Weak output and random popping sounds (Mark IV)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lerxst88

Reaction score
So I've noticed this problem with my Mark IV ever since I've owned it (a year and a half approximately) where it warms up like a normal tube amp but for another 10 minutes it will hiss and pop (once or twice every 2 to 3 seconds) and the guitar sound would be pretty crappy (low gain, super compressed and solid state sounding with ratty distortion) sounding. After a bit, the popping would lessen and the guitar would sound better and better until everything seemed normal. I played it like this for about a year and did plenty of shows and lots of practices with it and experienced the same weird warm up deal and just learned to live with it.

Recently I moved back home and due to my crazy schedule, it has sat for three weeks) Today I tried playing through it and it never fully heated up. It just sat there sputtering and popping at me with VERY low guitar output.

I swapped all the tubes (pre and power), cleaned tube sockets, and even worked in a few switches that change the power amp circuitry (pentode/triode, class A/Simul, Standby, etc.) just moving them back and forth to work out any possible dust in there. No dice.

So has anyone had this issue and have an answer or at least a clever guess?

Just in case anyone is following this, amp is now in the shop. Should know whats up with it in 2-3 weeks :?

Dang sorry to hear. To answer your question, late sadly, i've had that happen to a MKIV before. It had to go to the shop. Turned out to be a problem with some electrical components inside. So you did the right thing in getting it to the shop. I don't think any of us could have offered any advice other than that.

Peace,
Joshua

Did you ever get this figured out?
I just picked up a super early Mark IVa combo that has a very similar problem.

I don't seem to have a loss in power, but it definitely sputters and crackles.

I have the same problem with my early 90's faun tolex mkiv. I have switched amps to my 1963 vox AC30 for the time being, but I am desperate to sort this out. The amp has had the same problem since purchased from ebay 5 years ago. Sometimes it sounds great, but more often it sounds thin and brittle on all channels. Substituting tubes fails to sort out the problem. Bias voltages and HT voltages seem stable and correct. Mains filter caps have been changed and tube sockets cleaned. Any ideas??

Hope this helps....
The sputtering and crackling in mine ended up being dirty power tube sockets.
This is the 1st thing I looked at. I had cleaned and re-tensioned them when I first got the amp, but apparently, they needed more cleaning.
I finally got frustrated and cleaned them again. All of my problems went away.

Back