Anyone know this grille jute?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electric mayhem

Reaction score
Does anybody know the name for this DC era grille jute?

I see plenty of black/tan and black/gold jute but if anyone knows what this is called from experience I would appreciate it.
It has two black horizontal strands to one vertical tan/gold.

I am thinking it is the grill I'd like to use with the LS classic blue color which I think is Navy Bronco tolex.

My superimpose is not the greatest but it gives the idea of what I'm looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_5507.JPG
    IMG_5507.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5506.JPG
    IMG_5506.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 0
  • blueLS2.1.jpg
    blueLS2.1.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 0
Following....

Hmm so it appears they used a few different types of gold grille cloth over the years. The Ace cab below seems to be more like the LS cab, no black strands. I did search around to find a matching material for it but had no luck. Mesa said they didn't have it anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_7358.JPG
    IMG_7358.JPG
    356.8 KB · Views: 0
Does anybody know the name for this DC era grille jute?

I see plenty of black/tan and black/gold jute but if anyone knows what this is called from experience I would appreciate it.
It has two black horizontal strands to one vertical tan/gold.

I am thinking it is the grill I'd like to use with the LS classic blue color which I think is Navy Bronco tolex.

My superimpose is not the greatest but it gives the idea of what I'm looking for.
Because of the diagonals in the weave that looks more like a tweed used to cover amplifiers more than it looks like jute. Most grill cloth materials have no diagonals to them at all. The closest actual grill cloth with similar diagonals I can find is this Fender style brown, but that definitely not it.

https://www.mojotone.com/Fender-Style-Old-Brown-Grill-Cloth-53-W

Following....

Hmm so it appears they used a few different types of gold grille cloth over the years. The Ace cab below seems to be more like the LS cab, no black strands. I did search around to find a matching material for it but had no luck. Mesa said they didn't have it anymore.
I have a LS 2x12 in that emerald and like it. I wonder if mesa ever listed grill colors.

Because of the diagonals in the weave that looks more like a tweed used to cover amplifiers more than it looks like jute. Most grill cloth materials have no diagonals to them at all. The closest actual grill cloth with similar diagonals I can find is this Fender style brown, but that definitely not it.

My eyes on that fender aren't good enough to see the weave but there is a definite diagonal effect on the eyes with these DC's even tho the weave is 2 : 1 horizontal black to vertical tan/gold.

And is this the same jute as seen on many tremoverbs? If so I'm going to kick myself passing up a local 1/2 stack of one with that grill cheap enough that I should already be kicking myself.

I have a LS 2x12 in that emerald and like it. I wonder if mesa ever listed grill colors.
Cool... don't see the LS in Emerald very often.

I moved my Ace chassis to a currently unfinished headshell, use the combo as a standalone cab with an MC-90. First was thinking about matching the head up to the combo cab but can't find the grill cloth. Mojotone said they didn't have an exact match either. Kinda given up on matching and don't want to redo everything.

Cool... don't see the LS in Emerald very often.

I moved my Ace chassis to a currently unfinished headshell, use the combo as a standalone cab with an MC-90. First was thinking about matching the head up to the combo cab but can't find the grill cloth. Mojotone said they didn't have an exact match either. Kinda given up on matching and don't want to redo everything.
Bummer on the jute availability. Just like this black and blue tuarus I really like.

The LS 2x12 is just a open back cab, not the amp. I loaded it with golds. It seems there was a fair amount of emerald LS cabs out there.

The cream and black jute seems similar to the Marshall salt and pepper. In fact I'm having trouble finding anything like this that is not of a standard weave like both of those and seemingly all are.

Those standard weaves give me a X pattern visual diffusion. The weave I'm looking for pulls my eye diagonally.

The diagonal effect is done by every black weave goes under 2, over 2 as opposed to the standard cross weave or what ever you call it.

I pulled this from a site that no one should ever sell on and it is the exact match to the pristine half stack that sold locally. A super zoom shows the same 2 under, 2 over pattern. Unless you're one of those 2 over, 2 under people. Either way. I'm going to go kick myself now.

Attachments

• tremo_cleve.jpg
    tremo_cleve.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 0

This one might have the same weave if not color but I can't blow it up clear enough for my eyes.

https://legacy.mesaboogie.com/design-gallery/swatch-gallery.html#all-swatches-grille-coverings
I would almost guess it is the black/cream jute. If they had black/tan at one point, I am not sure of that. I thought they did at one point but my memory is not what it used to be.

This is the black/tan jute grill color. The cab on the left is new, the cab on the right is older by a few years. They are of different dye lots. Not sure if the new one will darken up a bit after it collects the dust particles in the air.

20230729_173417.jpg

https://legacy.mesaboogie.com/design-gallery/swatch-gallery.html#all-swatches-grille-coverings
I would almost guess it is the black/cream jute. If they had black/tan at one point, I am not sure of that. I thought they did at one point but my memory is not what it used to be.

This is the black/tan jute grill color. The cab on the left is new, the cab on the right is older by a few years. They are of different dye lots. Not sure if the new one will darken up a bit after it collects the dust particles in the air.

View attachment 2951
Those appear to be like the salt and pepper style with pairs of black jute spaced closer giving it just a little different look.

I think DrKev may be on to something with a Fender grill in one regard.

This jute weave may have been Mesa's answer to the Tremolux. Here's a pic of a original Tremolux that came up for sale today and while it's not the same as a Tremoverb you can tell the tan grilled Tremoverbs emulate this Fender look.

If this theory is correct it is bad news with a silver lining. Bad news because it may have been a special order jute for the Tremoverb which coincided with the DC's time wise and theoretically could have shown up on late Mark III's and the early IV's. But I don't see them.

I think it is the same jute on the black taurus dressed stiletto ace. The silver lining is that there are 4x12's sold with the tremo's with this jute. Just like the one i kicked myself for not getting.

I believe that's it so if anyone has any old sales lit for the ace and tremo does it say what jute that is?

The original tremo:

Attachments

• tremolux.jpg
    tremolux.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 0
If it is the gold jute, I do not believe Mesa offers that anymore. The tan jute would be the closest thing but yet different. I was just sharing what I have that may be similar but I know it is not the same as many others have jumped in on this too. I hope you find what you are looking for.

I'm a believer in the tremoverb theory which means this is a one off unobtanium. I've asked Kris D but unless they have a partial roll around that fell behind a counter for a couple decades I'm up the creek without a paddle on this one. Id be surprised if there are more than one, two or maybe three grill cloth makers out there. Mmmmm, makers....

Some day none too soon I'll call Kayline and see if they'll make me a full roll of the black and blue taurus and whoever for a role of this black/tan weave. I'd really love at least a full stack of both trad and OS like my mini DC stack and a dozen head cabs, etc.

While we are on the topic, Bandit, do you know the name of the cloth on your RA's? Did you have a 4x12 in that cloth? I had 2 heads but still have one- great amp. Is that what's in your pic?

Last edited:
Are you referring to this one? It is the standard grey/black jute. I ordered the cab after they discontinued the amp model. Sweetwater was selling a matching standard 412 cab but they had none so it cost me a bit more than normal to get it. To date, it is my favorite amp/cab pairing. What I like about the grey/black or cream/black jute grill cloth, you cannot see through it due to the light reflection from the lighter shades of weave when using a flash on the camera like you can with the black jute.

20200719_090903.jpg

Are you referring to this one? It is the standard grey/black jute. I ordered the cab after they discontinued the amp model. Sweetwater was selling a matching standard 412 cab but they had none so it cost me a bit more than normal to get it. To date, it is my favorite amp/cab pairing. What I like about the grey/black or cream/black jute grill cloth, you cannot see through it due to the light reflection from the lighter shades of weave when using a flash on the camera like you can with the black jute.

View attachment 2956
Yes, I like that and need to keep an eye out for one of those cabs.

Back