Updated Lone Star - Class A beauty

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottkahn

Reaction score
For those of you who missed this subtle update behind the noise of the new Boogie Express, the Lone Star Classic was upgraded to have a third mode of operation -- two power tubes generating 10 Watts of Class A power, in addition to the 25w and 50w Class A/B modes.

Scott
P.S. Our complete NAMM coverage is now online.

Thanks Scott. Enjoyed it! I'm glad Tom Anderson is back! I guess I'll have to wait for the new LS to in the used market - the price on it has gone up, and with a new feature who knows what it cost now.

Glad you enjoyed the NAMM Report!

The Lone Star's current/new pricing is:

Head - $1599
1x12 combo - $1699
2x12 combo - $1799
4x10 combo - $1849

enigma said:
the price on it has gone up, and with a new feature who knows what it cost now.

Actually the 2007 Price is the same as the 2006...so no increase yet. But it may change when the next price sheet comes out in Juy 07'

Scott,

Did you play the LoneStar? How did it sound with the 10 watt setting? I have the LSC but man, it would be nice to play 10 watts at home so I am not killing everybody by cranking it.

No -- Mesa/Boogie isn't really set up at NAMM to play through their amps as a general rule -- they've gotten into trouble with the NAMM "noise police" in the past, and my time talking with those guys didn't leave me an opportunity to hear one plugged in :-(.

Has anyone tried the new LSC in the 10 watt setting? Just curious to know how this alters the sound quality and if it will help yield playable home volumes for recording, etc. Thanks!

I called Mesa to see if they would do the mods to older LoneStars. Unfortunately, no. You want 10 watts class A, you have to buy a new LoneStar. I figured it was worth a shot.

I called 'em, too. Same thing.

My LSC still kicks butt.

Rig.jpg

Mesa is making a good case for buying their amps used, aren't they? Instead of providing a fix for the "too dark" lead channel, they instead obsoleted the amp and left the owners holding the bag. Great. :(

You can't retrofit an amp and just simply add pure class A capabilities. It requires a new circuit board and new signal paths throughout. Just like the Road King went through a serious revision to become RK II, hey, at least Mesa/Boogie continually upgrades and improves their amps. Any other boutique company would do the same thing -- continual refinements of products is normal.

So, on one hand, it might be a bummer that some folks don't have the new capabilities, but it doesn't make your existing Lone Star sound any less amazing.

Love the one you're with :).

Scott

I still love the LoneStar and I am glad to see Mesa improving it. Maybe this will make the case for an LSS! (probably not)

Latest posts

Back