Tubes for a Trem-O-Verb - need advice!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakehop

Reaction score
Hello again everyone,

I borrowed the TOV from my friend, and I am NOT disapointed! Very cool amplifier, and as everyone here told me, every feature is useable! I've been wondering about which tubes you guys use in your Mesa's?

I've been a major tubegeek for some years, since I started using the Super Reverbs and the Super Leads, but as I found out when I read the manual and checked the schematics, the amp's bias isn't adjustable. It has it's pro's and con's, but I think I'll live with it. I've looked around for different tubes, and my supplier sells either Mesa 425's or 440's. However, I belive that Watford Valves here in Europe can provide me with the unbranded versions of the Mesa-tubes I need, at the correct bias-level. Especially the STR-454 sounds very good, and I was very fond of the Winged C EL34's for my Marshall. http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1814 - I'll send him a mail to see if that's possible.

In the preamp I've heard that some people are using JJ ECC83/12AX7's with great results. It's a cheap tube, that I've also had good experiences with, if it had to be in the cheaper side of things. I guess it's like most modern amps I've tried, that are designed around new tubes, which in return won't profit from good NOS-tubes, besides the added reliability.

I'm currently running the amp with a PRS Custom 22 or a Fender Telecaster Japan '85 with Suhrs into a Deluxe Memory Man and straight into the amp. I've never been an effects-loop kinda guy, and I really like the way the amp responds to having the delay kicked into the distorted channel. Cleans are awesome by the way!!!

Kind regards, Jake

I run a full set of JJ 6L6's with GZ 34 rectifiers and high gain preamp tubes from Bob at http://www.eurotubes.com/ Killer sound !!! He has different gain options for the preamp tubes.

mike

I use JJ 6L6's and EL34L's, Mesa's EL34's, for preamp tubes I like the Russian or Chinese over the JJ's just because it sounds to me like they take a little too much off the high end (But nothing that cant be fixed with a turn of the EQ)
Right now I have some NOS pre's in and they sound a little better than all three, but not by much. It still sounds like a Recto at the end of the day:)

Latest posts

Back