Using an EQ in my rack??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennie

Reaction score
HEy all, I have never used an EQ in my set up and am now exploring with it. I'm running a Lexicon MPX G2 with my triaxis in the "Insert" loop of the Lexicon. I have put a boss stomp EQ between the main outs on the Lexicon and my power amp. The result is great! I am considering getting a stereo EQ to further explore this. I am assuming that this is standard operation for a lot of you?? So my two questions are 1) am I on the right track and, 2) Is there a preferred EQ for guitar players in this application?

Thanks Ben

I've just found a TC 1128 rack which I can recommend highly. These were early 90's units and were very expensive when they were new. Midi controllable and with a full 28 band EQ & Spectrum Analyser.
It's mono but can be run with the 1128x (expander) for true stereo use.
But, as I'll be using it in the Triaxis loop, with and before a G Major 2, my EQ'd signal will appear at both the 2:90 outputs.
This really is a fine unit with a great deal of possibilities.

Regards
Lyn

I would only ever buy an EQ with MIDI control. I would hate to have to find a global setting that worked for all my sounds. If you use MIDI for everything else, I would consider MIDI to be a minimum requirement otherwise it's not flexible enough to match your other gear.

You are definitely on the right track. Having specifically a midi controlled EQ opens up all the possibilities in the world for tone shaping.

I really dig having one (my "brand"). I don't even technically need a lead boost anymore, just a mid-bumped eq setting. works perfect. I now make a 7-band version (still semi-beta), but 5 bands is ample for my needs...

Thanks for the help all. The midi EQ makes total sense, I was thinking along the same lines. The other question I would have is.. where do you like it in the line up? Do I see, correctly,a few options and pro/cons for more than one scenario?

Bennie said:
where do you like it in the line up? Do I see, correctly,a few options and pro/cons for more than one scenario?
If I understand your question: Last effect in the effects loop.

kiff said:
Bennie said:
where do you like it in the line up? Do I see, correctly,a few options and pro/cons for more than one scenario?
If I understand your question: Last effect in the effects loop.
First or last...they both offer something different.

Kiff the list on your reply;

Humphrey Audio CS3
R/M Chandler Tube Driver
Wampler Triple Wreck
Studio Pre
Recto Pre
2120 Pre
EQ's
G-Major
20/20
50/50

is this your signal chain. More specifically are you stacking all those pre-amps on top of one another? Forgive me if this is a gumbie question, I have been playing for years however I am just now starting to get more involved in my tone. I'm not familiar with stacking pre-amps in that way, if that is how your set ups runs.

Bennie said:
Kiff the list on your reply;

Humphrey Audio CS3
R/M Chandler Tube Driver
Wampler Triple Wreck
Studio Pre
Recto Pre
2120 Pre
EQ's
G-Major
20/20
50/50

is this your signal chain. More specifically are you stacking all those pre-amps on top of one another? Forgive me if this is a gumbie question, I have been playing for years however I am just now starting to get more involved in my tone. I'm not familiar with stacking pre-amps in that way, if that is how your set ups runs.

It depends on the gig really, it's actually far more simple that it seems. Most of the time the Studio is used for lead and clean, the Recto for Ryh, both running through the G-Major & 50/50 via a line mixer & GCX. The 2120 & 20/20 runs separately as a 3rd ch. (kinda like a dry, only not so, backing center ch.) Other times for really heavy stuff I just run studio/recto (L&R) and it's HUGE.

Latest posts

Back