Metal grill 2x12 vertical cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcornTheory

Reaction score
New member here! I just got a MK IV rack mount with a vertical 2x12 half back cab with metal grill. Is there a common name or shorthand for these cabs? Any thoughts or opinions on them? Mine has the VS12 in the bottom and C90 in the top. Sounds great but I'm thinking of putting an EVM12L in the bottom, and curious for suggestions for the top. I'm not a metal player per se, but love what the MK IV can do in that dept. Looking for warm and clear cleans that won't stand too far apart from the EVM, nice crunch for channel 2 ( 80's, Judas Priest) and a Santana type pure clear lead tone. I shy away from Celestion because to me they sound hairy for leads rather than smooth and glassy, though I have a cream alnico in my LSS which is really nice. I've considered the Tone Tubby red alnico for its lead tone, but worried it won't mesh with the EVM. Also Altec 417, but the aluminum dome probably won't do the high gain rhythm too well. I just want it all :lol:
I understand power rating and sensitivity matching. Interested in any thoughts on this cab and speaker mixing suggestions. I've had a hard time finding anybody particularly enthused about any speaker to pair with the EVM. Thanks!

AT

I only have an IR of a Mesa Half Back. Just got it last week. No in-the-room experience. I believe the HB’s commonly came with an EVM in the sealed bottom and a C90 in the open top.

Cool thanks. I figured out that if I search "halfback" as one word I get all the results I need!

AT

Back