yes, this amp is absolute magic with single coils. Unbelievable. I can't even imagine how awesome P90s would haul in this thing!
Now I have to find a GOdin LG used on Kijiji with the P90s for $250.

Ok I'm gonna throw this one out there.... Friedman Dirty Shirley

Discuss!

I used to think I would like something like a Splawn Nitro or Quickrod more than the ED or RA. But after touring with a Nitro it felt extremely dry and sterile in comparison to the ED and RA, it didn't feel near as dynamic and expressive. Plus, the clean channel on the splawn couldn't compare. After playing Mesas for so long, nothing else feels quite "right".

DWAKO said:
I used to think I would like something like a Splawn Nitro or Quickrod more than the ED or RA. But after touring with a Nitro it felt extremely dry and sterile in comparison to the ED and RA, it didn't feel near as dynamic and expressive. Plus, the clean channel on the splawn couldn't compare. After playing Mesas for so long, nothing else feels quite "right".

I've always had a love / hate affair with Marshalls. I remember when I was out in Vancouver for school and I had stashed my Recto back on the west coast while I was living in Winnipeg. (Right when I joined the boogie board, incidentally) I rented a TSL100 for this outdoor thing and I ran it through a Recto Standard 4 x 12 (My old cab). The tone floored me. I was like "THIS IS THE SOUND I'VE ALWAYS WANTED". I would have traded my Recto for one plus cash but I was really nervous about the build quality.
The long and short of the story is that I was back on the west coast and I fought with my Recto for the whole school year. Right after my Son was born, my family was visiting so I was able to get some time off to go hit up the music store. Posting here made me interested in some other mesa amps and I made the 'mistake' of plugging into an Electra Dyne. After that, it was game over. I pined for one for the better part of about a year before I broke down and acquired one. The 'Dyne had THAT tone I dialed in on the marshall head and Mesa sweetened the deal with a STELLAR clean channel and a low gain option that has the most beautiful soft clip I have ever heard!!

Good luck topping that.

DWAKO said:

I'm glad you posted this as I have a specific question for you as you own both the RA and ED and have played Splawns.

I too own a Dual Rec, Mark V and a couple of other great amps.

I've been looking for something more Marshall-y sounding. I tried a local Stiletto Deuce but think the tubes were worn out, as it didn't sound that good. I then tried the Royal Atlantic. I liked that you could run it as a 2 channel amp, with the clean channel set to slightly crunchy and have a different EQ for the gains sounds. I then played the Electro Dyne, after reading a bunch of posts.

The first thing that struck me as odd was the lack of a Presence control on the RA, but the ED had one. Why did Mesa omit this from the RA? I thought the ED would be flubby/boomy like a Rectifier, but I was able to dial almost all the bass out of the sound. The tone controls are more reactive than I was expecting. I didn't play the RA and the ED in the same building but it seemed to me that I could get a pretty bright tone out of the ED without much trouble so I'm not sure that then RA is a brighter amp, though it may start there where the ED seemed more 'neutral', with a bit more bass in the overall tone - if that makes sense. The one I tested was new, with EL34s installed instead of the typical 6L6 compliment. I'm wondering if that is a major difference that most folks testing these amps with the RA don't get to see, as it is my understanding the ED ships from Mesa with 6L6s, unless ordered differently. Corrrect?

Next I demo'd an older Splawn Quickrod. The lead sounds were great, solo boost great, tones right in your face like a great boosted Marshall. The cleans were drab. It was connected to a JCM900 cab with t75s so I'm sure with a different speaker and possibly new tubes it would have been better. I did notice there wasn't much changing of the basic tone of the amp. Eventhough there are 4 footswitchable gain/volume levels with that amp you are basically getting shades of gray of that sound.

I am feeling that in the long run the ED might be the best fit for me, but I'm still on the fence with if a Splawn with fresh tubes or the RA might be OK for me to. I also read that one of the other posts said if they wanted a Marshall style amp, they'd buy a Stiletto used. There are a bunch of those out there that I could pick up cheaper than an RA, ED or a Splawn. So, maybe buy the ED, find a used Stiletto and get on with my life? I'm not sure if I'm prepaired to give up a good clean channel for a little more gain, (ED to Splawn), or a Presence control for a clean EQ, (ED to RA). AND, there are plenty used EDs out there too.

My question:
Between the RA and ED, is the Shared EQ on the ED a deal-breaker? Can you do almost anything with the ED you could do with the RA? Also, can a gain pedal take the ED up to the RA for lead gain? Close?

I guess the perfect amp might be a 2 channel ED with a solo boost, like the Mark V or Dual Rec 3ch. I like that feature.

YellowJacket said:
DWAKO said:

I've always had a love / hate affair with Marshalls. I remember when I was out in Vancouver for school and I had stashed my Recto back on the west coast while I was living in Winnipeg. (Right when I joined the boogie board, incidentally) I rented a TSL100 for this outdoor thing and I ran it through a Recto Standard 4 x 12 (My old cab). The tone floored me. I was like "THIS IS THE SOUND I'VE ALWAYS WANTED". I would have traded my Recto for one plus cash but I was really nervous about the build quality.
The long and short of the story is that I was back on the west coast and I fought with my Recto for the whole school year. Right after my Son was born, my family was visiting so I was able to get some time off to go hit up the music store. Posting here made me interested in some other mesa amps and I made the 'mistake' of plugging into an Electra Dyne. After that, it was game over. I pined for one for the better part of about a year before I broke down and acquired one. The 'Dyne had THAT tone I dialed in on the marshall head and Mesa sweetened the deal with a STELLAR clean channel and a low gain option that has the most beautiful soft clip I have ever heard!!

Good luck topping that.

I wish I hadn't read this.... :)

Did you ever try a Splawn? and if so, what did you think of it compared to your ED?

thanks,
Steve

Latest posts

Back