Express Plus - Mesa Boogie's Sleeper Amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, this is my first post. I joined based on a recommendation from a guy on the Carvin/Kiesel boards. I just got my Express 5/25+ this week and really like it. I waited four months as the factory was swamped.

I would post some pics, but it looks like this is an older site and only allows bbcode and you can't insert pics directly.

Welcome to the forum mufasa and congratulations on your new 5:25+! :mrgreen:

mufasa said:
Hi guys, this is my first post. I joined based on a recommendation from a guy on the Carvin/Kiesel boards. I just got my Express 5/25+ this week and really like it. I waited four months as the factory was swamped.

I would post some pics, but it looks like this is an older site and only allows bbcode and you can't insert pics directly.

Inserting pics is supported on the board. You just need to format:

Rumy73 said:
For low volume, I bring the faders well below the halfway mark. It is like an "attenuation" amd keep my volume in the same position for band playing.

That acts like a "volume box". I ran an actual attenuator, a THD on on my Blues Deluxe and it was a hassle to use and carry and cost $350. It runs after the power amp and into the speakers. It also sucked tone at the attenuation I need to use and didn't really get me to that tube saturation level, the BDRI is LOUD. The real problem with BDRI was the curve on the volume knob meant it went form 0 - Full Blast between 0 and 4 on the volume and was VERY touchy trying to set low volume playing. I bought a $10 volume box which you run through the effects loop merely as a pot running to ground so you can lower your signal between the pre-amp and the power amp which in effect you are doing with the sliders. This enabled me to turn up the master volume, which is just another pot before the power amp inputs and make it less sensitive to changes because I was running a lower signal into that pot the power amp. In the end the power amp was seeing the same signal. To get more power in into the speakers at less volume THAT does take an attenuator on the power output side of the power amp to soak up some of the power.

I rarely run the Masters on my Mesa above 9-10 at 25 watts in clubs it is LOUD but the Masters are pretty smooth or you can do like you do with the sliders and turn it down there and get more usable range on the Masters.

Hi all. Another happy 5:25+ owner here (head w/ 1x12 Lonestar cab).
I'd like to point out another great feature of the 5:25+ that many other popular Mesa amps cant touch: the gorgeous, sweet and nuanced tone of the single-ended 5 watt setting.

I spend most of my time at 5 watts which is plenty loud for home. As a result, I've found I much prefer that touch-sensitive, single-ended 5w sizzle over the girthier sound of the 15 and 25 watt settings.

The Mini-Rec and Mark V:25 are great, and portable, but neither one offers the single-ended bliss of that 5 watt setting. It's one more reason the 5:25+ is the perfect amp for me.

suede11 said:
Hi all. Another happy 5:25+ owner here (head w/ 1x12 Lonestar cab).
I'd like to point out another great feature of the 5:25+ that many other popular Mesa amps cant touch: the gorgeous, sweet and nuanced tone of the single-ended 5 watt setting.

I spend most of my time at 5 watts which is plenty loud for home. As a result, I've found I much prefer that touch-sensitive, single-ended 5w sizzle over the girthier sound of the 15 and 25 watt settings.

The Mini-Rec and Mark V:25 are great, and portable, but neither one offers the single-ended bliss of that 5 watt setting. It's one more reason the 5:25+ is the perfect amp for me.

Blues channel at 5 watts with some gain to fatten it up a little is killer.

I agree suede11 and stinger....there are indeed some beautiful sound offerings in ALL MODES set to 5w! :mrgreen:
I find the 5w setting to be especially pleasing when playing alone at home.
However, when I am playing with my band.....the power switch quickly changes to 15 or 25w modes and the GEQ gets engaged for high gain crunch and solo sounds!
Fantastic, versatile amplifier IMO! :mrgreen:

Back