Went from Mark V to IIC+ - and I kind of miss the V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbest182

Reaction score
So my first Mark head was the Mark V.. and I loved it.... I bought it really without much knowledge of it, but I knew I wanted a IIC+ sound, but didn't think I could ever actually get a IIC+.. I've had the IIC+ (IIB->C+ conversion) for about 3 months now, I sold my Mark V to fund it... and you know.. I miss my Mark V... I love the IIC+, don't get me wrong.. but I think the V was the amp for me.. I can't put my finger on what it was about it.. but I miss it.. does this make me a bad person? lol

You probably miss that more new school Mark sound eh?
I could see how one would miss it. It's a great amp.
Definitely quite a bit more versatile.

No, that doesn't make you a bad person! Whatever sounds best, works best for you is what you need, regardless of other opinions. I've had most Mesa amps, including a Mark III red stripe, and a Mark IV early edition, which are both supposed to be pretty similar to the II C+, and I like the Mark V by far better than any other amp I've had. I use the II C+ mode in channel 3 for leads, and there's no question that it's the best sound I've ever had. Also, of course the V is so versatile, and the other channels work the best for me too, and I can really use all 3 channels with such easy channel switching access. Granted, I've never had a real II C+, but I can't imagine it actually giving me better tone than I'm getting, and I'd sure miss being able to use 3 channels at will, along with the huge amount of different sounds/feel you can dial up throughout the channels.

Not at all. I have never owned or even played through a MkIIC+. I am sure the IIC+ is a great amp in its own right, but I am very happy with the great tones offered and incredible flexibility of the V! I have owned (and still own) several great sounding amps other than the V, but honestly, the MkV is my preferred amp to date for my needs! :D

If your preferred way to use the IIC+ mode on the Mark V was with the amp in Pentode then you should note that a IIC+ is wired for Triode.

screamingdaisy said:
If your preferred way to use the IIC+ mode on the Mark V was with the amp in Pentode then you should note that a IIC+ is wired for Triode.

that's a huge point that i think people overlook that a lot when they're striving for that mark2c+ signature sound......but, it think it makes one hell of a difference.

the more and more i read and check out about these amps, the more and more im pretty sold on getting myself a mark V. one of my top 5, if not top 3 amps on my list right now.

jmontgomery said:
exbest182 said:
Got another Mark V... Problem solved!

I like the way you think :mrgreen:

I couldn't resist... Traded a Roadster I got in another trade for the Mark V... now i feel whole.. lol

IMAG0098-2.jpg

Man, I'm jealous, best of both Mark Worlds.

By the way just curious about that Mockingbird, how do you like it? I have always been curious about those guitars but never really had an opportunity to try one out.

BrownieD2W said:
Man, I'm jealous, best of both Mark Worlds.

By the way just curious about that Mockingbird, how do you like it? I have always been curious about those guitars but never really had an opportunity to try one out.

I dig the mockingbirds.. i was a Gibson guy for a long time.. and a friend if mine got endorsed by BC Rich and suggested the mockingbird to me.. i always hated bc rich because i had no desire to have a guitar shaped like a weapon of torture.. but he hooked me up with one and i dig them a lot... I have 2 of them the archtop and the exotic.. they come stock with rockfield mafias, neck through design and play great.. it was great right out of the box... And my most favorite thing is my g string stays in tune something i always had an issue with when i played gibsons.

I wouldnt suggest the bolt on neck cheaper mockingbirds... But the archtop, exotic and pro x models are nice.

Great!

BTW....I agree with the response from BluesRock completely regarding the versatility of the V even though the only other Mark series amp I have owned is the MkIV (and still do). Nicely put BluesRock! :D

Hope the V works great for you as well exbest182!

I personally enjoy the Mark V more than I do the Mark IIC+... Don't get me wrong, the IIC+ is a great amp... but since I got another Mark V, I haven't even turned my IIC+ except to do a side by side... now my IIC+ is in need of a tune up, I doubt it's been serviced in the last 25 years... so I'm sure after that and some new tubes, it'll sound better.. but at this point in time the MK V kills it. That's probably not going to be popular concensus but that's my opinion. I hooked it up in triode and dialed it in, and to my ears it sounds pretty **** close to a IIC+ ... might not be exact, but it's by far the closest you'll get without owning one I believe.... I think it's versatility, with 3 usable channels, great cleans, great channel 2 (Mark 1 mode is fantastic) - you literally have every Mark amp (minus the for some reason overlooked Mark III) at your finger tips and more... I don't think there is a much better amp on the market right now that covers all the bases that the Mark V covers, and covers it well! I still plan on using the IIC+ in recording situations, I'm going to pair it up with the Mark V for my overdubs... going for a tone of Mark V in Mark IV mode, and then my Mark IIC+ on top of it... but outside of recording, the V is my go to from now on.. in all honesty, it was a mistake to sell my first one... I'm excited to have both in my collection, I'm hoping to add a Mark III to the stable soon as it's another beast of an amp.... but I'd recommend the V to anybody.. and I do.

I feel about the same as you do about the IIC+. I own one and I play it for a little bit, but I always end up going back to the III+. So, don't feel bad about it. Go with whatever tone works for you.
Also, I finally played a Mark V today in guitar center. I spent a little over an hour with it. I thought it was really close to the IIC+ tone, and the IV setting was was great too. I didn't mess with the cleans much, but they sound better in person than I have saw on the videos. I can understand why you would miss this amp.

I've always felt the Mark III mode of the FIVE is found in Ch 3, Extreme, Pentode. What do you guys think?

Scary said:
I've always felt the Mark III mode of the FIVE is found in Ch 3, Extreme, Pentode. What do you guys think?

My Mark III (Red) was triode and sounded more like the IIC+ mode than the IV mode.... and nothing at all like the extreme mode.

screamingdaisy said:
Scary said:

My Mark III (Red) was triode and sounded more like the IIC+ mode than the IV mode.... and nothing at all like the extreme mode.

My Mark III has the same sound structure as my Mark IIC+ it is just a little more aggressive sounding. The Mark IV extreme mode on the V sounded quite a bit more compressed sounding than the Mark III. I would agree that the IIC+ mode would be the closest to the III tone, at least from what I have heard.

screamingdaisy said:
Scary said:

I agree. My red stripe is closest to the C+ mode, but with more low end chunk and a more aggressive high end.

I actually found the crunch mode to be most similar to my mark iii green stripe, but still very different overall. IMO the mark v just can't get the mark iii sound.

Latest posts

Back