Upgraded my MKV - tan grille

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldschool

Reaction score
Just wanted to show you the new look on my MKV head. I originally ordered it with this tan grille, but it came with the gold one, So I had Mesa send me the correct grille, plus a tan grille for one of my 2x12 Recto cabs.

MKV_Tan.jpg

i almost ordered that color combo... but was gonna get the tan corners as well (i think that makes it even more 'snazzy' looking) but ultimatly decided to go with something that stands out more... (now im kinda glad too.. cause i dont want the same looking amp as everyone else) although im sure my color combo is out there, its certainly not unique, i just don't recall pics of it yet... (its only been two weeks since i ordered so i got a long time to wait)

Oldschool said:
Spewnz said:
wow looks nice brings a good character to the amp

I really like it, looks a bit more "classic" than the all black version...

the black is definitely "classic" in its own way, but yeah, i'm with you. it makes it look "retro" even though it's not that retro. idk for some reason the lighter, "blondie" type grilles appeal to me. marilyn monroe was right...

congrats on the grille! 8)

I wonder if they would send out the wicker cane grill? That would look pretty cool too ...

litesnsirens said:
I wonder if they would send out the wicker cane grill? That would look pretty cool too ...

it's also easy to just make your own. i have done this myself. i have no idea how much the plywood would cost these days (i guess you just get a scrap piece) and the wicker can be had for less than $10 after shipping. you need to get the piping from some place like mojo musical. grab your staple gun and switch it out. very easy. takes an hour or less if you have the materials all ready. how much does mesa charge for the substitution? too much. but it's mesa.

tolex is also fairly easy to replace if you're patient and relatively competant.

I just got a mark V head with gold grille cloth . I always get the same color so all my mesa stuff matches . heres a pic of my old RK rig with the same grille

DSC00673.jpg

That looks awesome!

I've got my own grill planned out in the next few weeks. I just received some white crocodile print leather (cow hide or course) on Ebay. I'll be building a new grill with the white leather, as my cab is a 2x12 vertical I built myself and covered in white vinyl. I'll eventually build a new head shell for the Mark V and cover it with the croc. leather and put a black diamond plate face plate. I want to wait a few more months to make sure my Mark V has no issues.

Here are my MKV and MKIIC+ with a tan grill. I went with the black piping.

Man, those tan grills look nice on your cab. I wish I could put that color on my cabs.

I like the gold grill cloth too, looks great with black cabs.

ampsandeffects009.jpg

Jacko123 said:
That looks awesome!

I've got my own grill planned out in the next few weeks. I just received some white crocodile print leather (cow hide or course) on Ebay. I'll be building a new grill with the white leather, as my cab is a 2x12 vertical I built myself and covered in white vinyl. I'll eventually build a new head shell for the Mark V and cover it with the croc. leather and put a black diamond plate face plate. I want to wait a few more months to make sure my Mark V has no issues.

Sounds good! Put up some pics when your done.

I just called boogie to price a wicker grill for my V combo and my Vertical 2x12 cab. $169 for the combo grill and $219 for the vert grill.

Jim Ed Love said:
Here are my MKV and MKIIC+ with a tan grill. I went with the black piping.

Man, those tan grills look nice on your cab. I wish I could put that color on my cabs.

I like the gold grill cloth too, looks great with black cabs.

ampsandeffects009.jpg

:shock:

Way to steal the show.

Oldschool said:
Just wanted to show you the new look on my MKV head. I originally ordered it with this tan grille, but it came with the gold one, So I had Mesa send me the correct grille, plus a tan grille for one of my 2x12 Recto cabs.

MKV_Tan.jpg

Beautiful man, beautiful.

Hi gang, I did my own custom grille yesterday afternoon:

whitemesa1.jpg

whitemesa2.jpg

I bought some leather on Ebay a month ago since I plan on building a new shell for the head and covering it in white croc. leather (cow hide). The hide only cost me like $30 + shipping. I won't be building the shell for 3-4 months to make sure I have no issues with the head. I felt like making this Mark V "my own" and to match the cabinet I built just before getting the Mark V (covered in Vinyl, not leather).

The front grille was pretty easy to do. I used a piece of 3/4" plywood leftover from my cab build. Routed the top edge with a 1/2 corner bit, then cut it to size to match the existing grille. Glued the hide on it. Then I stapled black piping ($1.99 for 7" from a fabric store!) around it. Used the existing grille for a template to drill holes and attached the existing tag. It looks pretty neat.

When I build the shell and cover it with the white leather, I'll probably build a new grille, but this time with a black diamond plate.

This is a pretty easy project if you have a few tools and you can really customize your Mark V to make it unique. If you want to sell it later, just put the existing grille back on it.

Jacko123 said:

whitemesa1.jpg

whitemesa2.jpg

I bought some leather on Ebay a month ago since I plan on building a new shell for the head and covering it in white croc. leather (cow hide). The hide only cost me like $30 + shipping. I won't be building the shell for 3-4 months to make sure I have no issues with the head. I felt like making this Mark V "my own" and to match the cabinet I built just before getting the Mark V (covered in Vinyl, not leather).

The front grille was pretty easy to do. I used a piece of 3/4" plywood leftover from my cab build. Routed the top edge with a 1/2 corner bit, then cut it to size to match the existing grille. Glued the hide on it. Then I stapled black piping ($1.99 for 7" from a fabric store!) around it. Used the existing grille for a template to drill holes and attached the existing tag. It looks pretty neat.

When I build the shell and cover it with the white leather, I'll probably build a new grille, but this time with a black diamond plate.

This is a pretty easy project if you have a few tools and you can really customize your Mark V to make it unique. If you want to sell it later, just put the existing grille back on it.

TITS!!!!!

Jacko123 said:

whitemesa1.jpg

whitemesa2.jpg

The contrasts you have going there look pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back