Tweed function....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar99

Reaction score
Can someone explain the tweed function on my LSC? I dont have the original manual, and Id rather hear from some net'xperts on their take...
Thanks in advance...

The following is a quote from the manual. Mesa has the manuals for the various amps on their website.
I like the tweed setting when in 10 watt Class A mode.

"This sideways 3 position toggle switch determines the status of the incoming AC power. Your LONE STAR incorporates a built-in VARIAC feature that enables you to reduce the line voltage to approximately 93 volts (with a steady 117 at the wall). This TWEED power setting produces a spongier, scoopier response and allows you to power clip the amplifier at lower overall volumes. It is especially useful in achieving old school clip sounds in Channel 1 and Channel 2 with the DRIVE bypassed."

Assuming the effective internal resistance is relatively constant, 93V will drop the maximum power output down almost 40%. Completely different feel, though - as the manual says.
One of my favorite settings involves running channel 1 all the way up at 50W with tweed power. With EL34's, it gets real close to a 50W plexi.

Latest posts

Back