Warming up your amp before playing....?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResearchTriangle

Reaction score
How long do you guys usually let your amp warm up before flicking out of standby mode? Lately I haven't been completely happy with the sound from my 3 channel triple rectifier, but it seems like if I let it warm up for a good 20 minutes, the sound improves alot. Any thoughts?

I let my RKII warm up for about 30sec to 1min before flicking the standby switch.

I strum a chord then turn it on :lol:

Okay, kidding...

how long? How long does it take me to get from the switch to my pick? :lol:

Fine, seriously, I turn it on, grab the guitar, tune it up, do a few finger exercises, then rock. What's that? I'd say 2 minutes.

It takes about a minute or so to be fully warm if your tubes are relatively fresh. Any longer will indicate that your tubes are getting worn or that your tube heater circuit needs attention though this may also indicate that your voltage isn't up to snuff.

First I would tune the guitar. Then provided your amp is plugged in, I would plug a speaker cable into the output jack on the back of your amp and input jack of the speaker cab or check your cabling and impedance, plug in your instrument cable into both guitar and amp, turn your amp on in standby, prepare your playing area (location of effects, battery checks, location of mics for cabinet and vocals- if any, check your midi footswitch programming- if any, etc.), strap into your guitar, check to make sure your volume and tone knobs are spinning smoothly then place your tone knob where you like it and zero your guitar volume. Then with pick in hand, take your amp out of standby. Roll your guitar volume up to where you want it and play something arbitrarily (an open chord is good for this)to ensure that everything is functioning while slowly bringing your amp volume (master if so equipped) up to a good working volume for where you are playing unless you have already soundchecked for the venue then just use the guitar volume to bring the amp up slowly and leave the amp volume where it is.

This process should be pretty reliable for having your whole rig setup and running properly and will not really annoy anyone in the process. If you are not going to play immediately continue your sound check and then leave the amp in standby if you will play within an hour or so. If your slot is later then maybe power to standby between sets if you intend to leave your rig on stage. Your actual setup procedure may vary depending upon the level at which you can leave your rig setup between sets. Obviously if you open you can do whatever you need to then just leave your amp in standby from a few minutes til showtime. Some guys leave their rig on from just before doors if they open. I would suggest powering to standby while the prior act is tearing down provided the stage supports it if you are not the opener.

If you are just playing at home with everything already setup then power to standby after: double checking your speaker cable connections, impedance, and instrument cabling. Once in standby: Check your batteries, power supplies, midi switching, etc., strap in unless you intend to remain seated, check your guitar settings and knob functions, get your pick ready, bring your amp out of standby slowly with your guitar volume knob.

The reason that I suggest bringing your amp up slowly even with warmed tubes is that it is less of a shock to your tubes for an initial use. It may or may not have any real consequence if you don't but it has never hurt and this is the way I have always brought an amp up and out of standby.

I have only ever had one issue and that was because the person I was teching for at the time had some pretty worn tubes and they actually failed. It was just a simple preamp tube but we just ran a backup for the show and everything was fine. The next day while we were troubleshooting the amp, I found the faulty preamp tube and everything was fine after replacing it.

Other than that one incident I have never had a tranny blow or tubes fail from incorrect loading, effects incorrectly routed, batteries fail during a show, power issues, amps catch fire, awkward body positioning to use mics set at wrong height for the user, bad pa sound due to incorrectly aimed mics, etc. This is not to say things don't happen like tripped on cords unplugging or mic stands getting bashed then having to reposition a mic. I have even had an amp topple and managed to restack it while the show went on.

I guess all that wasn't necessary but thought I would back up the thought of a minute or two minimum wait time in standby. I have been caught taking an amp out of standby though at home within 30 seconds though. Sometimes you have something in your head and have to play it immediately or you lose it. I wouldn't suggest taking your amp out of standby with this short of a warmup regularly but if you absolutely must try not to make a habit of it.

I have heard my own tubes sound better with longer wait times but like I said it was usually when the tubes were pretty worn or on their way out.

I can tell you that if you come out of standby too early you will have to wait a little anyway until your tubes are warm enough to make sound. This has an interesting effect on your sound too. It sounds like it is ramping up until it reaches the apex which is where your volume and gain are. If you come out too early you blow a fuse. Either way you shorten the life of your tubes. Just wait a minute if you can.

With regards to your unhappiness with your sound and the having to wait 20 minutes before your amp sounds good....

RETUBE!!!!

It is obvious that your tubes are not heating up fast enough. They will more than likely fail soon and damage your amp. Tubes are cheaper than amplifiers. Buy some new tubes before you have to buy a new amplifier. Maybe have your amp looked over too because the voltage to the heater filament may not be right and it may be taking longer for your tubes to heat up to operating temps.

Some older vintage amps have tendencies towards longer warmup times in standby. This is because the amps are older and chances are the tubes are older as well thus compounding the issue. These amps are in need of repair whether it is just a simple retube or more serious repair such as the electronics within the chassis and it is probably the owner not wanting to detract from the mojo of the amp nor "the" tone it is getting. Trust me, maintain your amp. You will be much happier. It is sometimes a certain tone that a failing amp is getting that someone is looking for but in the longrun it will not be something that can be reproduced once it fails completely. Some of those old vintage amps never sound the same after something as simple as a cap change. Obviously a tube change causes a change in sound too, but that is to be expected.

It is funny how much someone will pay for an amp that has all the original caps and resistors with all the electronic components intact from the 60's. Then they talk about how bad a new amp sounds when in fact the old amp design is used for a new production model. What they don't understand is that the old amp sounded like the new one 40 years ago. It is just the parts getting old and having a certain characteristic to them as they are failing in the vintage piece. Though this is not to say that there were not variances in tolerances of say a transformer in even the same production run.

The other thing is--I like to let my amp cool down as much as possible before MOVING it. My understanding is that when the amp and tubes are HOT, you don't want to be banging those filaments around until they've cooled off a bit.

I try to let my amp completely cool before I load it in the car.

Bill

That is very good Bill....

Unfortunately sometimes when time is your enemy- at a gig. You have to give up the stage space if you are not the headliner. This means your gear has to be moved before it can completely cool down. If this is the case then I would suggest being as careful as possible not to jar or bang your equipment around. This includes dropping it and shoving it around. If you must move it handle it delicately for about 1/2 an hour or even hang out with it offstage/outside if you can letting it cool further before you load out into your vehicle. This will allow your tubes to cool enough to handle transportation. Always handcarry your amp vice letting it ride on your cabinet or rolling it on it's casters. If necessary have someone help you so you don't damage your tubes while they are still hot.

Russ said:
strap into your guitar

:lol: like it's a fighter jet or something?

Anyway, my tubes are fairly new, so I guess it's just my imagination. I actually think my new improved tone may be due to the new phaser I stuck in my signal path, it seems to take out some mud and add some highs which my tone desperately needed

ResearchTriangle said:
How long do you guys usually let your amp warm up before flicking out of standby mode?

The owner's manual says thirty seconds...they ought to know. And it sounds like you DO need a retube!

About 1 to 2 minutes. If I am leaving an amp for more than 10 minutes I shut the thing off and then warm up the amp on standby for a minute later when I come back..

If I'm at practice - I'll leave it on for about 5 mins before flicking the switch. If it's a gig 15 - 20 minutes.

I usually fire it up and let the tubes heat while I am still getting other stuff ready.

I get to practice.
Turn on amp.
Unpack guitars.
Check tuning on guitars.
Have a beer outside with rest of band.
Come inside and try to write my retireman plan.

Back